• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which starter type do you choose most often?

Which starter type do you choose the most?

• Grass

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Fire

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • Water

Votes: 29 45.3%

• Total voters

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I have Pokemon White 2 and Pokemon Platinum, just haven't got around to playing them lately. Been wanting to play Sun and Ultra Sun around those times. I do like Solgaleo more.

I still haven’t played US/UM yet, although from what I’ve heard, the original Sun/Moon are better than US/UM in terms of story? Some characters changed between S/M and US/UM, especially Lusamine and the Aether Foundation.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Its quite even, but I've used more grass that fire or water.

I think its because most of the time there are preferable fire and water types available. In Gen I I like the starters about equally, but I love Magmar, Arcanine, Kingler and Lapras more than Exeggutor or Victreebel. I usually like to pick a team as a unit rather than one by one.

Then again, I'm trying to avoid spoilers for gen VIII. So I'll be starting with Sobble with no idea what fire and grass options I'll have available. I enjoyed my first Sun and Moon playthrough like that even if I was spoiled on a few new mons.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I'm trying to avoid spoilers for gen VIII. So I'll be starting with Sobble with no idea what fire and grass options I'll have available. I enjoyed my first Sun and Moon playthrough like that even if I was spoiled on a few new mons.

I think that’s what kind of ruined Sun/Moon for me, because they showed pretty much every new ‘mon and all the Trial Captains in Gen 7 in the trailers. I just hope they keep a bit more of Gen 8 as a secret until Sword/Shield come out. Not that Sun/Moon are bad games by any means, however! :D

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Hmm let's see...

Kanto: grass
Johto: fire
Hoenn: fire (gen 3) grass (gen 6)
Sinnoh: grass
Unova: grass
Kalos: water
Alola: fire

That's 4 grass, 3 fire, 1 water

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
Gen 1: Pikachu
Gen 2: Cyndaquill in Silver Chikorita in Crystal
Gen 3: Treeko in Sapphire, and Mudkip in Emerald, also Bulbasaur in Leaf Green
Gen 4: Piplup in Diamond, Turtwig in Platinum, Cyndaquill in Soul Silver
Gen: 5 Oshawott every time
Gen 6: Fennekin in X, Mudkip in Alpha Sapphire
Gen 7: Popplio always
Gen 8 Scorbunny

4 Grass, 4 Water 4 Fire... Even ratio lol

Last edited:

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I still haven’t played US/UM yet, although from what I’ve heard, the original Sun/Moon are better than US/UM in terms of story? Some characters changed between S/M and US/UM, especially Lusamine and the Aether Foundation.
Pretty much. The story is almost exactly the same up until the last act, but instead of having Lillie save Lusamine from herself and start Lusamine on some therapy, they just cut her story short to shoehorn a bunch of new villains who are basically alternate versions of evil team leaders who won in their parallel universes. It was a complete shark jump. If you liked Sun and Moon's story then that's a good reason not to play USUM.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!

Just to put it here, Lillie and her family drama loses focus towards the end in USUM because Necrozma happened.

Lusamine had different motives and goals as she went leeroy jenkins and pissed off Necrozma, resulting in a climax where he eats Nebby and starts taking Alola's light. Then you go to Ultra Megaopolis to fight Necrozma. (The story becomes similar to what happened in R/S/E with Kyogre and Groudon.)

While Lillie has most of her growth moved to the post game, it isn't like how it happened in SM. She calls Lusamine out on her crap off screen and while we get to see Lusamine turn herself around for the better we are not there to see the general of the call out.

In addition, no Exeggutor Island moment... though the general of what she said there is similar if not identical to what she says to you in the end of RR.

Thankfully Lusamine had some growth in the post game if you go visit her during then and if you look, things like the frozen pokemon being thawed still happens among other things.

Those were hints in SM we never got to see and we had a lot of questions that were not answered.

To me, the main story was more focused and better in SM, but the climax and how everything was wrapped up was MUCH better executed in US/UM.

Also RR is much more entertaining of a post game compared to SM's... which was pretty boring unless you are into world building.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Those were hints in SM we never got to see and we had a lot of questions that were not answered.

Since US/UM aren't sequels, I always wondered where Lusamine went after you, Guzma and Lillie take her out of Ultra Space in the originals. I know Lillie went to Kanto to get some kind of antidote for Lusamine's poisoning from Nihilego, but I wanted her to return later in the game and see her try to reconciliate with Lusamine.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Since US/UM aren't sequels, I always wondered where Lusamine went after you, Guzma and Lillie take her out of Ultra Space in the originals. I know Lillie went to Kanto to get some kind of antidote for Lusamine's poisoning from Nihilego, but I wanted her to return later in the game and see her try to reconciliate with Lusamine.

That might also be why people got ticked off with USUM.

Along with taking the Lillie focus away and turning a couple plot theories. Like Lillie's look and Nihilego showing up at AF into a coincidence. I'm okay with the coincidence part since to me, Lillie's old look had the same suppressed meaning. (No one in any of the adaptations quoted on the look resembling Nihilego, but the fact Lillie didn't get to make her own choices still reflects.)

But on the trade off, USUM wrapped things up better by having Lillie stay with Kukui and Burnet, rather than going back to Lusamine in the end. (Lillie only went back to tend to Nebby and then give it to you after Mina's Trial. Along with RR.) Gladion gets to be free out on the world along with coming back a month later. Guzma got a redemption arc.

Lusamine is starting one (Instead of us never seeing her again.) instead of being hinted AND got some closure to her Mohn motive.

All of which were general things that I'll be honest, a sequel would just leave to the same plot hole/ questions from BW2 (What happened to the first hero since that just disappeared and the cast were that attached to them.) so really SM should have resolved all those unanswered questions before ending the plot with Lillie leaving.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
All of which were general things that I'll be honest, a sequel would just leave to the same plot hole/ questions from BW2 (What happened to the first hero since that just disappeared and the cast were that attached to them.) so really SM should have resolved all those unanswered questions before ending the plot with Lillie leaving.

It's implied in B2/W2 that Hilbert and Hilda went to another region after they defeated the Champion in Unova. If you go to Nuvema Town and go to their house, their mother initially thinks Nate/Rosa is her child, before realising her mistake, and she says she wants to go on her own journey to find her children.

Along with taking the Lillie focus away and turning a couple plot theories. Like Lillie's look and Nihilego showing up at AF into a coincidence. I'm okay with the coincidence part since to me, Lillie's old look had the same suppressed meaning. (No one in any of the adaptations quoted on the look resembling Nihilego, but the fact Lillie didn't get to make her own choices still reflects.)

In the anime, Lillie developed her fear of touching Pokémon after a Nihilego almost swallowed her up when she was younger, but no-one else knew about it because she tried to suppress the trauma. In the manga, one character says to Lillie that she looks like a doll, to which she just says, "Thanks..." Another scene then shows Lusamine putting the Nihilego-inspired clothes on Lillie, almost against her will.

Last edited:

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
It's implied in B2/W2 that Hilbert and Hilda went to another region after they defeated the Champion in Unova. If you go to Nuvema Town and go to their house, their mother initially thinks Nate/Rosa is her child, before realising her mistake, and she says she wants to go on her own journey to find her children.

In the anime, Lillie developed her fear of touching Pokémon after a Nihilego almost swallowed her up when she was younger, but no-one else knew about it because she tried to suppress the trauma. In the manga, one character says to Lillie that she looks like a doll, to which she just says, "Thanks..." Another scene then shows Lusamine putting the Nihilego-inspired clothes on Lillie, almost against her will.

This is going by the games specifically since the anime and Lillie's look is its own thing compared to the games entirely. (Lusamine isn't a control freak in the anime, just a VERY neglectful mother. The clothes don't mean anything other than fitting the mood and the Z Powered form is just Lillie willing to be more brave!)

Lillie never even got to pick her own clothes out until you advance in the games. Her ditching it for her Z Powered form has the same meaning in both SM and USUM as her deciding on making her own life choices. She still has that old look in USUM and people scream that is a plot hole due to the changes in Lusamine, but it isn't really one if you consider it a coincidence.

The Manga, while they showed us Lusamine insulting Lillie's Z powered form and forcing her in that dress. I still stand with what I said because people specifically called Lillie a doll and no one saying anything about the look after people saw Nihilego.

I'm also ticked off at the Manga for taking everything away from Lillie that made her great in both games (Even USUM where it took her away from the focus and climax) and even the anime. (Which did something else.)

To put it here... she only had one outburst after the PTSD scene, the second Cosmog came out of nowhere and rendered her taking Nebby as absolutely pointless, Lillie never got to blow the flute that evolved Nebby or really do anything to help out.

The half a year thing contributed to nothing but Faba taking over Aether.

Nebby should have found the dex holders sooner and the Aether Siblings are far away from the Poni Island conflict. (Nebby is with the Dex Holders... exactly where Lusamine is heading towards.)

If the big Lusamine fight is just between her and the Dex Holders, I will officially use that the next time someone who praises the manga bashes USUM or the anime for making changes to the vanilla SM story. (I got bigger gripes against the SM Manga and it is a shame since I heard and seen Adventures do better.)

Last edited:

KillerDraco

Um, guys? You're way off topic here. Rein it back it, please.

By coincidence alone, grass it the most picked starer type for me. I never really pick based on type, but rather, which one appeals to me most at the time based on design, evolutions, etc.

Gen 1: Bulbasaur
Gen 2: Cyndaquil
Gen 3: Treecko
Gen 4: Chimchar
Gen 5: Snivy
Gen 6: Froakie
Gen 7: Rowlet

...I was alternating between Grass and Fire until Froakie broke that combo. But it was never an intentional combo, it just happened to end up that way. Water starters never really wowed me until Froakie came along.

Although for Gen 8, I'm leaning towards Sobble, but my decision isn't 100% confirmed yet. I'd like to get a little more information first.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Sorry about that.

Gen 1. My starter was Squirtle for most of my runs.

Gen2: Totodile.

Gen 3: I liked Mudkips.

Gen 4: Chimchar

Gen 5: I remember picking Oshawott in W and Tepig in W2

Gen 6: I know I picked Froakie.

Gen 7: I picked Litten for M and Rowlet for UM.

Gen 8: I might pick Sobble, Grookie is cute while Scorbunny is too cartoony for me. BUTTTT! Their evolutions might change things.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Does Pokémon Go count? If so, I chose Squirtle as my very first Pokémon, though of course you can always catch the others later. He’s now a Wartortle, and I’m working towards collecting more candies to eventually evolve him into the almighty Blastoise. :D

Gen 8: I might pick Sobble, Grookie is cute while Scorbunny is too cartoony for me.

I bet when Sword/Shield come out, people will nickname Scorbunny Bugs, like Bugs Scorbunny. XD

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I think that’s what kind of ruined Sun/Moon for me, because they showed pretty much every new ‘mon and all the Trial Captains in Gen 7 in the trailers. I just hope they keep a bit more of Gen 8 as a secret until Sword/Shield come out. Not that Sun/Moon are bad games by any means, however! :D
I dunno, I need to know what I'm getting into to plan the best for my team

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I dunno, I need to know what I'm getting into to plan the best for my team
I can do that on a later playthrough or when GameFreak inevitably sells me the same game a second time. I'd like ot get surprised the first time I play through it.

Actually with that strategy, Sobble might not be the best choice. There might only be one new fire type available, or fire types might not be avaiable until quite far into the game. But there have always been a lot of choices for water and grass types early on. I definitely want my first playthrough to only be with new pokemon. Or older pokemon with a new gimmick like the alolan pokemon. So the only decent fire type might be Scorbunny...

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I can do that on a later playthrough or when GameFreak inevitably sells me the same game a second time. I'd like ot get surprised the first time I play through it.

Actually with that strategy, Sobble might not be the best choice. There might only be one new fire type available, or fire types might not be avaiable until quite far into the game. But there have always been a lot of choices for water and grass types early on. I definitely want my first playthrough to only be with new pokemon. Or older pokemon with a new gimmick like the alolan pokemon. So the only decent fire type might be Scorbunny...

This is usually why I choose the Fire type, as Fire types are rather rare in normal gameplay (except in Hoenn, where there’s quite a few, due to the volcanoes).

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Typically I choose Water types because on its own, Water has the least weaknesses of the three and it comes off as giving a lot of coverage

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Typically I choose Water types because on its own, Water has the least weaknesses of the three and it comes off as giving a lot of coverage
Its always been reliable in older games too, since surf is usualyl available early on. Squirtle is the best choice for speedrunning RBG.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
Kanto: Charmander
Johto: Cindaquil
Hoenn: Mudkip
Sinnoh: Turtwig
Isshu: Oshawott
Kalos: Froakie
Alola: Rowlet