• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who are Pokemon's Chief Writers?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I think Tomioka being let go from the main writer seat may have to do with him struggling with bigger casts? I mean, I've seen people complaining that Digimon Adventure Colon creates a lot of situations to split the children into groups.

Even with DP, where we only had 3 and 2/3 being stabilished characters, there was still all the issues with Brock, who mostly just stand there.

Epicocity

I think Tomioka being let go from the main writer seat may have to do with him struggling with bigger casts? I mean, I've seen people complaining that Digimon Adventure Colon creates a lot of situations to split the children into groups.

Even with DP, where we only had 3 and 2/3 being stabilished characters, there was still all the issues with Brock, who mostly just stand there.
I feel like that's something that can fall on the director. Brock was already showing how functionally unneeded he was by AG, and it's not like replacing the head writer with Matsui and Yonemura improved the balance. Heck, one of the chief complaints of the current series is how lopsided it feels towards Gou as opposed to Ash, which given Tomiyasu's seeming style of taking one character at a time to focus on it, or an arc in one spurt (which you can see in SM and the current series), I'd say it has little to do with big casts and more the tonal shift or just general direction change.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I feel like that's something that can fall on the director. Brock was already showing how functionally unneeded he was by AG, and it's not like replacing the head writer with Matsui and Yonemura improved the balance. Heck, one of the chief complaints of the current series is how lopsided it feels towards Gou as opposed to Ash, which given Tomiyasu's seeming style of taking one character at a time to focus on it, or an arc in one spurt (which you can see in SM and the current series), I'd say it has little to do with big casts and more the tonal shift or just general direction change.
Fair point but, I dunno... After seeing it happen with him on DP, XY and now Digimon, it's starting to sound like a pattern. Unless he is just unlucky with directors.

Epicocity

Fair point but, I dunno... After seeing it happen with him on DP, XY and now Digimon, it's starting to sound like a pattern. Unless he is just unlucky with directors.
I mean, every writers has strong points and weak points, but Tomioka succeeds where far too many others fail: the art of pacing. It's something neither Matsui, and especially not Yonemura, have managed to attain. I'll take a better paced anime over one that focuses on everyone. Though to be fair, the Pokemon anime has never been one to have balance from the beginning, so I doubt Tomioka has anything to do with it, and I'd argue there have been more complaints about imbalance since SM thanks to the large cast and the relatively directionless/mishandled Ash.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Still, the shows he was in charge of had 3 main cast members (not counting TR) which is kind of my point. At least for Matsui, one can make the case of she having to juggle way too many people, not to mention relevant recurring characters like Kukui.

As for Tomioka's pacing, I think he does fine most of the time. Except when things need to be stretched such as the infamous Snowpoint-Sunnyshore gap...

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Still, the shows he was in charge of had 3 main cast members (not counting TR) which is kind of my point. At least for Matsui, one can make the case of she having to juggle way too many people, not to mention relevant recurring characters like Kukui.

As for Tomioka's pacing, I think he does fine most of the time. Except when things need to be stretched such as the infamous Snowpoint-Sunnyshore gap...
tbh while the gap was huge, still a lot of stuff happened during it (TG arc, Ash vs Paul 6v6, Grand Festival, Twinleaf Festival, HGSS arc, Ash getting Gible, Gliscor going to train, Infernape)

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Tomioka probably left to focus on other work. Considering how he's basically still doing his usual thing in every episode that he personally writes--so much so that he's basically writing story arcs even if the episodes aren't aired consecutively--it isn't like he's missing out on much. Matsui's SM had a cohesive focus on family and how life is lived in the Pokemon world. The mood of the 2019 series is unpredictability and episodic life, with Tomioka's battle/mechanics mood in his episodes and Matsui's focus on family and girls in her episodes. Now we also have Akao Deko's "absurdist comedy" episodes mixed in, which Yonemura handles 'grand narrative' episodes typically.

Like it has set out to be from the beginning, the 2019 series is an "anything and everything" sort of series.

Let's also bare in mind...episode count basically means nothing. You can do a really good one cour or two cour story. The Pokemon series doesn't need to stretch storylines out for years and year like it did with DP, as good as the DP storylines are you can and probably should still watch those episodes together, not between other episodes.

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
There was actually an Interview with General Director Tomiyasu, Animation Producer Hiroyuki Kato and Former General Director Yuyama in the Spoon.2 Di 62 Magazine about why Yuyama handed over the General Director Position to Tomiyasu. Kato said that Tomiyasu had the power to draw out more emotion out of the characters and was talented at making people feel different things which is why Yuyama handed over that position over to him. I haven't read the Interview myself but this Japanese Blogger who blogs regularly about Anipoke talks about it here.

https://snowdrop319.livedoor.blog/archives/83062257.html.

More on, it was also said that the 2-Split Episode Segment was an Idea of Producer Tomoya Negishi (the same guy who said that this series would be super episodic at the beginning). When he first mentioned that idea, there were eyebrows raised from the Main Staff considering how much effort it would take but they went with it anyway.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Tomiyasu did do an excellent job with drawing out emotions in character and making more character based story in SM so I'll commend him for that. The litten and mallow episode really hit hard

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
They put him in charge of the movies, that's where the money is. If that's not first choice then i don't know what is.
Plus he has more creative freedom there than what he'd be allowed on the show

Epicocity

There was actually an Interview with General Director Tomiyasu, Animation Producer Hiroyuki Kato and Former General Director Yuyama in the Spoon.2 Di 62 Magazine about why Yuyama handed over the General Director Position to Tomiyasu. Kato said that Tomiyasu had the power to draw out more emotion out of the characters and was talented at making people feel different things which is why Yuyama handed over that position over to him. I haven't read the Interview myself but this Japanese Blogger who blogs regularly about Anipoke talks about it here.

https://snowdrop319.livedoor.blog/archives/83062257.html.

More on, it was also said that the 2-Split Episode Segment was an Idea of Producer Tomoya Negishi (the same guy who said that this series would be super episodic at the beginning). When he first mentioned that idea, there were eyebrows raised from the Main Staff considering how much effort it would take but they went with it anyway.
To clarify what I understand is that this isn't really confirmation that's the reason Yuyama handed it over. A translator I trust has pretty much said it's the blogger thinking this might be the reason why based on the producer's words, but there's no hardcore fact here.

They’ve had pretty much the same director for SM and JN (when the show was sh*t)

Coincidence, I think not