• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Region has your Favorite Legendary Lineup?

If this has been done I apologize.

This isn't a question of which legendaries are your favorites, but rather which regional set of legendaries is best overall. I'm curious.

Personally I lean toward the Unova Legendaries. Second place would probably be Sinnoh or Alola, probably an edge to Alola because the Lake Trio seems redundant within itself. I'm a bit of a Legendary nut so I do end up not considering Kanto, Johto or Kalos just because there are fewer and I don't prefer any of those legendaries over ones from other Gens.

Thoughts?

DiaRubyTandem

The Fastest Comeback
Hoenn!! It has the coolest legendary trio of all time for me! Also Hoenn has the three Regis, tho they are only few of 'em. They are cool and strong!

This is more of a poll, so it probably suits going there, but meh the mods can decide. As for opinions on the discussion, it's a tie between Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova. Hoenn has cool Pokemon like Deoxys and Rayquaza, Sinnoh has my favourite legendaries of all time (Uxie and Cresselia) and Unova has some of the best lore with Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem. Runner up goes to Alola for some b*d*ss Tapus and Nebby's story.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
For me, it would be Hoenn. It balanced quality and quantity the best in my eyes

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Unova would likely getting my vote for a combination of well thought design and general charm. The tons of thought put into the box cover legends and the layers upon layers of ways their aspects and traits come together to make sense is really impressive, and the ways each mascot fits into its respective version gives me tons of appreciation for this group. All the neat ways intentional or otherwise that each Tao dragon relates to the pokémon exclusive to its version could probably fill an article on its own. The Forces of Nature grew on me after learning their neat relationship with certain Japanese and Chinese lore, and the Swords of Justice largely get points because of the general shortage of ungulate-like pokémon. Landorus is in the same boat here, considering it was the first tiger pokémon since raikou, and much more charming than inceneroar (I just like landorus's attitude, that "what are you looking at" expression is just priceless). Genesect's the first bug legendary, so it's got a unique factor as well, and while I kind of wish it had a more novel typing than the highly common steel, I still think it's an interesting point of speculation as to how it relates to other prehistoric or bug type pokémon. Victini's pretty well designed, and probably balances cuteness and coolness the best out of the legendaries (the thing's got the influence of a Greek goddess in its design and it's somehow still less girly than mew). And as for meloetta, I just kind of like it. It's got dainty charm and is cute, plus its pirouette form was a first of its typing.

I guess it's a wonder Hoenn wasn't my first choice, seeing as Hoenn is my favourite region, but its roster was likely a victim of circumstance. Hoenn was the first to really ramp up its number of legendaries, introducing double the number of them, having more uber-level legendaries than ever before, and being the first games that were impossible to complete without running into a legendary pokémon. You'd have to work to get the beasts and birds, while you were much more likely to meet a kyogre in the game than a chimecho, which I found a tad strange for such supposedly rare, mythical beings. That and it took me a while to have an appreciation for legendaries in general. The idea of a mighty figure with powers on the level of a pagan deity being possible for any ol' Joe to pop into a ball and take control of didn't sit with me when I was getting into pokémon (which was around the time of the 3rd generation's release). By the 5th gen, I was getting into classical mythology, so the references were more fascinating to me at that point. And while I'll always have a certain fondness for the Hoenn legends for their Hebrew references, the lore is a tad more tangential to their design than some other legends, and they generally come off a bit less personable with their more titanic designs. The two mascots do connect pretty nicely to the other version exclusives though, and they're second only to Unova in that, so with all that, Hoenn probably is a second for me.

With the rest it's a bit of a tossup. I can appreciate the first two gens' legendaries for being properly sparse and elusive, though monster for monster, those gens have fewer favourites of mine than some others. Sinnoh's a bit lopsided for me, as it's got some pretty cool real animal inspiration (bobbit worms and cliones!!), some really well thought designs (especially dialga, it's really cleverly crafted as a time beast) and some altogether charming pokémon (giratina is crazy awesome, and shaymin is just plain adorable), but the box duo doesn't resonate as well with the other version exclusives as the adjacent generations, and for every cool design, there's one that comes off a dud (the Lake Guardians probably represent the essence of the Go teams even better than the birds, and they still didn't get to be mascots, they're that forgettable). Plus, Sinnoh will always be remembered as the gen which introduced poké-god. As for the latest two, they're a bit recent for me to make a full judgement. Kalos's lineup seems to have gone for the short and sweet route, but after the big dump in Unova it kind of comes off as a shortchange, especially considering the main three come more resemble the more recent model of "two box bigshots and a third member tacked on", leaving the "sub-uber trio and little legend" that usually comes with that package conspicuously absent. The pokémon themselves are likeable enough though, and decently designed, and line up with the regular exclusives better than gen 4 at least.

Well, that's my super wordy opinion. Definitely likeable aspects in all generations, though some lead me to like them more than others.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
Alola. It introduced some of my favorite legends like Type: Null and Silvally and the Cosmog line along with Necrozma and the mysterious Ultra Beasts. But my all time favorite Alolan legend has to be Cosmog. It's so cute!

Alola. It introduced some of my favorite legends like Type: Null and Silvally and the Cosmog line along with Necrozma and the mysterious Ultra Beasts. But my all time favorite Alolan legend has to be Cosmog. It's so cute!
I wouldnt call Type: Null and Silvanny legendary.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Can't really decide between Gen 2 and Gen 7.

I really like all the designs from gen 2; not one feels disappointing. The Beasts have a tragic backstory which is interesting, Celebi is a cute nature spirit and time traveller and the mascot duo are very majestic.

One thing gen 7 has going for is that the legendary actually gets character development, which is very rare, and it helps that Lunala is one of my favourite designed legends (Solgaleo is cool, but Lunala is better to me). If one counts Ultra Beasts, then they're another reason; I have really come to adore how bizarre they are and the concept is very interesting.

Honourable mention goes to gen 6. While Xerneas and Yveltal are among my favourites, I really feel they didn't get the justice they deserve. Not much is done with them sadly.

Regarding the Ultra Beast I've come to get really into them. At first they looked iffy and had weird design, but they grow on you and they are so damn scary.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
My favorite is the Inova legendaries followed by both Sinnoh and Alola legendaries. I like their designs and their backstories.

Last edited:

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
For me its Gen 2, Every design is great, and has been mentioned before, the beasts have great history, as does Ho-oh, Lugia is my all time favourite legendary and Celebi is my favourite mythical legendary. Plus there aren't too many, theres just enough. My 3 favourite legendary pokemon all come from Gen 2, Lugia, Entei and Celebi.

After Gen 2, Gen 4 is a close second, the mascot legendaries are brilliant, I love Giritina and Palkia, plus theres the the likes of Shaymin (especially Sky form), and Manaphy who can actually breed, Darkrai is one of the greatest legendaries there is, and has a cool rivalry with Cressilia, Heatran has a nice design. Heck I even like the Lake Trio, especially Azelf. And who can forget the God of all pokemon, Arceus, such a great pokemon, great history, its amazing.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Discounting Mythical Pokemon and ambiguous examples like the Type: Null line, here's how I consider things
* Generation I: This set the standard for legendaries, with Mewtwo remaining to this day one of the best due to the versatility and surprisingly deep lore for the first set of games. However it lacks the grandeur of later generations
* Generation II: While it does expand things somewhat, it remains lackluster in grandeur and I feel it is inferior to Generation I in that respect
* Generation III: I feel this works the best. It keeps versatility and grandeur, especially thanks to the new ability mechanic, while being a big part of the lore and fitting of the title legendary. There are just the right amount of legendaries
* Generation IV: This delves deep into the lore, however I feel that there are few average ones and that it kind of devalues the legendary concept so I put them below Generation III
* Generation V: Similar issues to Gen IV, but the middling flaw is expanded
* Generation VI: While they do quality over quantity, I feel that Gen III did it better. However I am split between it and Gen I
* Generation VII: It's only been recent. It feel it follows Gen III's ideas. I am actually considering ranking it at the top, just above III, because the legendaries there are incredibly personal

In terms of version mascots I am torn between the weather trio and the Cosmog line. In terms of legendary trios/quartets I would put the Tapus as a group and Zapdos as an individual. When it comes to legendaries that don't fit in a group, Mewtwo is definitely my choice

I'm personally not a very big fan of most legendary Pokemon, but Alola easily wins for me. I like both mascot legendaries, and if we include the Tapus as well, I love all four. Whether or not the ultra beasts are considered legendaries is ambiguous, but if they are then that makes it even better.

And even though Marshadow technically isn't released, its adorable too.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I'm personally not a very big fan of most legendary Pokemon, but Alola easily wins for me. I like both mascot legendaries, and if we include the Tapus as well, I love all four. Whether or not the ultra beasts are considered legendaries is ambiguous, but if they are then that makes it even better.

And even though Marshadow technically isn't released, its adorable too.

It's unclear whether the Tapus count as legendaries or not. The Ultra Beasts are a similar thing to legendaries, but technically aren't

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I don't know much about the Alola legendaries yet but now, it's Johto for me.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Johto has my favorite Legendary which is Ho-oh. I really like its design and have always been fascinated with the Phoenix. Rayquaza is my second favorite.

MattySadler

Generally I'm not a fan of Legendary Pokemon, largely because I think they have been increasingly overdone as this franchise has progressed, to the point where they have become completely devalued.

We went from five in Gen I, to six in Gen II, to ten in Gen III, to thirteen/ fourteen in Gen IV, to thirteen in Gen V. In my opinion we just got far too many, and I felt they became a bit of a joke.

For me, less is definitely more.

That being said, in answer to the question, I preferred the first batch of Legendaries, largely due to the simplicity.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Generally I'm not a fan of Legendary Pokemon, largely because I think they have been increasingly overdone as this franchise has progressed, to the point where they have become completely devalued.

We went from five in Gen I, to six in Gen II, to ten in Gen III, to thirteen/ fourteen in Gen IV, to thirteen in Gen V. In my opinion we just got far too many, and I felt they became a bit of a joke.

For me, less is definitely more.

That being said, in answer to the question, I preferred the first batch of Legendaries, largely due to the simplicity.

If less is more, then you'd probably like Sun and Moon. The only official legendaries are the Cosmog line and Necrozma.