• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which shipping(s) do you not understand? READ THE FIRST POST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelc

It's a rainy day, and I'm sick. So, I think of things like this. ;222;

Which shipping(s) do you not understand? THIS IS NOT A WHICH SHIPPING DO YOU HATE? TOPIC. THIS IS NOT A PLACE TO BASH ANY SHIPPINGS. DO EITHER OF THESE THINGS, AND YOU WILL BE INFRACTED. This is for people who have tried to understand why people ship x-character and y-character, yet still do not see how anyone can possibly ship them together. This is where supporters of said ship come in, and reply with reasons as to why they support the ship.

If that sounds confusing, here's an example of what I mean:

Questioning Shipper - I don't understand why people support Pearlshipping. I've tried to find the moments in the episodes, and I've read some fics and looked at fan art, but I'm just not getting it. Can a Pearlshipper help me out?

[Pearl/whichever]shipper - I support Pearlshipping because...[reasons here]...and here is a list of the moments in the show [listed here]. I hope this information helps you better understand Pearlshipping.

Make sense? :p If you still have questions, just lemme know by VM or PM.

Now, why did I create this topic? I think everyone here should try to be more open minded when it comes to shipping, and try to look "outside the box." I realize that not everyone limits themselves to certain ships, but I think many people might learn a thing or two in this thread. With all that said, have fun! :]

Yeti

Banned
Aight I feel this.

Straight up I have been pondering since DP was released how people can support Conjunctionshipping :\
It makes no sense to me, Mars is underage and Saturn is too young for her really she needs an older man who's much more dominant. Not to mention Platinum sort of shot it down with her going off to find Cyrus... how can people still support it after that?? Like, just wondering. 8/
Saturn seems like he'd get annoyed with how childish Mars is since he's all workaholic and crap he'd need a much more mature woman (IE Jupiter) who wouldn't be all clingy.
MUCH RESPECT I just don't get the ship at all.
;107;

Batman Beyond

The Tommorow Knight
Basically I don't understand, "opposites attract" shippings of any kind. In real life it's psychologically impossible to be anything other than physically attracted to your opposite. Your "opposite is everything you don't like and try to distance yourself from. Like how nice people tend to avoid mean people. Now this isn't the same as "one completes the other" like outgoing-shy, but more like how two people can't get along and even if they develope a relationship, if they don't get along it'll be nothing but hurtful, violent and unhappy. And the premise that two characters who constantly argue is funny is just annoying to me. I can't see why that's supposed to be funny.

I don't see how an opposites dynamic would equal a romantic involvment as opposed to an enemies and fighting against one another involvment. Opposites build the premise for people who don't like each other. I also don't see how these two opposing forces coming together romantically is interesting since they wouldn't be able to get along and wouldn't stay in each others company, making the ship, even if it was canon all but pointless because you get nothing you like out of the shipping.

I just don't get it, the idea is too antagonistic to signal a working relationship, and I'm not saying couples have to interlock perfectly but full blown opposites? Can someone explain this to me?

Avegaille

ジャッジメントですの!
Basically I don't understand, "opposites attract" shippings of any kind. In real life it's psychologically impossible to be anything other than physically attracted to your opposite. Your "opposite is everything you don't like and try to distance yourself from. Like how nice people tend to avoid mean people. Now this isn't the same as "one completes the other" like outgoing-shy, but more like how two people can't get along and even if they develope a relationship, if they don't get along it'll be nothing but hurtful, violent and unhappy. And the premise that two characters who constantly argue is funny is just annoying to me. I can't see why that's supposed to be funny.

I don't see how an opposites dynamic would equal a romantic involvment as opposed to an enemies and fighting against one another involvment. Opposites build the premise for people who don't like each other. I also don't see how these two opposing forces coming together romantically is interesting since they wouldn't be able to get along and wouldn't stay in each others company, making the ship, even if it was canon all but pointless because you get nothing you like out of the shipping.

I just don't get it, the idea is too antagonistic to signal a working relationship, and I'm not saying couples have to interlock perfectly but full blown opposites? Can someone explain this to me?

You know, that makes me wonder too, so don't worry, you're not alone in that boat... though I actually find the "one completes the other" type of relationship very cute, in fact, I feel like I've abused this genre with my stuff... lawlz, ignore that part... anyways...

In real life, it's true it's practically impossible for two opposing personalities and hates the other to get along at all, I suppose people who write this kind of stuff thinks it'll sell so much when people read it due to the irony in it, so they make it. After all, it's fiction, anything possible. =x

I suppose one example you're talking about is... IkariShipping, am I correct? That is what comes to my mind when I read your post... so yeah... I'll use it... xD;; Anyways, because Pokemon is so vague, or oblivious when it comes to romantic relationships (minus the married or already having a relationship together characters) that it's up to the fans to assume if there's something that might or will go on between any character that interacts with each other there. So it's no surprise that you'll see some fans of Paul and Dawn "having this romantic relationship somewhere" despite the obvious fact that they can't even get along and Paul never even bothers with Dawn... at all... (no bashing plz, this is what I see, and I am actually neutral to Ikarishipping, or any shipping in general, in fact, I contradict the shippings I support with other shippings).

So to sum it up or the tl;dr thing... people do opposites attract type of relationships because of the irony it creates and how much it sells, and in the Pokemon fandom, because shipping is so vague, it's up to the fans to do the assuming between these two opposite characters. xD;

FlameRose

I've... never understood OldRivalshipping. They've interacted, what, twice? Blue did call him cute on their first meeting, yes, but she was somewhere around 11 then. She hasn't done anything similar since then, and he seems to think she's annoying and pesky. So could any OldRivalShippers enlighten me? Thanks in advance.

I've... never understood OldRivalshipping. They've interacted, what, twice? Blue did call him cute on their first meeting, yes, but she was somewhere around 11 then. She hasn't done anything similar since then, and he seems to think she's annoying and pesky. So could any OldRivalShippers enlighten me? Thanks in advance.

This is one of the biggest questions that got to my mind when I read the topic of this thread. So please could anyone explain it to us? :)

Last edited:

Batman Beyond

The Tommorow Knight
You know, that makes me wonder too, so don't worry, you're not alone in that boat... though I actually find the "one completes the other" type of relationship very cute, in fact, I feel like I've abused this genre with my stuff... lawlz, ignore that part... anyways...

In real life, it's true it's practically impossible for two opposing personalities and hates the other to get along at all, I suppose people who write this kind of stuff thinks it'll sell so much when people read it due to the irony in it, so they make it. After all, it's fiction, anything possible. =x

I suppose one example you're talking about is... IkariShipping, am I correct? That is what comes to my mind when I read your post... so yeah... I'll use it... xD;; Anyways, because Pokemon is so vague, or oblivious when it comes to romantic relationships (minus the married or already having a relationship together characters) that it's up to the fans to assume if there's something that might or will go on between any character that interacts with each other there. So it's no surprise that you'll see some fans of Paul and Dawn "having this romantic relationship somewhere" despite the obvious fact that they can't even get along and Paul never even bothers with Dawn... at all... (no bashing plz, this is what I see, and I am actually neutral to Ikarishipping, or any shipping in general, in fact, I contradict the shippings I support with other shippings).

So to sum it up or the tl;dr thing... people do opposites attract type of relationships because of the irony it creates and how much it sells, and in the Pokemon fandom, because shipping is so vague, it's up to the fans to do the assuming between these two opposite characters. xD;

I don't care for the anime but I see where you're coming from. In fiction when someone does something physically impossible is when it's amazing. But when it goes against psychology, it's usually OOC or just plain stupid. There are exceptions, like when something is just a theory or when the psychology is directly adressed but I don't think "opposites attract" is a realistic OR attractive concept.

This is one of the biggest questions that got to my mind when I read the topic of this thread. So please could anyone explain it to us? :)

I think it's just that they look "cute" together, even though it has little or no hints. What I would like to know is why some OldRivalShippers think it's as hint heavy as Special, Lucky, or Frantic.

XxM!styxX

shooting the moon ☆
I don't understand why people support ships involving characters that have never met... It just doesn't make any sense to me. They never met so how would they ever end up together? And I'm talkin about those REAL random ones, like let's say a gym leader from Johto and a trainer for Sinnoh that have zilch to do with each other.
Someone please explain??? I just don't see it because you don't have any sort of shippiness in any fashion to begin with, so how does it attract you to ship it??

darklord18

I don't understand why people support ships involving characters that have never met... It just doesn't make any sense to me. They never met so how would they ever end up together? And I'm talkin about those REAL random ones, like let's say a gym leader from Johto and a trainer for Sinnoh that have zilch to do with each other.
Someone please explain??? I just don't see it because you don't have any sort of shippiness in any fashion to begin with, so how does it attract you to ship it??

Well for one, because it a never met it fun to think how they would met and how they get along. Also it because maybe there personality can work together. just Never met are different for other because they allow the supporter to think of scene on how they can meet or how they act together.

and the one you just mention well maybe there personality are close to the same or they use the same type, there countless reason why people ship a never met. Some because of the personality they have, some because they think they great together.

Why do we get attract to a nevermet well simple, because we find them cute or nice together or many other reason that I don't know. Me I do it because their personality are the same and they both use a psychic type. And both have trick Ash.

hope that answer your question. I try my best to give you a good answer as my OTP is a never met.

sorry but I busy at the moment so I post a question later.

Last edited:

XxM!styxX

shooting the moon ☆
Well for one, because it a never met it fun to think how they would met and how they get along. Also it because maybe there personality can work together. just Never met are different for other because they allow the supporter to think of scene on how they can meet or how they act together.

and the one you just mention well maybe there personality are close to the same or they use the same type, there countless reason why people ship a never met. Some because of the personality they have, some because they think they great together.

Why do we get attract to a nevermet well simple, because we find them cute or nice together or many other reason that I don't know. Me I do it because their personality are the same and they both use a psychic type. And both have trick Ash.
Ohh I gotcha, yeah I never really thought of it that way, you definitely answered my question! :) I can understand how it would be fun to try to make one up from thin air because you don't have any specific rules to go by other than their canonic personalities.
Thank you~~

Forestwolf

<3 Pokeshipping!
I actally don't understand myself BUT i do support CynthiaxVolkner, and they have never met in the anime or anything but it's possible since they are both in sinnoh... anyway how it 'attracts' me to ship it was just cause i thought they looked cute together which isn't exactly a reason. it all started when i was paginf though a DiamondPearl(the Ds game)guide book, I saw a picture with cynthia and all the gym leaders, and i saw Volkner sitting right by Cynthia and from that moment on i support the ship. I guess that people just choose that they like a ship even if there are no hints. They just start a fandom and use there imagination, I drew a fanart for cynthinaxvolkner. NOTE: Since i didn't exactly answer this someone else can add to this!

Avegaille

ジャッジメントですの!

The reason why people ship never-mets, is because they do for the sake of alternative shipping. Mainstream shippings (ships you see all the time in the anime, manga and even games) sometimes bores the hell out of alternative shippers because they know there's shipping in those kinds already and they are limited to hints given.

While in a never-met shipping, there are no rules or whatsoever about the hints and arguments mainstream shippings get. The best way to deal with never-mets is through your imagination and work with what the characters already posses. Personalities, what they like and what both of these characters who never met might like doing together... yep... the rest is up to you.

Plus, since it's a never-met, chances are, you're the first person who thought of it... now isn't that even more fun, to have a shipping you made, with lesser people to argue with, because it's a never-met shipping? 8D

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I don't understand Tucker/Harley. On the surface it seems like people ship them because they're both flamboyant, but I can't see how they'd get along.

I also don't get some "defaults" in ships. Like how Dawn gets paired with everyone in Sinnoh, but Lucas hardly gets anything. Back in Hoenn it was even more confusing, since it seemed there were people May got paired with (the two Team leaders, Wallace, Winona) and people Brendan got paired with (Steven, Wally), and there's hardly any deviation from those. They're, for all intents and purposes, the same character, given that their actions are the same because you have the same options. So shouldn't they pretty much be interchangable in gameverse?

Mel-Girl

left. right.
Aight I feel this.

Straight up I have been pondering since DP was released how people can support Conjunctionshipping :\
It makes no sense to me, Mars is underage and Saturn is too young for her really she needs an older man who's much more dominant. Not to mention Platinum sort of shot it down with her going off to find Cyrus... how can people still support it after that?? Like, just wondering. 8/
Saturn seems like he'd get annoyed with how childish Mars is since he's all workaholic and crap he'd need a much more mature woman (IE Jupiter) who wouldn't be all clingy.
MUCH RESPECT I just don't get the ship at all.
;107;

Eh, nobody else has answered it from the looks of things so I'll take a crack at it.

The age thing can be total interpretation by the way. Mars' real age isn't confirmed iirc so Conjunctionshippers may find that Mars and Saturn are around the same age as each other. Also, Mars and Saturn are probably the two most popular of the TG gang and most people have a tendency to pair their favourites up with each other - that's how you can get people who support ships like Ikari and heck, even Bishieshipping in my case.

Also continuing on the physical side of things, some people would prefer Mars to be the dominant one plus may believe that Mars and Saturn make the more attractive couple. Of course, this stuff is mere opinion cuz I think red and blue make a good combination, but blue and purple, red and purple both kick ass as well. XD

Does Mars necessarily need someone who is more dominant than her? Again, that's just an interpretation of her character. Some Conjunctionshippers prefer her to be the boss of things.

Does Saturn need someone who is older than him? Well, not necessarily. You can still get older people with lacking maturity. Maturity =/= age. Some Conjunctionshippers may believe that putting Saturn with a more mature woman would be as fun. Sure, they'd probably have smart, logical chats but that isn't exactly shippy. Conjunctionshippers like Conjunctionshipping because it's a pairing that has fun added to it.

They may think that because Saturn's a workaholic that he needs to break out of his shell and get out there and do more crazy stuff, have more fun and believe that Mars can do that. Mars is not really what I'd call childish by the way. She's the fiesty type, the way I see things. Sure, that type of attitude could come across as a bit much for Saturn at first, but they're all Commanders and I think their loyalty to serve Akagi would come before irritation with one another, so the two would have to get along at some point. So Conjunctionshippers may possibly see a love-hate thing going on with Mars and Saturn. Also again, Mars = clingy is just fan interpretation of her character. I, on the other hand don't see her being particularly clingy and more, while she'd go off and tease her fellow Commanders, she'd still have a sense of independence.

I mean, she's a Commander, she can't have gotten that position without showing good and actual signs of leadership. So I think that she definitely has a mature side to her and Conjunctionshippers may believe that she does have the maturity to be with a guy like Saturn. They may think that Saturn and Jupiter won't have as much fun in a relationship. Also while Mars does have that devotion thing going on for Akagi aka BIG BOSS MAN, something she'll have to learn is that Akagi doesn't show his emotions well and his number one priority are his goals that he wants to achieve and iirc, falling in love isn't one of them. So Mars could have all the devotion she wants but still get next to nothing from it all.

Why can't people still support a shipping even with certain hints? I mean, there are people who support Advanceshipping even though others may believe Contestshipping to be the most canon shipping in Pokemon and Haruka ran off to the same region as Shuu and all. So a hint can't nullify reasons to support another ship. Sure, it can mean that a ship is being more pointed at in terms of canon but uh, this is Pokemon, at least a third of us don't give a toss for the canon. XD;

On that note of loyalty towards Akagi, that could be a problem in terms of well, Mars x Saturn, Saturn x Jupiter, Jupiter x Mars due to the fact that their loyalty towards him becomes first before anything. I think that it would be hard for any relationship to sustain, not an open one at least. LOL, I'm not really doing much answering to your question but I do have some thoughts that I may contribute to that new TG Shipping Thread sooner or later. Okay, back to answering.

Well, I hope I did a decent job of answering your question. XD; I'm generally open to all the TG shippings so I did try to answer with a Conjunctionshipper POV and all. Btw, I wasn't trying to deny other ships so sorry if I sounded like I did. XD;

Short version: people may think Mars and Saturn look good together, prefer the idea of their possible love-hate relationship, don't feel threatened by hints pointing towards conflicting ships... Actually, I hate summarising, just read what I wrote. XD

-

Okay, now I want to ask about some things. How can people get into ships with characters from the anime with movie-only characters (EG. Kissshipping, Altoshipping)? It's something that's been puzzling me for a while. Like, I support some nevermet/crackships and get fun from that but anime character x movie-only character ships have never really clicked with me and I'm interested to know how other people came to like them.

Also, one more thing, how can people stick to one shipping per character? It's something else that's been bugging me for a while because I always get that vibe like they're not being very openminded when actually, they could've considered all possibilities and just have happened to stick to the ones they deem their favourite above the others.

Sorry, mine aren't pointing to one ship in particular.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper

When people talk about opposites attracting, they're usually talking about superficial differences like interests. Or maybe their personalities tend to conflict. But with these kinds of relationships, they're usually more similar than different. They tend to have the same values and can empathize with each other.

People like these kinds of ships because it's good to see people learn to become less selfish through love. We like to see that we're more similar than we think we are, and that we can get over ourselves and see things from someone else's point of view.

But yeah, if two people are too different, it doesn't work. I think people like ships like that that wouldn't work for the same reasons, though.

invisible-chan

ポッキ の かみ
I really don't get never met ships. Why? Why in the world would you pair up two people who have no interaction? Because their potential interaction would be awesome? Break from mainsteam? (crack for the sake of crack is fine, but supporting it as a main couple really throws me off.)

My main one is NewBarkTown Shipping, aka gameverse quest. You can't have both characters at once. Technically, they're the same person in an alternate reality. Being paired up with yourself sounds kind of creepy to me. I don't know how or why the manga and anime decided that they would make a good couple when they never meet.

When it comes to the manga and anime, hints are pretty much shoved in your face. In the game, though, everyone else but the other playable character would be more likely.

I also don't get why some people are so adamant about slash ships. I mean, some do hold possibilities of canon like Pallet/Original, but then you get stuff like Ash/Oak which is a little more than strange. "OMG thire so kawaii together!" doesn't quite mean much to me, seeing as how subjective "kawaii"-ness is.

Would someone please elaborate on the reasons. I can't seem to find many legit ones. (Especially for NewBarkTown Shipping)

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Funny you should mention Ash/Oak, given the fourth movie. And it wasn't so "strange" when they were around the same age.
(oh come on, given how old that movie is, that can't possibly be a spoiler)

junpearl63

their rooms
I've never understand why can they ship people with pokemon together. As well as other anime, manga shipping that involved people and animals/monster/creatures. Help?

adrenaline

sensible hearts
I just don't understand Egoshipping. I understand where the name comes from but Misty has always disliked Gary because of his arrogance and condescension. I mean, with Gym and Orange shipping at least Misty are friends with Brock and Tracey. But, the two have shown they don't even like each other. Someone care to explain?

SatoshiKasumi

Kid Cupid
Pearlshipping I just dont get it or see it I always found Ash and Dawn friends of course I'm a Pokeshipper but i support other Ash ships and im not getting any spark from Pearl some Pearlshipper explain to me PLEASE i just dont get your ship explain everything to me!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.