• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

WhiteLegend's 5th Gen (In-Progress)

After not spriting for a couple years, I decided I want to design a 5th generation of pokemon to pass some time. I'm a little rusty, but I think they'll come out alright. Right now, all I have are the Fire starters. The second and third are Fire/Ghost, because I prefer interesting designs to imaginary game balance. (There's no type triangle including Ghost in it.)

What I'm looking for is constructive critisism and tips on how to improve. Hopefully, I'll get the next starters out soon.

FireStarters.png

Last edited:

dragonzrule

<- Currently Hunting
They are alright. The design of the last one is hard to understand. You might want to put orange in the fire because the yellow and red looks too harsh. You changed to colors on the first stage, but I like the basic's grey better. The greenish tint makes it more rustic looking. The shading on the middle one's legs is really flat and its right leg's shading is really sharp. On the final stage, the lowest bandage has a straight line of shading that looks unnatural. Overall I think there is too much fire on the last one. Not bad for taking a break from spriting.

Rapid Distortion!

Amateur Philosopher
Ohmygod! These are too scary too be pokemon!! Are you joking?!

Lulz, just keddeng bout that. Really tho, You could tone it down a little.. if you think about it this way, It almost looks like from start to finish all thats happeneing is the little doll is slowly exploding outward with fire bursting out of it in every direction. And I really does look like his skins splitting and shredding apart. Shudder.

As far as crit, everything's way too busy. Too many small pieces. Look at the last sprite. Find me any pokemon sprite that has half as many seperate pieces as that one. Even a third. I don't think there are any. The fire is really.. pretty much bad.. on all of them. There's a nifty fire tutorial floating around the forums... It could be in the tutorial thread, I'm not sure. But really, all you gotta do is zoom way in on a Charmamnder's tail to see how fire's made to look good. All the tiny pieces on the last evolution that are only 1 pixel of red, supposed to look like fire spray? Not needed. Makes it very messy. And all in all, this doesn't look like a starter. Ghost starter would be very improbable due to all the starters being cute looking at frist ten looking cool. cool tho, not scary :\

I'm glad you're trying, and I'm not just tryin to bash you. Keep it up, I'm sure you can Improve.

EDIT: I also noticed that basically allll of the the pieces of fire on the last sprite are very awkwardly shaped and placed. they should form flame-shapes, and make up a central design.