1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Which region had the best Gym Leaders?

Discussion in 'Poképolls' started by NovaBrunswick, Jan 11, 2020.

?

Which region do you think had the best Gym Leaders?

1. Kanto

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. Johto

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Hoenn

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Sinnoh

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Unova

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Kalos

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  7. Galar

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

Is it weird that the Kanto Gym Leaders are memorable to me mostly because of the TCG and not the games or anime itself? I didn't mind them in the video games of course, and the anime actually made some of them more interesting, but whenever I picture the Kanto Gym Leaders I always envision their TCG artwork.

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  2. Prof. SALTY

Prof. SALTY The Scruffy Professor

That one is pretty heavily implied

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  3. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

I always remember the one of Misty doing a sort of "rock-paper-scissors" pose at the viewer with her Horsea, and the one of her hugging her Staryu, (apparently) naked. I think that one was only in Japan though - the Western version just has Misty in tears (in her clothes, obviously).

Leonhart likes this.
  4. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

Yes, there was a TCG card that showed Kasumi (Misty) naked, although it wasn't necessarily graphic and was more artistic than anything else from my perspective. I liked the English TCG version of that card more however, because it showed Zenigame (Squirtle) wiping away Kasumi's tears, which I thought looked cuter. I really like Kasumi in general and she's definitely among my favorite Gym Leaders overall, not just from Gen I.

NeedsAName and NovaBrunswick like this.
  5. Ubermuk

Ubermuk Sticky & Sweet

Kanto. I know that it's the most obvious genwunner type answer but screw it, I loved the Kanto gym leaders. Sabrina was the best one because she had crazy psychic powers.

6. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Well-Known Member

I'd say the Gym leaders for Unova and Galar are my personal favourites. I like how many of the Gym Leaders in Unova had other jobs besides running their gyms, Elesa is a fashion model, Skyla is a pilot, Drayden is Opelucid City's mayor etc., it gives them a bit more character than just "this person you need to defeat to move the story forwad".
    I like a lot of the Galar Gym Leaders too, the League Cards are a great way to flesh out the characters without any lengthy exposition during the main story, like Gordie and Melony possibly having a strained relationship due to a falling out, and Bea's tough exterior hiding a little cutie who loves sweets and has problems expressing herself because of her harsh upbringing.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Leonhart, wolf jani and NeedsAName like this.
  7. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

I'll go with Unova, since I really liked Lenora, Elesa, Skyla, Drayden, Iris (in White) and Cheren.

TwilightBlade likes this.
  8. Mr.Munchlax

Mr.Munchlax Thunder Trainer

Personally, I consider the Kahunas as Alola's equivalent to the gym leaders since you had to battle them to get the obedience stamps & be able to travel to the next island (with the best one probably being Nanu), but I still like Galar & Unova the best.

Unova was the first region where I distinctly remembered all of the gym leaders since each of them made a lasting impression. They all were tied to the overall plot of the story in some way & had their own passions & personalities outside of heir gyms.

Galar was the best since they're the first gym leaders in the 3D games that weren't pushovers (except for Gordie). Though they didn't have a larger role in the story of Sword & Shield (aside from maybe Piers & Opal), they were also just as distinctive and memorable as Unova's gym leaders so battling them was still a great experience. Plus, the gym stadiums & the champion cup made battling them even more fun. The only thing I wish is that we got to see more of their personalities outside of their league cards such as a cutscene of Gordie talking with Melody or finding Bea trying to grab a few sweets.

Sinnoh & Kalos are probably tied for my third favorite, but I remember those gym leaders more for their portrayals in the anime than in the actual games. I mean, how many people who grew up when Gen 4 was out can honestly look at Byron and not hear the phrase "I LOVE FOSSILS!!" shouting in your head?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Leonhart likes this.
  9. TwilightBlade

TwilightBlade Well-Known Member

Sinnoh had Candice, Roark, Volkner and Maylene so that was my favourite region when it came to Gym leaders. Johto and Kanto have some good ones as well. :]

Leonhart likes this.