• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who are the true anime fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arceusgamer14

It's just been bothering me for so long if I should be proud of that I still embrace the show like it's my favorite show to watch and have a big topic

But this might be a dumb topic, but who are the true fans to the Pokémon anime? The fans who still watch and don't bother much the changes and move on with the anime as it shifts? Or the fans who only love the older or a certain season or saga that thinks the new seasons are awful ether because of Misty's departure or the New Voice actors in the dub or something else that may not having just the Massive Filler Episodes where it should be the only good reason to stop watching this show and don't mind the changes?

Who are more true to the anime and are consider the loyalties of this anime? And who impacts it the most?

I know it's a stupid topic like I said before!

Honeyichigo

The manliest
The fans who impact the show most are likely the japanese schoolchildren who it's aimed at. And trying to call one part of the fandom the "true fans" while devaluing the rest is really kind of a thing that shouldn't be done.

LizardonX

Banned
Darn it Honeyichigo! You Ninja'd me XD

The true fans are impulsive 8-11 year old Japanese schoolchildren with well off parents who loves all things kawaii and couldn't recognize good writing and development if it smacked them in the face.

Arceusgamer14

Oh so the writers main goal is mostly the children and not the die-hard fans who care about what should be. It doesn't matter what the non-children fans say, it's still Pokémon the anime with everything that at least has some good stuff for a children show?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Every generation the previous 8-10 year old kids watching Pokemon get replaced by new 8-10 year old kids.

Its an endless cycle which is why the anime reboots with a new series every 4 years.

Bluelatios*

The question was more in the context of who is the most loyal, which may not necessarily be which audience consists of the largest number of viewers. Pokemon is one of those unique shows that appears normal on the outside, but offers depth for those who can see and appreciate it (ex. The growing bond between humans and Pokemon, the value and excitement of discovering new things,places, etc). In my opinion, Pokemon most benefits those who appreciate Pokemon on that deeper level that has given it more longevity and character than your average cartoon. In my experience, the more reasons you discover why you love Pokemon, the more you feel proud to be a fan of it.

The scope of Pokemon's audience can't be defined using only broad terms like kids, teens, adults, etc. On one hand, you've got the fresh new people watching it for the first time during any era of the show. On the other, you have both people who continue to enjoy Pokemon whether it's a specific time period in its history, or continuously throughout each new season/generation. Those are the people who then turn around and market the brand to future generations. It's the new and the long-term fans. Together they're the driving force behind Pokemon's successful continuation.

Last edited:

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Most likely, if you're reading this forum you have absolutely no impact on the anime.

Oh so the writers main goal is mostly the children and not the die-hard fans who care about what should be.

Elementary School aged children are one of the most significant age groups for products in the US. They're also the most impressionable. Since they're too young to know the difference between good and bad writing and don't question why a show plays out the way it is the writers can afford to put out an intentionally inferior product without fear of being canceled ... so long as they get the marketing job done. Most children themselves don't have the money to buy products, but their parents would likely buy their children something as a present for one thing or another.

Another significant buying age group is 18-30 year olds which seem more the speed of this forum and the internet in general. Young adults usually have their first full-time job and few responsibilities. Without a spouse or children they have more disposable income that they can use to buy luxury items. The problem with marketing to this age group is that they've grown enough to have vastly different tastes and be more critical of the product. Since they're less impressionable it's much more difficult to sell a product to this age group.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
Y'know, the animé sickens me now. The creators of the animé (Shopro?) obviously think "hey, why bother making a quality product that everyone can enjoy... when we can just put in little effort and market it to all those walking keys to people's wallets - I mean kids - to justify our lame writing? Either way, money money money!".

An00bis

Wicked Witch
To be fair money is the endgame of almost every company.

That doesn't just translate into " let's sell as much as possible ". It's also something that we see on the production side. Even if Gamefreak technically has the money to throw into making a better anime there's no real reason for them to do that since it's accomplishing what it needs to. That said, I'm sure that the animation/writing budget has actually increased somewhat from the olden days since we have noticeably better visuals and the occasional good arch. Even with this improved visuals that doesn't mean that they don't skimp corners. A trained eye can see that much, but a casual user or young child would hardly notice that particular animation is one they use every time Ash calls the attack if they simply place it on a different background.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
True anime fans will except the show for what it is and not just some characters. The show is an endless cycle over and over but it is for children and if you're looking for something of a change hten maybe this is not the anime for you or maybe it's time to grow up. Just because you might not like it doesn't mean other kids doesn't.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
Just because something's for kids doesn't mean they should be treated as a pile of disposable income with the collective intellect of Beavis and Butthead. I'd like to see a Pokémon show that's actual entertainment, and not some stupid merchandising ploy.

Just because something's for kids doesn't mean they should be treated as a pile of disposable income with the collective intellect of Beavis and Butthead. I'd like to see a Pokémon show that's actual entertainment, and not some stupid merchandising ploy.

This, the franchise deserves so much better.

Bluelatios*

If the anime is perceived as being "better" quality in some form, then the young who watch it will not only be more likely to keep watching it, but will also be much less critical of it when they get older. It simply won't work to do only enough to get by. That's why Pokemon's greatest strengths must be at a steady standard; to keep you hooked and keep you marketing the brand as long as possible.

Last edited:

Haunter ゴースト

The fans are the people who enjoy it. The true fans are the people who watch every single episode, whether they started from the beginning, or was introduced to it in X Generation and watched all of the episodes prior.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
If the anime is perceived as being "better" quality in some form, then the young who watch it will not only be more likely to keep watching it, but will also be much less critical of it when they get older. It simply won't work to do only enough to get by. That's why Pokemon's greatest strengths must be at a steady standard; to keep you hooked and keep you marketing the brand as long as possible.

So basically, the animé producers/writers/whatever are trying to make their show uncriticisable by slowly "injecting" their viewers with some substance that reacts into nostalgia when they grow up and turn into people who see it (through rose tinted glasses) as the greatest thing ever made, ignoring (and maybe even denying) it's flaws and anyone who disagrees is a Microsoft/Sony/whatever future gaming company fanboy who has no childhood?

Makes sense to me.

Bluelatios*

So basically, the animé producers/writers/whatever are trying to make their show uncriticisable by slowly "injecting" their viewers with some substance that reacts into nostalgia when they grow up and turn into people who see it (through rose tinted glasses) as the greatest thing ever made, ignoring (and maybe even denying) it's flaws and anyone who disagrees is a Microsoft/Sony/whatever future gaming company fanboy who has no childhood?

Makes sense to me.

Why don't I put it another way? Those who have experienced watching Pokemon longer are generally more capable of intelligently assessing both its strengths and weaknesses; more than those who see Pokemon by merely whats on the outside. Both sufficient praise and criticism are of course vital to the success of the brand. However, criticism means little if it does not contain insight and constructive reasoning to back it up.

Last edited:

randomspot555

Makes sense to me.

I hate to break it to you, but the anime was a money grubbing machine with the sole intent on promoting the franchse back when you found it to be a quality produce as well as it is today.

The anime hasn't changed all that much over a decade+ time. you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.