• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which starter did you choose in Legends: Arceus?

treatyofversigh

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed using it and that the overlap wasn't too bad! What was the rest of your team if you don't mind me asking? Always found that Ghost was a reasonable type to overlap with anyway - Dark is a common coverage move but Ghost being weak to itself almost cancels it out, so it's quite a solid type to run with.
I usually try to only use new Pokémon (or new evolutions/forms) for new games, so my team was: Hisuian Typhlosion, Basculegion, Hisuian Lilligant, Kleavor, Ursaluna, and Overqwil.

I had no issues with my team! They got me through the game pretty easily. Hardest part was figuring out when there was a full moon to evolve Ursaluna. What was your starter/team?

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
I usually try to only use new Pokémon (or new evolutions/forms) for new games, so my team was: Hisuian Typhlosion, Basculegion, Hisuian Lilligant, Kleavor, Ursaluna, and Overqwil.

I had no issues with my team! They got me through the game pretty easily. Hardest part was figuring out when there was a full moon to evolve Ursaluna. What was your starter/team?
Ooh I like your team! What was your favourite squad member by the end?

I'll be honest here, I've not actually gotten around to beating Legends: Arceus yet! I was hoping this thread would inspire me to get into it properly before Scarlet & Violet come out since the starter choice is always hardest for me. I'm perpetually caught between Typhlosion and Decidueye (nothing against Samurott, it's just not for me) so hearing people's opinions on why they chose their starter has been interesting to hear.

Kage-Pikachu

i am the same but i made an exception for this game since new pokemon were limited. Finding a Peat Block was a nightmare, then once i turned off auto-save and played for hours only to die and realize i lost a Peat Block in my satchel (i didn't even know i had found one lol). i was lucky to realize that despite losing hours of gameplay, i had saved after i unknowingly obtained it. then on my current playthrough with all 3 starts, i find a peat block on my second treasure dig (face palm). now i just need that alpha ursaring and i am in business lol

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
That's a fair perspective, I think there's enough differences in most of the Hisuian Forms to justify their existence but I remember my first impression of Samurott being that it was basically just a colour change. How did you find Decidueye in the end, was it fun to use? Did you end up using Zoroark and Arcanine as well?
Decidueye was fine, especially due to its signature move being the strongest of the 3 starter signature moves imo. However, to be frank, I never bonded with my team like I do in other games - the low amount of battles is probably a reason for this.

I used Zoroark, but it being available so late was really annoying. What was your team?

Kage-Pikachu

Decidueye was fine, especially due to its signature move being the strongest of the 3 starter signature moves imo. However, to be frank, I never bonded with my team like I do in other games - the low amount of battles is probably a reason for this.

I used Zoroark, but it being available so late was really annoying. What was your team?
i agree, the lack of trainer battles really didn't have me bond well with my team, if felt like Breath of the Wild in the sense that you are encouraged to use many other pokemon instead of just 6 to complete the game (just like you are encouraged to use many weapons since they are breakable) so many of my team members were boxed as i tried to complete tasks.

treatyofversigh

Ooh I like your team! What was your favourite squad member by the end?

I'll be honest here, I've not actually gotten around to beating Legends: Arceus yet! I was hoping this thread would inspire me to get into it properly before Scarlet & Violet come out since the starter choice is always hardest for me. I'm perpetually caught between Typhlosion and Decidueye (nothing against Samurott, it's just not for me) so hearing people's opinions on why they chose their starter has been interesting to hear.
It's hard to pick just one tbh! I'd probably say Typhlosion or Lilligant, since those are the two I think I used the most.

I feel you- they both look great! I'm in the same boat about Samurott. Another thing that helped me pick was that I knew I wanted to use Hisuian Lilligant, and that had the same typing as Decidueye. Some overlap's fine, but I didn't want two Pokémon with the exact same types, you know?

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme

That is a concern I have with Legends: Arceus is the team bonding - it's Pokemon, you've got to have a team! But the focus on Pokedex completion, capturing many Pokemon rather than focusing on one and the lack of battles to actually use your team does make me side-eye things a smidge. Maybe having a smaller team would help, keep a consistent 3-4 Pokemon with the remaining two slots for Pokedex bits? I don't know.

I don't have a team, because I've not beaten the game yet! I made this thread to help inspire me with my starter choice because I hate choosing and I'm genuinely curious as to why people chose their starter given the fact that this game has a trio consisting of three older starters. Leaning towards Typhlosion or Decidueye, guess the rest of my team will flow from there.

It's hard to pick just one tbh! I'd probably say Typhlosion or Lilligant, since those are the two I think I used the most.

I feel you- they both look great! I'm in the same boat about Samurott. Another thing that helped me pick was that I knew I wanted to use Hisuian Lilligant, and that had the same typing as Decidueye. Some overlap's fine, but I didn't want two Pokémon with the exact same types, you know?
That's fair enough, I hear Victory Dance Lilligant is pretty broken! I don't really have any Pokemon I absolutely want to use, I'm planning to "wing" this game and make a team out of whatever Pokemon interest me most at the time. I think it'll be interesting to see where my choices end up being made! But the starter choice is the only one I need to make and it's tough, but this thread has been illuminating on that front!

Rune Knight

I quite like Hisuian Typhlosion's vibes, the Ghost typing and its Pokedex entry certainly make it sound much cooler than it's original form! How did you find its Hisuian Form in the end, did you regret your choice or did you find the Ghost typing to be solid? And it's all cool, we've all got opinions! I personally like the autumn colours on Hisuian Decidueye but I cannot deny that it would look just as good in green.

I was very content with my choice in the end. The ghost type provided itself to as a solid addition alongside its fire type. If I recall correctly, its signature move, Infernal Parade was very useful throughout my run of the game. I love the colors on it as well, being a mix of its original scheme and purple to better depict its ghost side.

Though I am not a fan of Hisuian Decidueye's color scheme, I don't exactly hate it either. Personally, and just as a side note, I think that it would've been cool if this version kept its original Grass/Flying types, and to differentiate from Chesnaught; while H-Samurott could've been Water/Fighting.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
I chose Rowlet.

But really, I chose all 6.

It felt right for the time and character. Using the 3 Hisuian Starters becuase it symbolizes the time and that I am a member of the Galaxy Research Team and the Sinnoh starters to add some lore as to why they soon became the default starters.

That, the people of Hisui seeing me tame, catch and battle with these 3 strong Pokemon of the land instilled trust within the lines and soon became the starters. Unlike the other 3 due to not being native in the land.

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
I was very content with my choice in the end. The ghost type provided itself to as a solid addition alongside its fire type. If I recall correctly, its signature move, Infernal Parade was very useful throughout my run of the game. I love the colors on it as well, being a mix of its original scheme and purple to better depict its ghost side.

Though I am not a fan of Hisuian Decidueye's color scheme, I don't exactly hate it either. Personally, and just as a side note, I think that it would've been cool if this version kept its original Grass/Flying types, and to differentiate from Chesnaught; while H-Samurott could've been Water/Fighting.
Glad your choice worked out with Typhlosion! I go both ways with Samurott - on one hand I think the Unovan variant should have been Water/Fighting with the Hisuian Form being a darker counterpart to it - the modern day noble Samurott becoming ruthless and cold-hearted to survive in Hisui's harsher climate is a cool concept! On the other hand, Hisuian Samurott being Water/Fighting and changing Decidueye in some way could have been cool to have all 3 starters evolve to become "helpful" to the people of Hisui - Typhlosion purifies lost souls and in a sense guides those who have perished to where they belong, Samurott would've been a protector of the Hisui people as a true noble samurai and Decidueye... could've been anything. A scout for food and shelter maybe, with strong legs to shape the terrain and a Flying typing to allow it to fly greater distances across the region? Food for thought!

I chose Rowlet.

But really, I chose all 6.

It felt right for the time and character. Using the 3 Hisuian Starters becuase it symbolizes the time and that I am a member of the Galaxy Research Team and the Sinnoh starters to add some lore as to why they soon became the default starters.

That, the people of Hisui seeing me tame, catch and battle with these 3 strong Pokemon of the land instilled trust within the lines and soon became the starters. Unlike the other 3 due to not being native in the land.
Ooh I like this idea, that's really cool! Makes complete sense too, awesome stuff. How did all 6 starters fare in the end, did you have a favourite?

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Glad your choice worked out with Typhlosion! I go both ways with Samurott - on one hand I think the Unovan variant should have been Water/Fighting with the Hisuian Form being a darker counterpart to it - the modern day noble Samurott becoming ruthless and cold-hearted to survive in Hisui's harsher climate is a cool concept! On the other hand, Hisuian Samurott being Water/Fighting and changing Decidueye in some way could have been cool to have all 3 starters evolve to become "helpful" to the people of Hisui - Typhlosion purifies lost souls and in a sense guides those who have perished to where they belong, Samurott would've been a protector of the Hisui people as a true noble samurai and Decidueye... could've been anything. A scout for food and shelter maybe, with strong legs to shape the terrain and a Flying typing to allow it to fly greater distances across the region? Food for thought!

Ooh I like this idea, that's really cool! Makes complete sense too, awesome stuff. How did all 6 starters fare in the end, did you have a favourite?
Was able to go toe to toe with Giratina, so they fared well.

However Samurott, Infernape and Typhlosion needed serious grit training for their defenses.

Guess my favourite was the Alpha Torterra on the team, the only Alpha and was the one to finally take out Giratina.

Additionally, after beating the game I also got a shiny alpha Rowlet>Decidueye.

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
I chose Rowlet due to the fact that it is literally my favorite pokémon
Rowlet is pretty damn cute! How did you find using it in these games, was it any good? If you used Decidueye in the Alola games (Sun/Moon/USUM) how do you think it compares to its Hisuian form?

I chose Rowlet in my initial run and played the game mostly with him.

My Decidueye is now the only pokemon I have from that run; I'm hoping I can transfer it to Violet.
Very cool! Did you use other Pokemon on your team? I hope you can transfer it too, would be nice to use the Hisuian forms in a more "regular" mainline game.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Very cool! Did you use other Pokemon on your team? I hope you can transfer it too, would be nice to use the Hisuian forms in a more "regular" mainline game.

I rotated between a few other 'mons, but I mostly just used Decidueye.

I wanted to play with Decidueye alone, but I quickly realized the game is a lot harder than I expected. lol

Trillion

i chose cyndaquil. cyndaquil and quilava are both in my top 5 favorite pokemon of all time- but i never got a chance to use them before legends [besides when i played colosseum as a kid; but that's not main series and that was like 19 years ago]:
  • i picked it in heart gold, but i find the johto games very boring so i've never even gotten past two badges
  • i have a typhlosion from oras but i obtained it AS a typhlosion and it was post-game by the time i got it
  • i caught a cyndaquil [now a quilava] in bdsp but that was also post-game. and by that point, legends was about to come out and i already knew i'd be picking it, so i didn't really use the bdsp one

legends was finally my chance. i don't look at leaks- so i didn't know what it'd evolve into at all. didn't even know if i'd be getting a quilava tbh, let alone a typhlosion. i was very curious when it didn't evolve at level 14 but it just turned out they changed the level

ghost is my favorite type so i was super hyped when it evolved into typhlosion. i was honestly just happy to finally be using cyndaquil and quilava- but for them to evolve into a ghost-type too was icing on the cake

Autobot N

Gotta rep my dude Cyndaquil, even though he wasn't my first Pokemon I still consider him to be such (first game was Pearl and I got Soul Silver days later, though I finished SS first and consider it the more memorable playthrough). IMO the Hisuian variant is a slight downgrade over the original but I still like it. Because I didn't catch my next main team member until about halfway through the Crimson Mirelands (got Petlil and Goomy at about the same time) it was just the two of us for a while.
122vIDx.png

Ghyst

Rowlet Enthusiast
Rowlet is pretty damn cute! How did you find using it in these games, was it any good? If you used Decidueye in the Alola games (Sun/Moon/USUM) how do you think it compares to its Hisuian form?
I found Hisui Decidueye to be an absolute menace in the game. He managed to beat both Giratina phases with shadow claw. However, it feels a little lackluster compared to Alola form Decidueye in my opinion. There isn't that much coverage that Decidueye-Hisui has compared to Alola form Decidueye.

The final team I used was Decidueye, Luxray, Lucario, Mamoswine, Vaporeon and Hisuian Arcanine to beat Volo. Vaporeon with max HP, Defense and Special Defense with Water Pulse, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball and Calm Mind managed to sweep Phase 1 Volo while Decidueye swept both Giratina phases.

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
Gotta rep my dude Cyndaquil, even though he wasn't my first Pokemon I still consider him to be such (first game was Pearl and I got Soul Silver days later, though I finished SS first and consider it the more memorable playthrough). IMO the Hisuian variant is a slight downgrade over the original but I still like it. Because I didn't catch my next main team member until about halfway through the Crimson Mirelands (got Petlil and Goomy at about the same time) it was just the two of us for a while.
That's really sweet actually, just you and Cyndaquil exploring Hisui until you find some new teammates! What was your team by the end of the game? I feel like we kind-of match with our original game experiences - my first game was Diamond but HGSS are the more memorable games / experiences for me! How come you feel that the Hisuian Form is a downgrade?

I found Hisui Decidueye to be an absolute menace in the game. He managed to beat both Giratina phases with shadow claw. However, it feels a little lackluster compared to Alola form Decidueye in my opinion. There isn't that much coverage that Decidueye-Hisui has compared to Alola form Decidueye.

The final team I used was Decidueye, Luxray, Lucario, Mamoswine, Vaporeon and Hisuian Arcanine to beat Volo. Vaporeon with max HP, Defense and Special Defense with Water Pulse, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball and Calm Mind managed to sweep Phase 1 Volo while Decidueye swept both Giratina phases.
That's an amazing team, thank you for responding! Always good to hear Decidueye is actually solid in-game, although it is a bit sad to see the Alolan form doing a bit better.

Autobot N

That's really sweet actually, just you and Cyndaquil exploring Hisui until you find some new teammates! What was your team by the end of the game? I feel like we kind-of match with our original game experiences - my first game was Diamond but HGSS are the more memorable games / experiences for me! How come you feel that the Hisuian Form is a downgrade?
Typhlosion, Lilligant, Goodra, Ursaluna, Phione, and Braviary.

As for Typhlosion, it's kinda the eyes that I don't like. But it's not a huge deal, I still like Hisuian Typhlosion