• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who are the true anime fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arceusgamer14

The real fans are the ones who still watch the Anime, don't think Misty was the best and can grow up and move on.

Okay I hope that's true and that the main target of being aimed for children and don't have to worry about older episodes and move on as it evolves and shifts writers and characters! I hope that the Season One & Misty Fanboys are not the main target and don't impact the show!

Bluelatios*

On the contrary, I hope all Pokemon fans impact the show and that the creators have the maximum knowledge of their consumers. Knowledge = likely better writing/marketing = better Pokemon.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Darn it Honeyichigo! You Ninja'd me XD

The true fans are impulsive 8-11 year old Japanese schoolchildren with well off parents who loves all things kawaii and couldn't recognize good writing and development if it smacked them in the face.
What is good writing? The anime succeeds at what it's meant to be; a comical adventure. As such it's well written.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
What is good writing? The anime succeeds at what it's meant to be; a comical adventure. As such it's well written.

This pretty much. Want bad writing? Watch Shuffled

Okay I hope that's true and that the main target of being aimed for children and don't have to worry about older episodes and move on as it evolves and shifts writers and characters! I hope that the Season One & Misty Fanboys are not the main target and don't impact the show!

The true fans of Pokemon are the ones who love the show in their own way, and care for every character in some form. Who have at least given each saga a chance, and then and only then, passed judgment on it. Most of all, those who realize that it is all subjective, and we all have different opinions on the series thus far.

I have watched all of the eps of Pokemon thus far, but that doesn't make me any more of a "true" fan than someone who hasn't.

Last edited:

Arceusgamer14

And What I don't understand is that why do some fans say they "Miss Season 1"? What is so special about Season 1? I saw one Comment on the Miiverse where some guy said he misses the old Pokémon and said "Season 1 FTW" why is that? What's wrong with the other seasons?

And What I don't understand is that why do some fans say they "Miss Season 1"? What is so special about Season 1? I saw one Comment on the Miiverse where some guy said he misses the old Pokémon and said "Season 1 FTW" why is that? What's wrong with the other seasons?

A lot of fans identify with what came first, or namely the original Indigo League arc. Many more mature elements were also introduced in the first season that have been lost along the way (some claim such elements somewhat resurfaced in the DP arc). I myself have very fond memories of Season 1 and the Kanto dub. Some fans just feel the original season is a classic, and it can't be beat. While others just feel Pokemon was so much simpler back then, and they prefer it for that reason.

There's nothing wrong with Seasons 2-15, at all. Some people just love Season 1 for reasons above. It's all opinionated, and you shouldn't let it get to you like that. I love Seasons 1-8, but it's not like I dislike Seasons 9-15 either. I'm just not as fond of them, mainly due to the change in voice cast, writing, and music (admittedly, the first season of BW really rekindled my love for the series and I think the current voice actors are significantly better than when they started).

On the contrary, I hope all Pokemon fans impact the show and that the creators have the maximum knowledge of their consumers. Knowledge = likely better writing/marketing = better Pokemon.

Exactly right, my friend. It's a show for all of us. We all have different opinions. If people can't accept that, then they are not "true" Pokemon fans. OS, AG, DP, or BW, 4Kids, TPCi, or original JPN: the series is Pokemon. Yeah, things have happened here and there in the series I do not like one bit. I'm not proud of my prior misbehavior in posts, but this is an anime that has a good message to it and I feel has just lost its way.

Last edited:

Ausgirl

There's no "true" anime fan. It doesn't matter if you like the entire show or just a segment of the show. If you like it at all then you are a fan.

While Japanese school children may be the main audience that doesn't make them any more of a fan than western school children -or older people who enjoy the show for that matter. They only influence the original anime production. If you've ever watched an anime in Japanese with english subtitles then you will come across cultural references which is removed in the english dubs because the western audience, particularly young children, won't be able to understand it.

What IS a "true fan" anyway...?

Yup, it's funny, because Brownie and I already discussed this and we came to the conclusion anyone who enjoys any part of Pokemon is a "true" fan. lol.

There's no "true" anime fan. It doesn't matter if you like the entire show or just a segment of the show. If you like it at all then you are a fan.

Do you mind if I put this in my signature? lol.

Last edited:

Brownie

Anti Drew & paul fan
^Which is stupid. If you don't like this pile of crap piled into a Pokemon container, revoke your "fan" card. Lol

Honeyichigo

The manliest

This, very much so. There's a lot of complaining about how the anime is bad because it's not a high-intensity plot-driven violent action show or whatever, when it's never even tried to be anything like that. You can dislike the anime all you want because it's not that, sure, but you have to realize that it's not a matter of quality, it's a matter of your own taste.

Ausgirl

Yup, it's funny, because Brownie and I already discussed this and we came to the conclusion anyone who enjoys any part of Pokemon is a "true" fan. lol.

Do you mind if I put this in my signature? lol.

Of course not. I've never been quoted in a sig before, lol.

Of course not. I've never been quoted in a sig before, lol.

Thanks! :)

This, very much so. There's a lot of complaining about how the anime is bad because it's not a high-intensity plot-driven violent action show or whatever, when it's never even tried to be anything like that. You can dislike the anime all you want because it's not that, sure, but you have to realize that it's not a matter of quality, it's a matter of your own taste.

It is all a matter of taste. The anime has always been a tale of a 10 year old boy and his adventures throughout different lands, and the friends he makes and journeys he has along the way.

^Which is stupid. If you don't like this pile of crap piled into a Pokemon container, revoke your "fan" card. Lol

Exactly. If someone doesn't like everything Pokemon anime has done or even what it has been doing recently or did before, doesn't make them any less of a fan. They just feel differently, that's all.

Last edited:

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013

Yes, because we want a good story in Pokémon that means that we are violent sociopaths who want Pokémon to be a dark show with absolutely no fun at all and characters to die a lot.

The problem is that the plot is largely made up of retreads. It's literally the same "Ash travels a region with friends to get badges and lose in a League", just insert name of reigion and name/number of friends where applicable. If they just added a new protagonist each region after Johto, then everything noobish Ash did come Unova would make sense: we wouldn't be following a trainer who went to four different regions suddenly being stupid, we'd be following someone who's going on their journey for the first time.

And character personalities typically get either shoved aside for running gags that try too hard to be funny, or are nonexistant. Look at Ash: in the original series, he was brash and hotheaded and prone to mistakes, then in AG, they tried out a new role for Ash (acting as a mentor to May) that would've been interesting if they followed up on it.... but his mistakes that were made due to youthful inexperience were Flanderised into full-blown stupitidy. Now he is, to quote TvTropes, "a bland, can do no wrong, always moral Gary Stu with nothing resembling depth as a character", whose only mistakes are mistakes that someone in his position shouldn't even be making (seriously, FOUR regions, and he doesn't know the basics of catching Pokémon?! Is this even the same Ash?!)

*~Silver*~

The true fans of Pokemon are the ones who love the show in their own way, and care for every character in some form. Who have at least given each saga a chance, and then and only then, passed judgment on it. Most of all, those who realize that it is all subjective, and we all have different opinions on the series thus far.

I have watched all of the eps of Pokemon thus far, but that doesn't make me any more of a "true" fan than someone who hasn't.

I couldn't agree more. Personally, I do prefer the older seasons with the old voice actors, and don't enjoy the newer episodes quite as much. Does that make me less of a fan than others? I'd say no. It's not how MUCH I like the show it's just how I do.

I couldn't agree more. Personally, I do prefer the older seasons with the old voice actors, and don't enjoy the newer episodes quite as much. Does that make me less of a fan than others? I'd say no. It's not how MUCH I like the show it's just how I do.

I happen to be with you 100% on that opinion. :)

Yes, because we want a good story in Pokémon that means that we are violent sociopaths who want Pokémon to be a dark show with absolutely no fun at all and characters to die a lot.

The problem is that the plot is largely made up of retreads. It's literally the same "Ash travels a region with friends to get badges and lose in a League", just insert name of reigion and name/number of friends where applicable. If they just added a new protagonist each region after Johto, then everything noobish Ash did come Unova would make sense: we wouldn't be following a trainer who went to four different regions suddenly being stupid, we'd be following someone who's going on their journey for the first time.

And character personalities typically get either shoved aside for running gags that try too hard to be funny, or are nonexistant. Look at Ash: in the original series, he was brash and hotheaded and prone to mistakes, then in AG, they tried out a new role for Ash (acting as a mentor to May) that would've been interesting if they followed up on it.... but his mistakes that were made due to youthful inexperience were Flanderised into full-blown stupitidy. Now he is, to quote TvTropes, "a bland, can do no wrong, always moral Gary Stu with nothing resembling depth as a character", whose only mistakes are mistakes that someone in his position shouldn't even be making (seriously, FOUR regions, and he doesn't know the basics of catching Pokémon?! Is this even the same Ash?!)

Agreeably, Pokemon needs to broaden its horizons, and either mature Ash and company, or have a complete reboot soon.

*~Silver*~

Season 1 is for many people the most likable season because it really started out the series, and had the most liked characters and voice actors. It had a great story line and didn't linger over the journey between towns as much. I found that the gym battles in season 1 and 4-5 were the most enjoyable as well. I, personally, have no major favoritism for season 1 itself, but rather for seasons 1-9, but slightly more 1-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.