• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which return did you like the best?

Sham

The Guardian of War
RIP Brock
While Lillies was fine and Gary’s was spectacular, Serena’s return was far and away the best. Not only did she help Chloe develop, but we got an amazing Amourshipping moment with her and Ash. That moment could have been done different (and how they follow up that moment will decide if Serena’s return ages for better or more worse) and there were other flaws (the ribbon being absent, Delphox and Pancham having limited screentime, no new Pokémon) but her return greatly exceeded my expectations because I thought it was going to be crap because JN.

AllOfAshmon

Mezase Pokemon Master- Thank You Ash and Pikachu
Gary- Never thought Ash would see him again due to Gary being an reseacher and last seen stationed at Sinnoh and was quite suprised to see him taking part in PM missions

Serena - As slated by many user here during my time browsing the comment about the kiss between Ash and Serena at the end of Kalos

Paul and Alain - Never thought they would return in any form

I will throw a curveball, Chuck and Drake - Same reason as Paul and Alain

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
In all honesty, I’ve been relatively disappointed in every single one of them, except for Lillie of course, as that episode was absolutely beautiful.. Brocks little scene in the TR episode was also simple, yet effective..

Everyone else was meh..

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Best returns:
Serena - best character ever and she was wonderful as always
Iris - she gain massive power boost and she is beautiful
Lillie - You will be shocked, but yes. While she was super boring for me, as always, and I couldn’t keep watching all the episode, I saw that her face got fixed after the awful sm artstyle. She has a nice design so it’s nice that now it’s not ruined by that ew artstyle of last series.

Worst returns-
1. I love Dawn but she felt pointless in these eps and out of place
2. The sm children , could have been replaced with random cotd and the outcome of the ep would be the same for me

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Best returns;
1) Gary: He's gotten an amazing natural role in this series as a series regular in a seamless and perfect way
2) Lillie: I'll give my thoughts about her soon enough in the episode discussion thread (life's been busy so haven't visited the forums much) but I don't think it's a surprise to anyone I absolutely loved her episode after the BEAUTIFUL writing that was last week's episode
3) Serena: Already stated why multiple times but her return was absolutely perfect and in many ways redeemed XYs finale for me
4) Iris: Had the best glowup and I love how she's part of the narrative
5) Sophs: The perfect subtle return, following on his SM growth and developing him naturally
6) Brock: Freaking badass in the DP specials, simple but effective usage
7) Dawn: I find the 'JN ruined her' comments extremely childish and while we didn't get to spend personal time with her i enjoyed her being part of the gang again and her interactions with Chloe. None of her mons evolving isn't really an issue for me
8) Clemont and Bonnie: Had an amazing return that utilised them perfectly
9) The rest of the Alola gang: The SM episodes were absolutely PERFECT and a good continuation of SM, the reason others are ranked above is because we got more storylines with them
10) Mewtwo: He's the only return I've been disappointed by actually, but still happy we got the OG Mewtwo back

KukuiFanatic501

Pokegirl wise, Lillies my absolute favorite return, followed by Serena (yes I said it) and Iris tying for second, Iris being next and then Dawn.

Lillies the only Pokegirl and character who managed to complete the goals she set for herself and her families well deserved conclusion to their Mohn search arc was absolutely beautiful and an incredible milestone. I haven’t watched the Alola battle royale episode yet, so I won’t comment on that, but Lillies really come a long long way since her SM days and am looking forward to what the future may have in store for her next.

Serena isn’t my favorite Pokegirl and I don’t care for her too much, but giving credit where credits due, her glow up in JN is a major improvement from how things with her ended in XY. She played an important role in mentoring Chloe and helping her shape her future. She’s matured a great deal in her contest progress and I wish her a lot of luck. Iris’s glow up is just as much great to see too, finally becoming a region champion and taking that big step towards her dragon master goal. Becoming essentially Ash’s strongest traveling companion has made her grow a lot since BW and I’m really proud of her.

While Dawn didn’t get much change since her last reappearance in the series, I also don’t share the same sentiment that JN “ruined” her like some here like to exaggerate on. Her coming back so much and interacting with the cast again, also being the first to help inspire Chloe, has been great to see. Dawns always been a fan favorite and doesn’t need too much updates or change in order to make me happy to see her. So while her reappearance in JN wasn’t as strong as others, it was just as exciting and great to see her as we did the others.

Disregarding the Pokegirls, Gary is easily the strongest return from the male characters for me too, followed by Kukui and Brock. I thought we’d never see him again since his days in Sinnoh but to come back as the rival for Ash’s new companion and help encourage and teach him a few things has been amazing.

Kukui doesn’t have much on his plate (SADLY!) for his returns in JN but it’s an amazing milestone to see him having developed a family and bring forth a little brother for Ash to have. Gary’s the stronger return but Kukuis the one I like more.

Then we have Brock, who’s great to see again since SM, and is getting closer to his Pokémon doctor goal.

Last edited:

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
Best: Lillie + Gladion, Serena

Great: Iris, Gary, Sophocles, Kiawe, Kukui

Good: Mallow, Lana, Dawn, Brock, Clemont + Bonnie

Meh: Korrina, Mewtwo

TBD: Paul, Alain

TurboAceK

For me Iris and Gary

Gary is actually playing a part in Goh’s journey and Iris not as actively but is also playing a part in Ash’s. Them actually having roles in the main characters plot weighs more to me kinda like May with Dawn in DP weighed more as a return Dawn in BW and etc

Where other characters like Lillie, Sophocles, Brock, Clemont and Bonnie were all good they also felt more like updates/catching up with them which were great especially in cases like Lillie’s but I couldn’t put it over the role Iris and Gary seem to be playing (Clemont did play a part as well with Ash just not as well handled as Iris or Gary I feel)

And characters like Serena and Dawn also fall into that but there return was more with Chloe which was good for her character and had solid returns in general but I couldn’t put it over the involvement Gary and Iris have on the main duo

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Is it too early to change my answer to Tracey? I’m sure the way he’ll do pretty much nothing while standing there with Ash’s Pokémon will surely surpass all of our expectations..