• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Shipping do you think has the the maximum capacity to be Canon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bahmo

Now that you make me think about it, Ash may be ten, but so are some other characters and it hasn't stopped them from having romantic feelings; plus the show runners admit to designing female characters in part to give their viewers fanservice, so they obviously think ten-year-olds can have some arousal.

Therefor yeah; if we grant it's not necessarily about age, then the possibility that Ash is gay makes as much sense as any other. Although I think it would take some rather aggressive writing to make that conclusion obvious to male viewers just exiting their "girls have cooties" phase, since they view being more interested in other boys as normal.

Kiryn

Ten year olds may have crushes, but at least in my experience, they don't really have actual relationships. To me, that's more of a thing for teenagers. Middle school (12-13) at the earliest. I don't mind kids having crushes, and XY in general, games and anime, is a bit weird in that it seems like the characters are older than ever before (heck, in the BW games, the player characters are stated to be 14), but last we knew in the anime, Ash was still 10 just last season, and the thought of kids that young actually dating kind of makes me uncomfortable. I mean, when I'm shipping, I sort of AU it a bit, and pretend that Ash has been aging all this time, but since this is a discussion about canon....well.

True. And of course, generally speaking queer characters/relationships have to be exhaustively proven within the canon, and even then, you'll still have people deny it. And Ash doesn't even necessarily have to be gay--he could be bi, or a lot of other queer identities, and it'd be awesome for a franchise as big as Pokemon to finally give queer kids some representation, and to have the chance to see themselves and cute, innocent crushes when they hardly ever get to. As I said with cases like Shauna in the XY games, the franchise seems like it's opening themselves up to the possibility, which would be lovely.

And the beauty about Diode in particular is that we've already had examples of how Ash has interacted with boy travelling companions in the past (Brock, Tracey, and Cilan), and again, at least to me, the way Ash is with Clemont is markedly different. It'd be a good example of how attraction works, and that just because you're interested in this one person, it doesn't mean that you're automatically attracted to every person of that gender.

Idk, ultimately the anime is advertisement for the game series, and is otherwise aimed at children, and to teach them good morals (about friendship, compassion, perseverance in the face of adversity, pursuing dreams and goals, etc), and I feel that, in ships like Diode becoming canon, there'd be fodder for a lot of good life lessons, representation, and would further existing themes like tolerance and the like. *shrugs*

Bahmo

Ten year olds may have crushes, but at least in my experience, they don't really have actual relationships. To me, that's more of a thing for teenagers. Middle school (12-13) at the earliest. I don't mind kids having crushes, and XY in general, games and anime, is a bit weird in that it seems like the characters are older than ever before (heck, in the BW games, the player characters are stated to be 14), but last we knew in the anime, Ash was still 10 just last season, and the thought of kids that young actually dating kind of makes me uncomfortable. I mean, when I'm shipping, I sort of AU it a bit, and pretend that Ash has been aging all this time, but since this is a discussion about canon....well.

True. And of course, generally speaking queer characters/relationships have to be exhaustively proven within the canon, and even then, you'll still have people deny it. And Ash doesn't even necessarily have to be gay--he could be bi, or a lot of other queer identities, and it'd be awesome for a franchise as big as Pokemon to finally give queer kids some representation, and to have the chance to see themselves and cute, innocent crushes when they hardly ever get to. As I said with cases like Shauna in the XY games, the franchise seems like it's opening themselves up to the possibility, which would be lovely.

And the beauty about Diode in particular is that we've already had examples of how Ash has interacted with boy travelling companions in the past (Brock, Tracey, and Cilan), and again, at least to me, the way Ash is with Clemont is markedly different. It'd be a good example of how attraction works, and that just because you're interested in this one person, it doesn't mean that you're automatically attracted to every person of that gender.

Idk, ultimately the anime is advertisement for the game series, and is otherwise aimed at children, and to teach them good morals (about friendship, compassion, perseverance in the face of adversity, pursuing dreams and goals, etc), and I feel that, in ships like Diode becoming canon, there'd be fodder for a lot of good life lessons, representation, and would further existing themes like tolerance and the like. *shrugs*

It's always been rather questionable what being ten means in this series. It obviously isn't adult, but it also has to be seen as some benchmark of maturity it isn't in our world, since that's when they let people arm themselves with super-powered monsters and go adventuring away from parents--with no apparent time they're mandated to come back. That means they're also more likely to meet the opposite sex and have more chances to fall in love. Ash also has what qualifies as machismo, in that he's obsessed with personal glory.

Bananarama

The light is coming
If Butch and Cassidy ever return, I'd say Neoshipping has a good shot at being canon. They had really good chemistry, just like Jessie and James, and I think that it would be nice if they maybe returned as a couple.

If you're talking ships that involve Ash in any way, they're all pretty much doomed. The only feasible chance of any sort of ship with Ash in it is if the series is ending. And the fact he's apparently immortal with his eternal youth pretty much seals the deal.

Of course, if you're not talking about Ash, there's a whole myriad of possibilities. But, as mentioned before, almost none of them will ever come true because Pokémon in general simply isn't geared with romance in mind. Of course, some of the movies have a few...interesting moments - I'm looking at you in particular, Heroes - but the movies are apparently in an alternate timeline to the standard anime, so any hope of that is also pretty much trashed. If there will be any sort of serious shipping in the anime, they almost certainly won't be involving the main characters you see every episode; they'll be minor side characters that star in one - perhaps two - episodes.

Aside from that? Shipping won't be happening anytime soon in the anime.

Ninjagamer720

Pearlshipper 4 EVER!
Well when Pokemon just began Pokeshipping looked obvious but alot of years have passed now and i cant see theme now returning together as she has been mentioned with tracy alot of times now.

Nevertheless Pearlshipping would make the most sense as she and Ash really clicked and were so alike. Now im not stating this just because im a huge pearlshipper but if you think about it the community was all fired up for Pearlshipping to be canon just like Amourshipping but the writers always deny us. The crush that the writers gave serena was for plots sake and her characters sake. I like serena alot but a kiddy crush should'nt go so far

Was ContestShipping confirmed to be canon? I don't think AmourShipping will ever become canon. Ash is still as dense as a rock after all these years.

Sephora

yes I'm back
Lool people are so bias with their answers obviously. Seeing diodeshipping and negaishipping of all things had me rolling.

Anyway, at this point, I'd say Rocketshipping (& Contest probably)

To be honest, I could see RocketShipping working.

In the fandom.

If it were to become a reality in canon, our beloved duo - along with their talking cat - would either have to make an exit from the show, as they're recurring characters, or the anime altogether would have to end. And since Pokémon's writers appears to be hellbent on preventing all possible ships between main characters of any kind, this would only work if, as I stated before, they were planning on dumping the trio from the show altogether. Romance is generally considered far too mature for the anime's main target demographic (these days, anyway).

If any major shipping was introduced into canon, Pokémon would be under a lot of fire from the media, the public and fans especially. Don't even start on the shipping wars that would undoubtedly commence; as soon as one popular shipping - no matter what it may be - becomes implemented into canon, fans will quite literally demand that their preferred ships or OTPs be introduced alongside it. And there'd also be huge demand to bring back old characters, e.g. Misty, May, Brock, etc. ContestShipping is probably the only main-character ship that came anywhere close to becoming a reality, and even then there wasn't much hope for it anyway due to the nature of the show.

It all comes down to money and business in the end; implementing ships into canon would be very, very risky in terms of profitability. They'd gain a lot of viewers, but they'd also most likely lose many more.

Last edited:

Bananarama

The light is coming
If it were to become a reality in canon, our beloved duo - along with their talking cat - would either have to make an exit from the show, as they're recurring characters, or the anime altogether would have to end.

I don't see how the writers couldn't implement Rocketshipping into the show and still keep them as recurring characters. If anything, they would still be united with their common goal of getting Ash's Pikachu.

And if shows like Avatar could include pairings in their canon, I don't see anything stopping Pokémon from doing the same.

Musashi~

Fiery Destroyer! <3
Ash is asexual in my opinion so I would never think of any shipping involving him to be canon although I wish Negaishipping was. ^^

Contestshipping had lots of potential for a canon shipping but It pretty much died after May and Drew left.Now I don't think it has any chance anymore.

Rocketshipping definitely has lots of potential.It may end something like in the Manga.The bond of friendship they have is very strong and realistic,plus they aren't ten year olds.The whole concept of James being gay is completely baseless imo.

BlueDragonfangirl

Yah, I'd say Contestshipping has the best odds, that and Orangeshipping ( Tracey X Misty ) Look at we last saw between the two pairings.

I'd like to say Ash X Serena pairing but I don't think will know about any Ash pairings becoming canon till the series ends.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Rocketshipping is canon in the Manga but seeing that the anime is loosely based on the Manga,I don't think they'll get married.But at least they can confess their feelings for each other,quit Team rocket and live together. :)

Dengeki Pikachu/Electric Tale of Pikachu is loosely based on the anime, not the other way around.

SatoSereFan224888

Amourshipping for sure will be canon!

Red Pheonix

Amourshipping and rocketshipping.

I actually consider rocketshipping semi-canon. The only thing stopping from it being a canon is that jessie and james didn't kiss yet.

And of course, Amourshipping is the most closest to being a canon Ash pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.