• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

White 2 Team Help

RogueLapras

Water Gym Leader
Hello everyone. I have never really attempted to beat any of the Battle Towers/Subways/etc. in any game. I have tried them out, but never got around to making a team to beat them. I would like to IV and EV train a team to take on the Battle Subway. I have never battled competitively either, so I have no idea if I'm choosing the right moveset/natures/etc. Here is my team so far:

Lapras (Timid/Calm/Modest)
Surf, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Heal Bell

Infernape (Jolly)
Fire Punch, Mach Punch, U-Turn, Stone Edge/Work Up

Hydreigon (Modest)
?- I'm not sure what to pick from:
Substitute
Roost
Dark Pulse
Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
U-Turn/Fire Blast/Flamethrower

Now I don't know for sure about my last three members. I am thinking about adding a Psychic, Ground, and Electric Pokemon.

--Espeon (Timid) (Magic Bounce)
Reflect, Light Screen, Psychic/PsyShock, Baton Pass
--Alakazam (Timid) (Magic Guard)
Psychic/PsyShock, Shadow Ball, Recover, Substitute/Ally Switch

--Nidoking (Timid/Calm/Modest) (Sheer Force) (Life Orb)
--Gastrodon (Modest) (Storm Drain)

--Raichu (Lightning Rod)
--Electabuzz (Eviolite)
--Electivire
--Jolteon

The only Pokemon I want to keep is Lapras. I can exchange the others for other Pokemon. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Aura Sensei™

User Title
First things first, post the Pokemon like this:

Pokemon @ Item
Nature
EV's (if applicable)
- Move
- Move
- Move
- Move

Edit your first post like that, and it's easier to read ;)

In the Battle Subway, for Singles you use only 3 Pokemon. For Doubles, 4. So you'll have to pick out of 'em.

Lapras - It acn be replaced with Cloyster, but if you insist on keeping it, it looks fine. Try a Specs set with Hp [Grass] instead of Heal Bell. If you don't wanna breed for it, Psychic does alright.

Infernape - Try Fire Blast instead of Fire Punch to hit Physical Walls like Ferrothorn and Skarmory harder. In that case, use Naive instead of Jolly.

Bigheaded

King of the Wooper
Firstly can i state a HUGE difference between competitive and subway play.
Subway is about abusing the AI's lack of switching and avoiding AI cheating, or about 3 mega powerful pokes to take it by (sand)storm.
Competitive play is about countering everything your tier has to offer. This will usually mean using the strongest pokemon in that tier.

If you have no idea about tiers, i will suggest to start with, you use the nintendo one: http://www.smogon.com/bw/metagames/vgc2012
The nintendo bans most of the "strong" ubers as well as some of the weaker ones. This still leaves all legendary "trio's" such as zapdos/cobalion. Other "weaker" legendaries are also allowed. You should be allowed to use all of the pokemon in that list on your DS in a wifi battle. Some items are banned though, such as latias/latios's soul dew, as they become far too strong with that item.

I shall attempt to somewhat sort out a competitive lineout and use 3 of those to make some form of doubles/singles subway teams.

I will suggest an exceedingly offensive lineup. This is because of the moves you've picked. If you'd have taken some weather effects and stealth rock i may have suggested differently.

Lapras @ leftovers
EV's: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD. There is a good reason to avoid 252 hp, forgive me for not being sure of why.
Calm
Surf / roar
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Heal Bell

The aim of this is to wall any special attack which you don't have much to deal with. It's especially useful again dragons to then ice beam them. Although this only "really" applies to dragonite and rare flygon builds. It's mostly there to soak in a hit to preserve another pokemon and to hopefully deal some decent damage and heal status on it's way out. To be used later on in the fight.

Infernape @ Choice scarf
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 speed 4 SpA
Naughty / Naive
Close Combat
Overheat
Punishment
Rock Slide / Flare Blitz / Focus Blast

This set aims to deal with problems. If you have a pokemon, such as garchomp who has setup 2 swords dances against you, you need an extremely fast poke to stop it. This will generally do the trick. There are perhaps a few pokemon which can do this better, but infernape is a solid choice to use for it. If you'd really rather not be choice locked, go for life orb and naive nature.

Espeon (Magic Bounce) @ light clay
252 spe, 252 hp, 4 spd
Timid
Reflect
Light Screen
Psychic/PsyShock
Yawn / Toxic / Baton Pass

This is what you send out first, this can prevent stealth rocks and let you setup either reflect or light screen and sometimes if you want, both. Baton pass is to see what the opponent sends at you so you can send in the correct counter. Yawn/toxic work well also, wish could be there but its hp is rather low so the boost is generally not worthwhile.

Due to the way you've selected moves, we need to get 3 pokemon which work with what you've got and with each other. So firstly and possibly most importantly, we need as many resistances as possible. The main threat seriously covered so far, is "general" special attackers and scizor due to it's somewhat reliance on bullet punch (infernape is a lovely counter).

Some pokemons to seriously put consideration to:
Haxorus, Dragonite, Garchomp, Lucario, Magnezone, Mamoswine, Salamence, gengar, Blaziken, conkeldurr : great attackers
Scizor, Metagross, Gyarados 1-2 weaknesses whilst being ultra strong all round.

Generally, if your team does not have a steel in it, you will find yourself lacking resistances to all sorts. Dragon is somewhat similar as it resists some common types such as fire and water.

Basically the main aim from this is to either allow them to KO whatever you have out so you can send a relevant counter out to then set up on them (dragon dance/swords dance) or to be able to switch into the attack. Against stall, you will probably find a few poke's get paralyzed, so lapras could come in ultra handy then as you will then know what you're opponent is really upto.

For super subway doubles to begin with, chuck 4 strong attackers in. Infernape, 2x of the others and even the lapras can work.
For singles, lapras you will find lacking without curse or dragon dance. Chuck in infernape and 2 others.
Will quite possibly want to go for life orb on infernape, or choice band. Choice scarf is very rarely needed. Focus sash can be considered also.

RogueLapras

Water Gym Leader
Thank you both for your responses. I really appreciate the advice. I will try to come back later and edit my post. I am going to try the Battle Subway first. If I really like the intense battles, then I am going to study the tiers and try to make teams for competitive battles.

^^ Speaking of weather. I am trying to make a Rain Team too. All of this is a bit overwhelming when you are trying to learn out IV breeding, EV training, tiers, etc. all at one time, so again, I thank you both for your responses.

Bigheaded

King of the Wooper
Sent tips about rain by VM. As this topic is about your white 2 team.

If you're trying the subway, Lapras will be "ok" in doubles, due to surf hitting everything. Infernape will be useful due to being a speedy attacker and has a high chance of taking at least 1 poke down before he gets hit. Espeon can be useful if you're desgning a team like mine in my sig, although other pokemon such as Uxie, setup walls a lot better seeing we're not so worried about stealth rock.

I was also surprised when i found out pokemon was a lot more complicated than it looked and chucking in 6 decent attackers was not what everyone was doing :p