• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

White or Black? (and Why?)

Which one will you buy? White Version or Black Version?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobalt_Latios

As ashgirl said, the games diverge a little more this time as opposed to previous generations with version-specific locations. Black has Black City--a dark, industrial place that has trainer battles and evolutionary items for sale--and the city which holds the final Gym (Opelucid City) is sleek and technologically advanced. A man named Drayden is the Gym Leader here.

White has White Forest where Black City would be, and it's a huge forest where wild Pokemon and items can be found. In White, Opelucid City takes on a more ancient appearance (it still resembles a city, but with stone where there would be steel). In White, Iris is the Leader in Opelucid City.

But for the stories... they're for the most part the same, from what I understand. It's only the locations themselves that are different between versions. Team Plasma doesn't act any differently, I believe. The only characters that I know change roles (excluding some trainers which offer either Rotation Battles in Black or Triple Battles in White) are Iris and Drayden, as the one that you don't challenge does something different in the game.
You mean, the locations actually look different between versions? That's a first. And Black City is starting to sound appealing.

I may just pick it up during the Summer time...

Yeah. According to Serebii, there is one (1) Rotation Battle in White, and one (1) triple battle in Black.

Which makes choosing White very hard for me.
That's gotta suck. But, you could always just Wi-Fi battle them, right? Or, is there something preventing you from doing that?

/CL

Liquid Luck

I'm leaning more towards Black since I personally like Reshiram a lot more than Zekrom and I love the technological theme over natural.

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
The poll is missing the "both" option xD

I'll take Black, because you can see Braviary in Black (used by Cynthia) but you cannot see Vullaby & Mandibuzz in White :p
Thanks to Cynthia, collecting Unova Pokemon is actually easier in Black, there's only 1 thing you don't get to see (Thundurus), while in White you have 3 (Tornadus, Vullaby, and Mandibuzz)

SneaselClaw

The poll is missing the "both" option xD

I'll take Black, because you can see Braviary in Black (used by Cynthia) but you cannot see Vullaby & Mandibuzz in White :p

I'm taking that as a good thing, those two really don't appeal to me which is why I'm getting White first.
But like with the rest of the series, I'll be buying Black sooner or later to complete my Dex with ease

Cldawson

I control Time so ha
I will be getting White for many reasons. First of all, I like Zekrom the best and I also like Thundurus. The white forest is better because I want to complete the Pokedex. I also like the triple battles better.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
I am picking both simply because I can (woot!) and because it's easier to complete the Pokédex on one version and I can keep on playing and playing and playing and playing. However I'm not sure which version is going to be my 'main' version as of yet. I think I am leaning towards Black simply because I prefer the technological aspect of it and rotation battles just look cooler than triple. But I'm not sure yet - so I'm going to play through both versions with Snivy as my starter, pick my favourite and then restart the one I want to use as my 'play' game.

Icing Sugar

I prefer White version because it has better exclussive pokémon, and because of the white forest, it has more pokémon to catch and I hate having to trade a lot :/

I'm getting White as the white space around Zekrom is very nice, nicer than black around white Reshiram.

I also prefer Zekrom's design more than Reshiram especially since the original artwork for Reshiram makes it's arms look awkward.

I also prefer some of the exclusive pokemon to Black's such as Wargle and Rankurusu. Although i'd love to find a shiny Whimsicott but it's in Black.

bookist

Ill get white, since I bought Black in Japanese.

Coca Cola

I suppose it's all about personal preference, as for me, I'd like to be able to complete my Dex faster thus going with White due to White Forest.

Each to their own and what not.

Kur0nue

Round-a-Bound
Ill get white, since I bought Black in Japanese.
^ This. But since I prefer Zekrom, I think I will like the White version better. I always try and get the version I think I will like more in English.

Crystal_Power

The Champion!
Pokemon White Version, becuase it has Iris! :p

Black for both Black city and Reshiram. Black city seems way cooler to me and Reshiram is cooler and looks more like a dragon. Although White has Iris, thats about the only thing in White that I like better than Black.

Umbreon9

It's been a while...
I also prefer some of the exclusive pokemon to Black's such as Wargle and Rankurusu. Although i'd love to find a shiny Whimsicott but it's in Black.
You mean White? ;)

I prefer Black since I like Reshiram and Black City. I also like Whimsicott because, well, it's a cute cotton ball thing with an "OMG" face.
...But I like Braviary better than I like... that hideous vulture thing that I'm stuck with.

Status
Not open for further replies.