• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which would you be more excited for, Serena returning or Greninja returning?

Serena or Greninja?

• Serena

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Greninja

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • Both!

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • Neither....

Votes: 21 30.4%

• Total voters

Morax

King of heroes
Tropes are a means to an end, not a rulebook or a constraint.
Unfortunately that’s how the shounen industry works. You have the rare diamonds like HxH and JoJo who love deconstructing them and surprise their audience, but 90% of anime out there work around the same cliche tropes.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Unfortunately that’s how the shounen industry works. You have the rare diamonds like HxH and JoJo who love deconstructing them and surprise their audience, but 90% of anime out there work around the same cliche.
Or Death Note and Gintama. Both shounen as well but you wouldn't even know and some of the best anime out there overall, not just shounen.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
That’s fair, i can respect that :)

though i have to remind you that’s how shounen works. The girl is only just a prize for the protagonist. You won’t find a well written couple in this genre. From dragon ball to my hero academia, the romance always sucks.

if you want a good love story i’d suggest watching shoujo/josei anime like kimi ni todoke, ao haru ride and shigatsu wa kimi no uso.
Never liked YLiA lol cause I found Kaori annoying. Regardless, some of my favourite love stories have to be from Rascal does not dream of Bunny Girl, Clannad, Monogatari and definitely Kaguya-sama. And yeah, none of these are shounen.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Because it’s tied to her happy ending. By saying that you want her to move on you’re wishing misfortune on her. Imagine taking away someone’s happiness only to satisfy your ego.
And here's the major conundrum: Some people don't think it's necessary for a 10 year old to only be happy by getting a guy they have a crush on and believe and want her character to be more then her feelings for Ash. It's not wishing misfortune or being egoistic for preferring Serena to move on and Excel in other areas, drawing happiness and having an happy ending by accomplishing her dream of making others smile. Some people just don't care for the shipping because they don't like it, while they may care for others. Doing that isn't 'double standards'

If you asked me this 2~3 years ago, i would say both.

But after watching a bit of Journeys i realized that any character who isn't competing against Ash on the Tournament and had their arc concluded (or nearly concluded) would end up with a meaningless, underwhelming comeback episode that would entertain you for exactly 5 minutes until another character/subplot took all of the spotlight.

So i thought to myself: if the viewer liked those characters, then they should be glad the writers won't have the opportunity to mess up with their development. And if they *didn't* like those characters, they should be happy because they will never hae to see or hear about them ever again.

It's a win-win for both parties.
This is the perfect encapsulation. Everyone should be able to agree to it!

Morax

King of heroes
And here's the major conundrum: Some people don't think it's necessary for a 10 year old to only be happy by getting a guy they have a crush on and believe and want her character to be more then her feelings for Ash. It's not wishing misfortune or being egoistic for preferring Serena to move on and Excel in other areas, drawing happiness and having an happy ending by accomplishing her dream of making others smile. Some people just don't care for the shipping because they don't like it, while they may care for others. Doing that isn't 'double standards'
Are you forgetting that she wants to be the kalos queen? Just because Ash is her main goal doesn’t mean she has nothing more to do. You can have multiple goals in life. Where do people get this “she doesn’t have a life beyond ash” sh.it from?

When a character wants to impress/be with her crush and you don’t want her to, that is wishing them misfortune. Ash is her pursuit of happiness. You don’t like it? fine. You want her to do other stuff? perfectly okay. You want her to stop doing what brings her joy? That’s retarded.

Last edited:

nekojyara

Pretty sure yajima cleared up the ambiguity in his interview.
>Serena told Ash that she's going to improve herself, and then come back to him

Here’s what she said in japaneze :
  • anata wa watashi no mokuhyou yo. Tsugi ni aetara motto miryokuteki na josei ni naru kara *wink*
Notice that the word she used is mokuhyou which means purpose, objective, aim, goal, intention, policy, target etc. It’s something you want to achieve. Serena is saying that ash is her prize and she wants to get him.

The very next line translates to “next time we meet i’ll be a charming woman” and that’s pretty self-explanatory : Ash is her target and she wants to impress him/be with him.

Because it’s tied to her happy ending. By saying that you want her to move on you’re wishing misfortune on her. Imagine taking away someone’s happiness only to satisfy your ego.
i haven't completed xyz yet (despite i've watched last three episodes) i can't really judge what was the real meaning of serena's last words to ash. but i suppose "you're my goal" means that she wanted to be like ash: spreading positivity and inspiring people, just like serena's dream of making people smile (?)
or maybe it has double meaning, to both state her resolution and teasing ash

Morax

King of heroes
i haven't completed xyz yet (despite i've watched last three episodes) i can't really judge what was the real meaning of serena's last words to ash. but i suppose "you're my goal" means that she wanted to be like ash: spreading positivity and inspiring people, just like serena's dream of making people smile (?)
or maybe it has double meaning, to both state her resolution and teasing ash
Nah it’s more of “i want to impress you”. This meaning is reinforced by what she says next “ next time we meet i’ll be a more charming woman”

Jers745

I dont know :p
This is the perfect encapsulation. Everyone should be able to agree to it!
Dunno i liked the iris and gary, they update us with what they are doing now, and while dawn and korrina didn't one is going to come back soon and the other can prefectly return again to showcase her more

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
This thread is just a reminder to never bring Serena up in any way on these forums because she and the ship's still a massive discourse topic to this day. Especially since people are saying she s*xually assaulted someone even though Ash smiled and nodded after that kiss but that doesn't matter ig :U
Anyways with how Journeys handles characters, neither, unless Serena has like a sorta side-episode thing so that her time on the anime isn't rendered terrible and underwhelming.

deliaketchum

Serena and greninja should return for 4 part special before final match with leon.
Ash wants to choose his best team from all reserves to fight against leon.
Pikachu gmax, Lucario mega, Greninja bond, Incinroar zmove, Sceptile, Dragonite

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]
Serena's arc was pretty much perfect, don't want to watch her return and fumble.
Greninja, a win against Alain would be nice. Actually uh... scratch that, he is good where he is.

Neither need to return. Would rather have the writers forget about them.