• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which starter did you choose in each generation?

Which type of starter do you normally choose?

• Grass

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Fire

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Water

Votes: 13 34.2%

• Total voters

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Maybe you always go for the same type (Grass, Fire, Water), or you like to mix things up a little each time. :)

You can include the starters you chose in third versions and remakes, e.g. Emerald and HeartGold/SoulSilver.

Here's my starter history throughout the generations:

Gen 1: ;025; (Yellow)

Gen 2: ;158; (Silver)

Gen 3: ;255; (Ruby)

Gen 4: ;390; (Platinum), ;152; (SoulSilver)

Gen 5: :498: (Black and Black 2)

Gen 6: Fennekin (X), ;255; (Omega Ruby)

Gen 7: Litten (Sun)

I'm mostly a Fire fanatic, which is why I've chosen the Fire starters in almost every generation. ;)

Last edited:

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I've played through the first 3 generations with all 3 starters.

In DPP, I've never used Piplup. I didn't like Piplup in the show and I was never impressed by Empoleon. I really want to replay Platinum or Pearl some time, so I will give Piplup a chance then.

In HG, I started with Cyndaquil. In SS, I have successfully shiny hunted Cyndaquil and Chikorita. I'm working on getting a shiny Totodile to play through with all 3.

In BW I started with Snivy and Tepig. In B2W2, I started with Tepig and Oshawott.

In XY, I started with Froakie and Chespin. I recently started a new file on a digital copy of Y I got free from Nintendo to SR for shiny Fennekin and will play through with it.

In ORAS I used Treecko and Mudkip since Torchic was available at the beginning of XY.

In SM, I've only used Rowlet. In USUM, I'll use Litten and Popplio.

Last edited:

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
Kanto:

Blue: Charmander
Leaf Green: Squirtle
Fire Red: Bulbasaur

Johto:

Crystal: Chikorita
Silver: Cyndaquil
Soul Silver: Chikorita again :3

Hoenn:

Sapphire: Torchic
Alpha Sapphire: Treecko
Ruby ROM: Torchic again

Sinnoh:

Pearl: I've used all of them

UNOVA:

White: Oshawott (and i didn't end up using it the whole game)

Kalos:

Y: Fennikin :3

Alola:

Sun: Popplio :)

Thats what i've used, pretty much :)

ShakLax

Gen I
(Pokemon Yellow: Pikachu)
As I didn't played red and blue, I didn't have to choose. It would have been extremely difficult, but probably Bulbasaur would have been the chosen one.

Gen II
Pokemon Gold: Totodile
Pokemon Crystal: Cyndaquill

Gen III
Pokemon Ruby: Torchic
I made multiple run using them all.

Gen V

Pokemon White 2: Tepig
I don't like these starters (especially the evolutions), but Tepig is pretty good. I love Oshawott, but I find the design of Samurott terrible...

Gen VI
Pokemon Y: Fennerkin
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire: Mudkip

Gen VII

Pokemon Sun: Popplio
I like them all and I traded for the others as soon as I could.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
FireRed: Squirtle
LeafGreen: Charmander
Crystal: Totodile
Ruby: Torchic
Sapphire: Treecko
Emerald: Mudkip
Diamond: Piplup
Pearl: Chimchar
Platinum: Turtwig
I ended up picking Oshawott in all Generation V games, since Serperior has a shallow movepool and poor attacking stats and you can't get a Snivy with Contrary as your starter. Emboar just doesn't appeal to me. I have yet to play Generation VI and VII games, so I can't say much here.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Leaf Green: Charmander
Heart Gold: Totodile
(Alpha) Sapphire: Treecko
Diamond: Piplup
Black and Black 2: Snivy and Oshawott (I forget which to which version).
X & Y: Froakie
Moon: Litten
Ultra Moon: Rowlet?

TikTok13

Oh, I have a title?
Gen 1 (Red) - Alrighty then. Now, Red wasn't my first Pokémon game (it was actually Pearl) but I did play it as soon as I could get my hands on a Game Boy. Understandably, I chose Charmander, my favourite of the three and the box Pokémon.

Gen 2 (Silver) - I chose Cyndaquil in Silver. I had already played SoulSilver, and I decided to change it up a bit, and went with the Fire-Starter. I also thought that Typhlosion had the coolest design of the three final-evolutions.

Gen 3 (Sapphire) - Treecko was who I picked! I was really fond of Grovyle (Thank you Mystery Dungeon!) and I loved the speed that the whole line held. While I was a fan of Mudkip and Torchic, neither Blaziken nor Swampert ever appealed to me much.

Gen 4 (Pearl/Platinum) - Ah, memories. I remember choosing Turtwig after a long period of deliberation in both games. He looked the cutest, and I had no idea what was in store. Heck, I didn't even know that Pokémon evolved at this point. But I never really liked Chimchar, who's design just repelled me, and while I did like Empoleon (Water/Steel woo!) I never picked Piplup.
(SoulSilver) - When I played this, I wasn't sure who to pick. Cyndaquil was cute, but I didn't like the eyes (to start with, now I absolutely adore Cyndaquil), and Totodile, while a cool concept, seemed a bit too obvious. So I chose Chikorita, keeping with my preference from Pearl. It was cute, and quite a challenging typing to use, being weak to Gyms 1 and 2. And I was lucky enough to get a her. On my first go. I didn't know it was a low chance; I thought it might have been made to only be female.

Gen 5 (White/White2) - I got White as a birthday present, and I had no knowledge of any of the new Pokémon. I had no idea what to expect, and I was a bit worried when it came to choosing my starter. The game was fun, I enjoyed the intro, fell in love with Cheren, and opened the magical box. Oshawott seemed cute, kind of, but I always look at the others first. So I looked at Tepig, and knew I didn't want to choose it, no matter how much it smiled at me. So then I looked at Smugleaf himself. Snivy was the one I chose. I knew that that was my favourite, and still is my favourite starter to this day. In White 2 I followed the trend and chose Snivy again, but if I ever start White again, I think I'd go with Oshawott.

Gen 6 - Okay, so I have never actually played a Gen 6 game... Although, I always knew which starter I'd pick. I never really liked Chespin, and it just didn't seem right for a Grass-Type. Froakie seemed kind of cool, but when I discovered that Greninja was basically a diety in the Anime and super-powerful, I grew to dislike it. So I chose the undeniably cutest Gen 6 starter, Fennekin!

Gen 7 (Moon/Ultra Moon soon!) Well well well, my first 3DS game. I had seen the evolutionary lines and knew what to expect. Popplio seemed alright to start with, but I disliked Primarina and the Fairy Typing, which I am now (sort of) neutral about. Litten was cool, but I hate the wrestler theme that it adopted. That left Rowlet, who gained a Ghost Typing, and basically became Robin Hood. No brainer for me! And in Ultra Moon, I'll pick Rowlet again!

So, I've never actually chose the Water Starter, but I have an obvious preference for the Grass Starters!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I started in Gen 3, so here's my list, at least when it comes to Pokemon I have a story about

Gen 3: My noob phase, back when I used only my starter to overpower everything. While my sister choose Torchic, my first ever Pokemon was Mudkip. I don't remember why, but it was think to Mudkip Water types became my favorite to use. When I played my first remake, Leaf Green, I simply choose the first stage of the featured Pokemon

Gen 4: When I started to have more than one team member. Again I don't remember why but I chose Turtwig.

Gen 5: At this point I became used to the idea of using six team members. My first Pokemon in this game was Tepig. My reasoning is that I never used a Fire type starter, and wanted to try one out. When the sequels came around, I simply chose the Unova starter I hadn't used yet, Snivy

Gen 6: I don't remember why I chose Chespin, but I know why I chose Charmander-I had to get Mega Charizard X. Playing Pokemon Y, I chose Bulbasaur because Mega Venasaur's Thick Fat ability was magificent and it had been ages since I last used this Pokemon

Gen 7: My first was Rowlett. I was awed by the really cool looking Decidueye, and that it has a Ghost typing. Ghost is one of my favorite types, so I wanted to try it

Zach8920

My starting point was Gen 4, so it pretty much goes as this:

Gen 4: Infernape. I was like 7 or 8 or something, so fire sounded cool to me.

Gen 5: 'Fire type duuuh'.

Gen 6: Had a brain now, and I saw the badass cool looking frog called Froakie. Still don't regret picking him and I likely never will, ESPECIALLY given that he now can evolve into Ash-Greninja.

Gen 7: Rowlet. So I went full circle, so..cool I guess.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
(SoulSilver) - When I played this, I wasn't sure who to pick. Cyndaquil was cute, but I didn't like the eyes (to start with, now I absolutely adore Cyndaquil), and Totodile, while a cool concept, seemed a bit too obvious. So I chose Chikorita, keeping with my preference from Pearl. It was cute, and quite a challenging typing to use, being weak to Gyms 1 and 2. And I was lucky enough to get a her. On my first go. I didn't know it was a low chance; I thought it might have been made to only be female.

I thought Chikorita would mostly be female too, due to the feminine-sounding name. Mine in SS is/was male, however. He's now a Meganium - a very powerful one at that, packing Earthquake to deal with Fire, Poison and Electric-types. And I love him. :D ;154;

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Blue: Bulbasaur

Silver: Chikorita

Sapphire: Treecko
Leaf Green: Bulbasaur
Fire Red: Squirtle

Diamond: Turtwig
Pearl: Chimchar
Platinum: Piplup

White: Oshawott
Black: Snivy
White 2: Oshawott

X: Chespin
Y: Froakie
Alpha Sapphire: Treecko
Omega Ruby: Mudkip

Moon: Popplio
Sun: Rowlet
Ultra Moon: (Most likely going to be Rowlet, since I don't like Litten's evo line much and I didn't really use Rowlet much in Sun)

M.P.

Retired

Diamond: Turtwig
HeartGold: Totodile

White: Tepig
Black 2: Snivy

Y: Chespin
Omega Ruby: Treecko

Moon: Rowlet
Ultra Moon: Litten (most likely)

Yeah, I really like Grass starters. I originally intended to pick Froakie in Y and Litten in Moon, but Chespin and Rowlet's final evos changed my mind.

Dragon Pulse

Kanto: Charmander
Johto: Totodile
Hoenn: Treecko
Sinnoh: Piplup
Unova: Snivy
Kalos: Froakie
Alola: Rowlet

Those are who I prefer per region. However, I picked Mudkip in Ruby, Oshawott in Black 2, Fennekin in Y, Chespin in X (I restarted the game), and Litten in Sun. I also used a Popplio on my Moon team, alongside my starter Rowlet. I have to say that the Kalos and Alola starters are my favorites, as I generally love all three in both Kalos and Alola.

The funny thing is that Chikorita was my first ever starter, yet I came to dislike it and restarted HeartGold with Totodile.

Last edited:

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Red - Bulbasaur
LeafGreen - Charmander
Ruby - Torchic
Sapphire - Treecko
Emerald - Mudkip
Platinum - Piplup
SoulSilver - Totodile
Black - Oshawott
Black 2 - Oshawott
X - Froakie
Alpha Sapphire - Torchic
Moon - Rowlet
Ultra Sun - Rowlet

Last edited:

landipan

I havn't played every gen that has come out but of the ones I did play...

Gen 1- Charmander

Gen 4- Piplup

Gen 6 - Fennekin!

Gen 7
- Popplio

I've never chosen my starter based on type, I choose based on cuteness level xD

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
Gen 1: Pikachu (Bulbasaur in Leaf Green)
Gen 2: Cyndaquill (Chikorita in Crystal, Cyndaquil again in Soul Silver)
Gen 3: Treeko (Mudkip in Emerald and Alpha Sapphire)
Gen 4: Piplup (Turtwig in Platinum)
Gen 5: Oshawott (In both White and White 2)
Gen 6: Fennekin
Gen 7: Popplio

Last edited:

Scammel

- Squirtle
- Totodile
- Mudkip
- Chimchar
- Tepig
- Froakie
- Rowlett

It's odd, because I very rarely actively dislike the Grass starters, there's usually just a more enthusing pick each time.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
Pretty much water types only

Yellow - Pikachu

Blue - Squirtle

Silver and Crystal - Totodile

Sapphire and Emerald - Mudkip

FireRed - Squirtle

LeafGreen - Bulbasaur

Diamond - Piplup

Platinum - Turtwig

HeartGold - Totodile

White and White 2 - Oshawott

X - Froakie

Alpha Sapphire - Mudkip

Sun - Popplio

If I get USM - Popplio

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
GEN I
Red - Bulbasaur
Yellow - Pikachu (by force)

GEN II
Silver - Cyndaquil (first play); Totodile (all subsequent plays)

GEN III
Ruby - Mudkip
Sapphire - Mudkip (most plays); Torchic (one occasional play)
Emerald - Torchic
LeafGreen - Bulbasaur

GEN IV
Diamond - Piplup
Pearl - Piplup
HeartGold - Totodile

GEN V
White - Oshawott
Black 2 - Oshawott

GEN VI
X - Froakie
Omega Ruby - Mudkip