• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who are your HM slaves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kash0661

Lazy Trainer
Until HM moves are made unnecessary for going through the games their will always be pokemon who will only be caught for the sake of muling the moves we need but dont want to use.

For this game Watchog and Swanna have become the slaves, between them all HMs are covered (except Waterfall) also the former HMs rock smash and flash can be added to Watchog.

Can anyone name others from this Gen that can stack on HMs aswell as these two?

Last edited:

Cutty

Forever now
I usually use Watchog and Roggenrola. My main team can cover for Fly, Surf and other good HMs for battling.

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
Before the league, I relied on Swanna and Boldore to use HMs on the field. After the league, I pokétransfered a Mew and made it my HM Slave.

I use Tropius, Basculin/Simipour, and Simisage for my HM slaves. They don't have Tentacool, so I can't duo with Tropius for all 6-8 HMs. I need to try duoing Watchog and Swanna, I guess.

Edit: Swanna can't learn Waterfall, Watchog can only learn Strength and Flash after it evolves. I think I'll be sticking with what I have, tyvm.

Last edited:

Quantum1024

Flaming Death
I used Braviary as my HM slave in Gen 5. It knows all the land-based HMs (and Fly) required in Gen 5 and the obligatory Superpower. It is EV trained for maximum health and balanced defenses to stall enemies in game for capture. If exploring a dark cave, I would use a Watchog with Flash and the 2 land-based HMs. Surf and Waterfall are covered by my Ludicolo and my Swampert respectively.

kash0661

Lazy Trainer
Before the league, I relied on Swanna and Boldore to use HMs on the field. After the league, I pokétransfered a Mew and made it my HM Slave.

You used Mew as a HM Slave 0_0

kash0661

Lazy Trainer
I use Tropius, Basculin/Simipour, and Simisage for my HM slaves. They don't have Tentacool, so I can't duo with Tropius for all 6-8 HMs. I need to try duoing Watchog and Swanna, I guess.

Edit: Swanna can't learn Waterfall, Watchog can only learn Strength and Flash after it evolves. I think I'll be sticking with what I have, tyvm.

Thanks for pointing that out my mistake. Tropius is quite good but I generally like to get my HM slaves sorted out asap and training a Patrat till level 20 is better than waiting till much later in the game where Tropius is catchable (unless you can get one by trade early on), the water HMs arent that big a deal while Swanna cant use them all giving it one of the physical HMs and Fly is also workable while the left over HMs go to another water type, Basculine is the best choice to handle all the 2 remaining water HMs you dont use.

kash0661

Lazy Trainer
My only problem with Bravairy is its not available without trade on all the 5th gen games and it comes later in the games, generally I chose pokemon which are easy catches, require little to no training, this is why Iv gone with Watchog even though you need to train it you only need to get it till level 20 then its all set the others I hae already mentioned them in a previous reply to an earlier post.

It turns out, Tropius and Simipour handle all 6 HMs and Dig/Flash with ease as a duo. No need for a third with Rock Smash, it's not used anywhere except in Clay Tunnel in BW2, and then only once, clearing the path to Twist Mountain and the Regigolems' Chamber forever. Tropius is a post-game catch, tho, but worth it when you get there.

Quantum1024

Flaming Death
OK, so I lied about the EV trained thing about my Braviary. What I actually did was artificially input the EVs using Pokegen. That is actually the limit of what I would do in Pokegen, the only other things I do in Pokegen being IV checking and creating perfect Dittos for breeding use only.

All my HM slaves are EV-ed (can't say trained, because I didn't actually train them) for maximum health and balanced defenses (128 in Def and Sp. Def) to allow for stalling in case of emergency.

My list of HM slaves over the generations
Gen 1: didn't play that
Gen 2: Furret (Pidgeot was used for Fly)
Gen 3: Linoone (Swellow/Tropius for Fly)
Gen 4: Bibarel (Staraptor for Fly/Defog)
Gen 5: Watchog (dark cave exploration), Braviary (standard), Swanna (diver)

Last edited:

Kalosian

So long
Can't remember exactly what HM slaves I used, but I think they were Patrat for Cut, Sandshrew for Strength and Alomomola for Dive and Waterfall. I might also have used an Azumarill for some HMs. For Surf and Fly, I didn't use any HM slaves, just some members of my teams.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Once I got the national dex, marill and azumarill are pretty good. They can get surf, waterfall, strength...

ChuckNorris

I use Watchog and Swanna. Swanna isn't the best HM slave in the world, but you can obtain both pretty early.

Vendidurt

« Breeder »
i always carry a volcarona with me for one major reason - it is the only pokemon in black and white that has Flame Body (for better egg hatching) and Fly as options. this dual-purpose means i never let it go for any reason other than to battle competitively. i also have a Kingler for Surf, Strength, and False Swipe. it also can learn Thief and Cut so i have a pretty strong Kingler.

It is in the top percentage of Kingler....

EspNeon

Badge Collector
I pretty much always use a Purrloin for Cut to enter The Dreamyard and then deposit it when the mission is complete.

Aside from that, I rarely use HM Slaves. Most of my team members have HM's added into their movepool (mainly Surf, Waterfall and Fly). That way I can have 6 active barsttle on my team rather than 4 and 2 Hm Slaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.