• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which region is most like where you live?

Which region is most like where you live?

• Kanto

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Johto

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Sinnoh

• Unova

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Kalos

• Alola

• Orre

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Galar

• Total voters

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
All the regions in the Pokémon world have their basis on a place in the real world. Unova is inspired by New York, Kalos is inspired by France, Alola is inspired by Hawaii, etc.

But have you ever thought about the place you live and how it would match up with the regions? As an example, I live in England. Summers can be warm and sometimes exceeding hot, while winters are somewhat mild in the south and cold in the north. So I’d say either Sinnoh or Kalos come close, as Sinnoh is a snowy region - especially in the mountainous north, similar to Scotland - while Kalos is more temperate, and its inspiration is just across the channel from England. Also probably a little bit of Hoenn as it’s an island nation and surrounded by the sea on all sides, though obviously without all the tropical rainforests, volcanoes and palm trees! ;)

So which region would you compare your place of living to? There are many countries around the world, and not every one of them may become a region someday, so it doesn’t have to be a place that’s already become a region in itself.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Anyone from France, New York, Hawaii or most of Japan has a cheat sheet, don't they?

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I'm from the unnamed region that went to war with Kalos. ;P

I actually choose Sinnoh though, despite snow being rare-ish here. Sinnoh has a lot of features similar to England and the UK in general, like the mine, the islands, the forest and the seaside. Also of all the cities in pokemon Hearthome and Jubilife are the most like my city. Kalos however is a close second.

Last edited:

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I did live in the Kansai region of Japan for a while so Johto is the obvious choice there, though my home country and currently where I live isn't really all that similar to anything seen so far. Hoenn or Unova would be the closest but even then, neither are even close to as boring

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I live in NYC so Unova is the obvious choice but I did live in France for half a year so Kalos could’ve been nice

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Honestly it seems a little strange to me to compare to NYC to Unova. I know Unova is based on NYC and it even includes heaps of garbage Pokemon in the alley's as a reference to America's trash problem but even then it feels too clean and organized for an American city, honestly reminds me of the downtown areas in East Asia. I remember when that Castelia City leak came, a lot of people thought it was actually based on Hong Kong.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I live in NYC so Unova is the obvious choice but I did live in France for half a year so Kalos could’ve been nice

Kalos is more specifically based on the north of France, which means there could be an as-yet-unknown region which is based on the southern part. Kiloude City kind of reminds me of Nice, Cannes or the French Riviera, famous for their warm Mediterranean climate and beaches.

(The reason I included Orre as one of the poll options is because it's based on Arizona, more specifically the capital city, Phoenix. So if there's any Arizonans here, you could say you live in Orre. ;))

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
So now that Gen 8’s region has finally been revealed, I guess I can say I live in
Galar
now. :D

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Probably Unova or Galar, with the suburbs and our big city of Chicago.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Probably Unova or Galar, with the suburbs and our big city of Chicago.

I’d say probably the former, even though Unova is based on New York and not Chicago, since Galar is based on Britain.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
You know. There was one thing I always thought was missing from the Japanese-inspired regions. The lack of those East Asian-style river walkways. I don't think that's the correct word but there like these grassy parks where a water way cuts through in the middle with rock-made bridges and on each side of the river way there's this stone pavement that's very specific in East Asian culture, the common ones are usually just stairs and stone.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur

When the Gen 8 anime comes out, they better voice everyone with British actors. American accents in a British region just don’t sound right. :/

As well as Big Ben and all the landmarks we know, they could do Edinburgh Castle, the Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol and the Angel of the North. ;)

Kein

AKA Silktree
I voted for Kanto, but Johto is a far better pick. You have Goldenrod as a robust but not too urban city (Tel Aviv), Ecruteak and Violet as religious places (Jerusalem), Ruins of Alph as an archaeology site (Masada and various others), Olivine as a port city (Haifa), Azalea and Blackthorn as rural areas (countless kibbutzim and moshavim), six caves (many more), and Mt. Silver as a snowy mountain during the winter (Mount Hermon).

The main geographical difference is that Johto lacks a desert, while Israel doesn't have any notable islands.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur