• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which starter did you choose in each generation?

Which type of starter do you normally choose?

• Grass

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Fire

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Water

Votes: 13 34.2%

• Total voters

Luthor

Squirtle- Gen 1
Totodile- Gen 2
Treeko- Gen 3
Piplup- Gen 4
Tepig- Gen 5
Chespin- Gen 6
Litten- Gen 7

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Gen 1: Charmander
Gen 2: Chikorita
Gen 3: Mudkip
Gen 4: Chimchar
Gen 5: Oshawott
Gen 6: Chespin
Gen 7: Litten

Gen 1 (Red): now I will be honest, I still haven't finished off my Red file because I got bored of all the plain graphics and tedious walking very fast. However, I do still have a clear favourite Gen 1 starter, and that is Bulbasaur. It's just so cute an adorable!

Gen 2 (HGSS): Cyndaquil was who I chose for HGSS because oh my god it is adorable, but I'm also a huge fan of Chikorita too since I can't resist those eyes.

Gen 3 (ORAS/Emerald): Torchic, Torchic all the way. When I first bought ORAS as my first Pokemon game I was initially stuck on who to choose, but then I remembered that in the video I watched that convinced me to buy it, it was mentioned that Torchic is a little OP. And, since I had just started playing, I thought "hey, that could be helpful since I have no idea what I'm doing!". Best choice ever. I do love Mudkip though because of its derpy face and, of course, the memes.

Gen 4: I'm always torn on this one between Turtwig and Piplup. Piplup is a penguin which is like one of the best animals ever, but Turtwig has that adorable little derpy face similar to Mudkip's. In my copy of Platinum I chose Piplup, but I can never decide otherwise!

Gen 5: jee it's another conflicting choice between the Water and Grass starter! When I first bought White and White 2 I chose Oshawott instantly because it is cute as heck, but in my second playthrough of White I chose Snovy instead, and ooohhh my god I love Snivy. I just can't choose!

Gen 6: now since I played X for the first (and currently only) time as a Wonderlocke, I didn't explicitly choose one of the starters with the intention of using it or growing attached to it. I used to like Greninja but the anime gave it a sour taste. As for the other two, I'd say I'm conflicted. Chespin is adorable and its fully evolved form looks great, but Fennekin is exactly the same. Again, I can't pick!

Gen 7: Litten. Litten all the way and nobody can convince me otherwise. This thing is my spirit animal. A cat, with the Fire type, that's introverted and kinda likes wrestling? Give me. Also helps that it was female first time in SM. I'm definitely choosing it for USUM too!

Cat's Eye Draco

Gen 1 (LeafGreen): Charmander
Gen 2 (Silver/SoulSilver): Chikorita
Gen 3 (Sapphire): I've never had any particular favorite out of this bunch, but Torchic is probably the one I've used most often, albeit by a very slight margin.
Gen 4 (Platinum): Chimchar
Gen 5 (Black): Snivy

Seeing as I don't have a 3DS I haven't been able play Gens 6 and 7, but if I had, my choices probably would have been:

Gen 6 (Kalos): Froakie
Gen 7 (Alola): Rowlet

gwen-watson

A Marvel Baby
R/B/Y: Pikachu. I had Yellow and wasn't allowed to get the other games as a child.
G/S/C: Totodile, hands down. He was my first Pokemon ever, so he'll always hold a special place in my heart.
R/S/E: Mudkip. Mudkip. MUDKIP. <3 Introduced me to my favorite Pokemon ever.
D/P/Pt: Since I disliked Empoleon as Piplup's final evolution, I went with Turtwig. I don't regret it. He saved my hide more times than I'd like to admit in those games.
B/W/B2/W2: Snivy. I adored Serperior's design.
X/Y: Froakie. <3
Sun/Moon: I actually went Team Popplio. And I'm looking to go Popplio again, because I adore Primarina.

I find that I tend to gravitate towards Grass starters, for the most part. Though I have gone Water since W2, oddly enough. I blame Snivy.

Blue: Squirtle

Crystal: Meganium

Ruby: No clue, but I'm guessing Treecko (even though I loved Mudkip).
Emerald: Torchic
FireRed: Bulbasaur. How ironic.

Diamond: Turtwig
Platinum: My first full run was with Piplup, as I'd never used one before.

Black: Snivy. Hated it.
White 2: Oshawott. It was so much better.

Y: Froakie (but Chespin's my favourite)
OmegaRuby: Mudkip

Sun: Popplio (but to be fair, I really like seals and sirens. Siren-seals are even better.)
UltraMoon (when it's released): Probably Popplio again. I want to learn to love the Fairy-type.

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
Simce I did not play Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Crystal, I'm going to skip those.

FR: I choose Charmander. Charizard is my favorite of the Kanto starters so that's why I picked it.

HG: I picked Cyndaquil and I picked it because its my favorite of the Johto starters.

Sapphire: This was my first game ever and I picked Mudkip because I though it was adorable.

Diamond: I picked Chimchar. It was the one of the Sinnoh starters I liked the best.

White: I picked Oshawott and then immediately regretted my decision when it evolved into Samurott.

White 2: I picked Tepig because I liked Emboar the most out of the Unova starters.

X: Froakie. It has the best final evolution out of the Kalos starters. Chespin will always be my favorite of the unevolved trio and it kills me that it evolves into Quilladin. Chestnaught is better but still, what did they do to my dear Chespin?

Sun: Litten. I don't even know why I picked it, Incineroar is not my favorite starter from Alola, Primarina is. I wished I picked Popplio.

More than likely, for US, I'm going to pick Popplio.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I mostly always pick Fire. Apart from X/Y cause Delphox is too girly looking and ugly, I love Braixen but not Delphox.
Treecko and Snivy are the only Grass starters I ever choose.

Red: Charmander
Gold: Cyndaquil
Crystal: Totodile
Ruby: Torchic
Emerald: Mudkip
LG: Charmander
Diamond: Chimchar
Platinum: Piplup
HG: Cyndaquil
SS: Totodile
Black: Snivy
White: Tepig
B2: Oshawott
W2: Tepig
X: Froakie
Y: Froakie (Only starter I love)
OR: Treecko
AS: Mudkip
S: Litten (Literally the only one I love at all, I like Chesnaught and Braixen.... but I HATE Rowlet's line apart from Decidueye and Popplio's entire line is ugly. I'm never using Rowlet)
M: Litten
Ultra Sun: Litten
Ultra Moon: Litten

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I mostly always pick Fire.

I'm much of a Fire person too. I'm a fire-starter. ;) ;004; ;155; ;255; ;390; :498:

(When's Serebii going to add in smileys of the Kalos and Alola Pokémon?)

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Not counting Yellow because there is only one starter to pick from.

Blue: Bulbasaur
Gold & Crystal: Cyndaquil
Sapphire & Emerald: Torchic
Pearl: Piplup / Diamond: Turtwig / Platinum: Chimchar
Black/2: Oshawott / White: Tepig
X: Froakie / Y: Chespin
Sun/Moon: Rowlet

FR: Bulbasaur / LG: Squirtle
SS: Chikorita / HG: Cyndaquil
AS: Mudkip / OR: Treecko

I own White 2, but i dont remember playing it.

Last edited:
P

polkiman777

Started playing all the way back in 2000, so I'll list the games in the order I got them. I've also restarted every game I own at least once with the exception of Gen VII, so I'll list the starter I picked for the first playthrough of each game.

Silver: Chikorita (A decision I have come to regret, sorry Chikorita)
Yellow: Pikachu
Blue: Bulbasaur (Best starter for RBY! Fight me!)
Crystal: Totodile (The Pokémon I wish I picked first)
Sapphire: Treecko
Red: Squirtle
Leaf Green: Charmander (Charizard is my favourite 1st gen final evolution starter, but Bulbasaur is my favourite basic starter from Kanto)
Emerald: Mudkip (Favourite from this gen)
Platinum: Piplup (Chimchar has become my favourite starter from this gen)
Heart Gold: Totodile
Soul Silver: Cyndaquil
Black: Oshawott
White: Snivy (Hard to pick a favourite from this gen, all the designs I feel pretty neutral towards, but Snivy has a slight edge because of Contrary)
Black 2: Tepig
White 2: Oshawott
X: Froakie (Favourite from this gen)
Y: Fennekin
Alpha Sapphire: Torchic
Omega Ruby: Mudkip
Moon: Litten (Favourite from this gen)
Sun: Litten (tried a playthrough with Popplio but ended up restarting the game as soon as it evolved into Brionne)
Ultra Moon: Rowlet

Last edited by a moderator:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Strictly first per region: Mudkip in Sapphire(first ever Pokemon game), Bulbasaur in Leaf Green(second ever Pokemon game), Totodile in Heart Gold, Turtwig in Diamond, Tepig in White, Chespin in X, Rowlet in Sun. So I guess I am Team Grass

Steven of Venus

From Another Planet
You can't ever resist the magic and power of your Meganium. It's a majestic unicorn. It feeds off of zoo attention and sparkles up the crowd with animation and liveliness!

Water is even more common than normal. Seeing that grass is good against water, it may even offer you a strategic advantage to go with that choice usually.

Sceptile is pretty cool too; it looks like a ninja assassin!

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
You can't ever resist the magic and power of your Meganium. It's a majestic unicorn. It feeds off of zoo attention and sparkles up the crowd with animation and liveliness!

Lucky for you, I have a Meganium on SoulSilver. And I love him. :D ;154;