• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who’s voice do you like the most in the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kintaro

Banned
I watch the dub and I like Ash and Misty’s original voices. I also like Dawn’s voice.

I also prefer Meowth’s 4kids voice so much more over his current voice. It’s terrible.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Veronica Taylor's May, I've seen you talk about it on social media.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
I'm surprised you didn't mention Veronica Taylor's May, I've seen you talk about it on social media.

I do like her as May but I prefer her more as Ash.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Misty's/Jessie's OG dub voice is one of my favourite voice actors of all time so obviously theirs. May's first VA was really good too but the one they replaced her with was terrible. Dawn's was nice to listen to but she was a bad actor. I like most of the side characters and villains dub voices in the movies too. As for SuMo, Lana's has a good tone and is decently acted, Kiawe's actually made me like the character which is something the games and the Japanese VA failed to do. Rotomdex is a good fit but I don't like it.

Now for the opposite. As I mentioned earlier, May's second VA was just awful. The villain from the mirage pokemon special had an awful voice and I hate that they messed with Hun's gender in the dub; in fact Legend of Thunder as a whole had terrible voice acting and a bad dub script. Lillian's voice is the absolute worst though... who's idea was it to give a main character such a bad and unwitting voice???

Kintaro

Banned
Battle Frontier and early DP need a redub similar to how FUNimation redubbed some of the early seasons of Dragonball Z.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
As for SuMo, Lana's has a good tone and is decently acted, Kiawe's actually made me like the character which is something the games and the Japanese VA failed to do.

Marc Swint is actually why I'm glad I'm a procrastinator and thus will watch Sun and Moon dubbed instead of subbed like I originally attempted to do. From what little he's talked about of his role as Kiawe (I've heard him bring it up in his and Ben the Sage's podcast a couple years ago), he enjoys it.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Marc Swint is actually why I'm glad I'm a procrastinator and thus will watch Sun and Moon dubbed instead of subbed like I originally attempted to do. From what little he's talked about of his role as Kiawe (I've heard him bring it up in his and Ben the Sage's podcast a couple years ago), he enjoys it.

That makes me happy to know. he brings so much life and personality to the role.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Man, I also miss Prof. Oak's 4kids voice so much. I absolutely loved Oak's original voice, such a shame his new voice never sounded quite right.
Yeah, Oak's original voice sounded a little old for a man in his 50's. But it really did convey friendliness and wisdom at the same time. The new one never seemed to fit for me.

That said, the best voice performance hands down is still Dan Green going full ham in Movie 3.
Shin'ichiro Miki was also pretty much the perfect version of Charizard.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I’ll just do the dub: 4kids versions of Ash, Misty, Brock, James, and May followed by Dawn, Paul, Cilan, Kiawe, and Lana. Honorable mention goes to BW/XY/SM Ash since I do like how Sarah has improved over the years. I am actually a bit scared for the day when she gets replaced by another VA because the new one may either do fine initially or we go through another BF/DP situation!

Worst of them imo are post-4kids TRio, Iris, Georgia, Serena, Bonnie, Korrina, Alain, Sawyer, Lillie, and Samson Oak. Neutral on the rest.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Nyasu's original voice is my favorite due to how unique he sounds even for a cartoon feline. Satoshi's original voice is a close second however, mainly because I'm a huge Rica Matsumoto fan.

Kintaro

Banned
I'm not sure if this is a hot take or not, but I think Veronica Taylor's May voice was better and more enthusiastic than her Ash voice at times. We've never had a dub voice with as much enthusiasm, bubbly and fun sounding like she did for May again. I'm so glad 4kids went with her at the beginning of Hoenn too since it's a bit weird to think the lead voice for Ash of the show would do a female companion too.

It's very strange that Veronica Taylor never gets as much credit for her voice on May as for Ash, granted I know it's because Ash is the main character and still around 15+ years later while May only had one more season Veronica Taylor could have done as her, but the voice she gave May was perfect. A lot of other female characters have voices that sound either too old/mature for the character or that squeaky anime girl voice, or whatever the hell Lisa Ortiz does these days, but May's was perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.