• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Will You Start With?

Which One Will You Start With

• Bulbasaur

Votes: 22 19.6%
  • Charmander

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 17 15.2%
  • Bulbasaur and Charmander (Yellow)

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Charmander and Squirtle (Yellow)

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Squirtle and Bulbasaur (Yellow)

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I'm Using All Three, Of Course!!! (Yellow)

Votes: 38 33.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter1988

So as we all know (unless you have been living under a rock for the past few weeks) the original Red, Blue and Yellow games are being released on the 3DS Virtual Console 27th February. My question to you is which starter will you be choosing?

Will it be Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle?

Or if you are intending to nab Yellow version, which one of the three is most likely to secure itself a place on your team?

Let us know!

Personally I might go with Bulbasaur as I used it in my first ever play-through of Blue and of Leaf Green, so, you know... tradition.

Bananarama

The light is coming
I'm gonna go with Bulbasaur. I want to try something different with these VC games, and I usually pick one of the other two.

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
For me... I think I may go do Bulbasaur and Squirtle. Charizard tends to few a lot of love, so I will be tending to Venasaur instead. We will sure, for sure, when the time actually comes however. :)

In Red, I'll probably go with Bulbasaur. Squirtle's my favorite of the three (though I definitely like them all)...but I used one in a Blue Nuzlocke earlier this year, and I got a Charmander from Sycamore in the Y Nuzlocke I'm doing right now.

In Yellow, I'll probably make all three a part of my travelling team. Someone in the RBY VC thread talked about doing an Ash-inspired run, only using Pokémon that he caught during his Indigo League Badge quest, which sounds like a fun idea.

Enjolras

Master of the House
Of course all three in Yellow! Wouldn't have it any other way.

Sprinter1988

In Yellow, I'll probably make all three a part of my travelling team. Someone in the RBY VC thread talked about doing an Ash-inspired run, only using Pokémon that he caught during his Indigo League Badge quest, which sounds like a fun idea.

I did that many a time before, way back when. Pidgeotto are found in Viridian Forest and level 9, but only have a 1% chance of being found. I once spent about four hours searching for one, and not once did it occur to me that if I just caught one of the level 6 Pidgey I kept running into, within those same four hours I could probably have trained it to level 18, when it evolves naturally! And most of the time when I tried to make an "Ash" team, "Ash" usually ended up owning a Nidoking. Must have been a lost episode or something? :p

I did that many a time before, way back when. Pidgeotto are found in Viridian Forest and level 9, but only have a 1% chance of being found. I once spent about four hours searching for one, and not once did it occur to me that if I just caught one of the level 6 Pidgey I kept running into, within those same four hours I could probably have trained it to level 18, when it evolves naturally! And most of the time when I tried to make an "Ash" team, "Ash" usually ended up owning a Nidoking. Must have been a lost episode or something? :p
Ha. Good point about Pidgeotto too. I think I'll take a flexible approach and allow myself to use anything within the evolutionary families he had - mostly because I don't want to have to keep Bulbasaur and Squirtle in those stages permanently :p

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'm planning to use all three starters in Yellow and I'm picking Charmander in Red for my VC playthrough.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Bulbasaur, its quite bulky which is good for nuzlockes, its strong in the first three gyms, and its status moves make it better for catching other pokemon so its glaring weaknesses against opponents like Blaine Lance and Lorelei etc. aren't such a big deal by the you reach them. Also, after seeing some ideas for an Ash playthrough I kinda want to do a Red playthrough with Pika Poli and Saur.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Likely I'd choose Charmander in Red and Bulbasaur in Blue. I haven't decided if I'll get both games yet however but these are what I'd likely select. :3

Aquarelle

Staff member
I'm thinking of going with Squirtle on Blue version, though I may go with one of the other two if I decide to use a different Water type on my team.

Red - I'll probably play through it several times and use a different starter each time.
Yellow - I pretty much always end up with all 3 on my team.

Tsunami16

Not sure if I'll use a starter for the whole game on any of them, but Bulbasaur is most likely to be on my team. He has great typing for Gen 1 and is the only starter that has a STAB with a guaranteed crit in his learnset. Even if they patch the ~100% crit on Razor Leaf, he's still faster than other Grassmons iirc.

Cutty

Forever now
Squirtle! My fave Gen 1 starter.
But probably I will use all starters by restarting the game.

Alatar VGC

House Greyjoy
I'll be playing through Green with Bulbasaur. He is probably my favourite starter. And I don't want to use Charmander lol

Still, fitting no?

Feline

Why?
I may have chose Bulbasaur in my original blue, but if I do download this game from the VC, I think I'm going to choose Squirtle. I really like Blastoise for some reason. I have no idea what version I'm downloading yet, if I download....

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Are these also coming out translated? Might be a stupid question.

I've always picked Charmander. Even in Yellow, I will pick up Bulbasaur and Squirtle, but I hardly use them. I've also never really used any of the other Fire-types in GenI games. Which is a shame, because I generally like the type, but there's no point in training a Magmar if you've got very little of the story left. And comparisons leave me regretting not picking Charmander half of the time..

Classic! xD

Ha. Good point about Pidgeotto too. I think I'll take a flexible approach and allow myself to use anything within the evolutionary families he had - mostly because I don't want to have to keep Bulbasaur and Squirtle in those stages permanently :p

Try doing Johto without the flexible part.. No kidding, my Totodile owned Lance..

Bulbasaur, its quite bulky which is good for nuzlockes, its strong in the first three gyms, and its status moves make it better for catching other pokemon so its glaring weaknesses against opponents like Blaine, Lance and Lorelei aren't such a big deal by the you reach them. Also, after seeing some ideas for an Ash playthrough I kinda want to do a Red playthrough with Pika Poli and Saur.

Forgetting Sabrina? Because it's a Poison-type?

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
I'm going with squirtle in red and possibly charmander in blue. Squirtle was my first ever starter so I have to go with nostalgia =) and I dont think I ever used charmander in first gen because my brother said it was the worst starter so.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Forgetting Sabrina? Because it's a Poison-type?

I just didn't want to list too many, for Gen I Sabrina there's not much to do but go for bulk and power, snorlax, tauros and gyarados are probably gonna be more helpful than any starter. In fact the main reason I'm not that interested in squirtle, Pikachu or charmander is that I like Gyarados, jolteon and Growlithe so much but Bulbasaur was my favourite Grass type in Gen I by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.