• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which starter type do you choose most often?

Which starter type do you choose the most?

• Grass

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Fire

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • Water

Votes: 29 45.3%

• Total voters

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Out of the Grass-Fire-Water starter trios, which type do you often choose to accompany you on your journey?

I've been a lifelong Fire fan since Gen 3, choosing every single Fire starter in each game. There are a few exceptions, however, since I 'chose' (read: was forced to play with) Pikachu in Yellow, and Totodile in the original Silver. I deviated again from this 'rule' in SoulSilver with Chikorita, but all that apart, I've mostly chosen Fire.

Here's my complete starter history:

• 025.png
    (Yellow)
  • 007.png
    (X, as second starter)
  • 158.png
    (Silver)
  • 152.png
    (SoulSilver)
  • 255.png
    (Ruby and Omega Ruby)
  • 390.png
    (Platinum, never played Diamond/Pearl)
  • 498.png
    (Black and Black 2)
  • 653.png
    (X)
  • 725.png
    (Sun, still haven't played Ultra Sun yet)
  • Scorbunny (if I get a Switch and Sword/Shield)
I know you can get all three Kanto starters in Yellow and Let’s Go, but I never really bothered with them in the former, and I haven’t played the latter as I don’t have a Switch. Since you also choose one of the Kanto starters in X/Y along with your main Kalos starter, and as I chose Squirtle (now a Blastoise), that could count as me not choosing the Fire type.

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I usually pick the fire type, their designs appeal more to me for some reason.
gen 1 : Grass
gen 2: Fire
gen 3: Fire
gen 4: Fire
gen 5: Grass
gen 6: Fire
gen 7: Water
gen 8: Fire (For now, since the final evo isn't known yet)

johno1995

I definitely picked Water the most. I only picked Grass once...

Gen 1: Water
Gen 2: Fire
Gen 3: Water
Gen 4: Fire
Gen 5: Water
Gen 6: Grass
Gen 7: Water
Gen 8: Fire (not a final decision)

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I usually just chose which ever one has the nicest design. I often use more than one as well. Since they are in my Signature I won't list them here as well but tallying it up it comes to 6 grass ( 5 if we don't count the Kanto starters in Kalos), 4 water and 4 fire. So grass has the edge but only just.

DSDark

Breeder
On my first run of any generation I always go Fire. I have since Charmander

Gen 1: Charmander (picked all)
Gen 2: Cyndaquil (picked all)
Gen 3: Torchic (picked all)
Gen 4: Chimchar (picked all)
Gen 5: Tepig, Snivy is my fav (picked all)
Gen 6: Fennekin, Froakie is my fav (picked all)
Gen 7: Litten, Rowlet is my fav (picked all)
Gen 8: Scrobunny for sure, unless it gets the fighting type but even then I'm not sure

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Water, it is the only starter type with no fully evolved forms that I actually dislike. I almost never pick Fire types, since the only fully evolved Fire starters that appeal to me are Typhlosion and Charizard (and I don't even like standard Charizard very much).

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Fire. Only time Fire wasn’t my starter preference was Gen 3 as I like Sceptile a little more than Blaziken.

Grass is in the middle. Venusaur, Sceptile, Torterra, Serperior, & Chesnaught are all cool. Not a fan of Meganium & Decidueye

Water is definitely last. Only like Blastoise Empoleon, Greninja, & Primarina.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Kanto:
009.png

Johto:
160.png

Hoenn:
257.png

Sinnoh:
395.png

Unova:
503.png
- Even though my favourite of the three starters happens to be
500.png

Kalos:
652.png

Alola:
724.png

I started with Water most of the times.

Four out of seven times is a majority, I think. ;)

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Water is the type that I choose the most often. In terms of firsts..well sometimes I get the other version, but with the first example?
  • Kanto: Bulbasaur(Leaf Green), being the mascot in its evolved form
  • Johto: Totodile(Heart Gold, original playthrough), Chikorita(Heart Gold second playthrough, result of shiny hunting SR), Cyndaquil(Crystal, first Virtual Console/original Johto games)
  • Hoenn: Swampert(first game ever, Sapphire), Treecko(remakes, Omega Ruby)
  • Sinnoh: Turtwig
  • Unova: Tepig(White), Snivy(White 2)
  • Kalos: Chespin
  • Alola: Decidueye(original version, Sun), Primarina(remake, Ultra Sun). Primarina is notably my first unintentional female starter

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Alola: Decidueye(original version, Sun), Primarina(remake, Ultra Sun). Primarina is notably my first unintentional female starter

US/UM aren’t remakes of the original Sun and Moon, but they’re not really sequels either, since they take place in a parallel universe to S/M.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
US/UM aren’t remakes of the original Sun and Moon, but they’re not really sequels either, since they take place in a parallel universe to S/M.
For practical purposes they are. Or does every prior remake count as a parallel universe to the original now?

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
For practical purposes they are. Or does every prior remake count as a parallel universe to the original now?

Not really, HG/SS still takes place three years after FR/LG, just like G/S/C was set three years after Red/Blue. And Black 2/White 2 was set two years after the original Black/White. Platinum takes place an unspecified amount of time after Diamond/Pearl, though it could be a parallel universe like US/UM is to S/M, because Team Galactic somehow rise again after they were defeated by the player in D/P.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I usually pick fire and water, they tend to be my favorites. Grass tends to be my least favorite, as it's not as useful for me. Only the chikorita and rowlet lines get any use from me, while I love most of the fire and water starters.

Usually water. For some reason, the water type starters appeal the most to me. With the exceptions of gen 4 and gen 7. At first I didn't like any of the gen 4 starters but Chimchar is one I started liking and I opened up to Turtwig as well. But I'm still no fan of Piplup.

For Popplio, I disliked it at first while I liked the other gen 7 starters. Its final evo is alright but still my least favorite of the gen 7 set.

For gen 8, I'm also favoring the water type for now (not gonna post the name in case there's someone reading this who's avoiding spoilers). I'll pass my final judgment when the final evos are known though.

Orphalesion

Blue: Bulbasaur
Silver: Chikorita at first, but then Cyndaquil
Sapphire: Treecko
D/P: None, haven't played, but I would choose Turtwig
White: Oshawott
Y: Fennekin
Sun: Popplio

So as a kid I usually picked Grass, since I've returned to the series I choose whichever starter's final evolution I like best.

raichu27

I would probably say fire. Mine are:

Blue: Charmander
Silver: Cyndaquil
Pearl: Turtwig (as a reference to Dawn's Piplup)
White: Oshawatt
Sun: Litten
Ultra Sun: Rowlet

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I would probably say fire. Mine are:

Blue: Charmander
Silver: Cyndaquil
Pearl: Turtwig (as a reference to Dawn's Piplup)
White: Oshawatt
Sun: Litten
Ultra Sun: Rowlet

We're fire buddies! :D

Funny you usually played the second version of each generation up until Gen 7. Why was that? Did you prefer the exclusive Pokémon in (Ultra) Sun over (Ultra) Moon?

For gen 8, I'm also favoring the water type for now (not gonna post the name in case there's someone reading this who's avoiding spoilers). I'll pass my final judgment when the final evos are known though.

I think most of us know the Gen 8 starter names by now if we've seen the Direct. I'm gearing towards Scorbunny for obvious reasons, but I wouldn't really mind if it evolved into yet another Fire/Fighting type (which I think it might become anyway, because of the bandage-like things on its nose and soles of its feet). I chose Blaziken, Infernape and Emboar in their respective gens, and they were all Fire/Fighting.

raichu27

We're fire buddies! :D

Funny you usually played the second version of each generation up until Gen 7. Why was that? Did you prefer the exclusive Pokémon in (Ultra) Sun over (Ultra) Moon?

I think most of us know the Gen 8 starter names by now if we've seen the Direct. I'm gearing towards Scorbunny for obvious reasons, but I wouldn't really mind if it evolved into yet another Fire/Fighting type (which I think it might become anyway, because of the bandage-like things on its nose and soles of its feet). I chose Blaziken, Infernape and Emboar in their respective gens, and they were all Fire/Fighting.
I have Pokemon White 2 and Pokemon Platinum, just haven't got around to playing them lately. Been wanting to play Sun and Ultra Sun around those times. I do like Solgaleo more.