1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest
    As I'm sure you're well aware, sites aren't free to run and so we run leaderboard adverts to fund the site. These ads are often specific game ones run by Sega etc.
    To make sure we get relevant ads as much as possible, could you fill out this survey my ad network is running? It's 100% anonymous and will just help us keep relevant ads on the site
    https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8GL2ZTK
    It's open til April 3rd
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Who do you find more annoying? Oshawott, Piplup or Axew?

Discussion in 'Animé Polls' started by Azureth, Dec 22, 2018.

?

Who do you find more annoying?

1. Oshawott

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. Piplup

24 vote(s)
    45.3%
  3. Axew

17 vote(s)
    32.1%
  1. Akkipeddi

Akkipeddi Double Accel!

Dedenne didn't even have as much screen time as these 3. A more suitable example is Chespin. And even then, both Dedenne and Chespin didn't come close to how much of a screen hogger Piplup and Oshawott were.

satopi, Xuxuba and keepitsimple like this.
  2. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

Its not just about being usefull there are many other factos like being screenhogger, focus and being annoying
    While oshowatt and piplup were better developed due to being starters with series main characters they were screenhoggers and thus many people call them annoying. While dedenne and togepi were totally useless for being walking pokemon and din't get any focus while chespin and psyduck were comedy gag whose screentime was only there for comedy and they didn't particularly got any focus and development but they were kinda bearable since they didn't tried to hog all the glory, also one more factor could be that both oshowatt and piplup's (especially his) dub voices are also annoying.
    Piplu winning is understandable but I am surprised axew is second it wasn't anything special but it was far from annoying except for one or two cases like lost at the league.

Xuxuba likes this.
  3. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris Final Destination me, you *****.

Oshawott was simply the worst to me because Ash didn't seem to have a REAL ace in Unova, and Oshawott kept butting in at almost every battle opportunity. Remember when it used to win so much during the first half? The second half it kept losing too much and it never learned how underwhelming it was.

Piplup is only worse because it was the first one in a region that was more about battling, but it was around too much to get the attention. Had it been with Ash, things would've been much worse.

Axew is ****.

SH65 and LilligantLewis like this.
  4. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

I absolutely love Piplup's species but not even my bias towards piplups was able to make me like Dawn's annoying Piplup.

He was extremely egocentric and stuck up. The worst part is that he never became better. He just stayed the same the entire series.

Axew's personality wasn't as awful, but it was what the writers decided to do with him that was annoying. He got lost all the time and he barely had any progress or did anything relevnt.

Overall, i think both of them are equally annoying but in terms of personality itself, i would say Piplup.

5. Dragalge

Dragalge of the forums

Dedenne isn’t a screen hogger but it sure is a glorified pocket accessory!

As for me, Axew.

6. Kintaro

Kintaro Well-Known Member

I remember when DP first started most people absolutely loved Piplup. It's funny to see how opinion on it has changed so much.

7. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Really don't get where all this hate towards Dedenne comes from.
    He was just a little girl's hamster who eventually protected her, even going as far as putting himself in front of a giant Zygarde to protect her.

I really liked how Eureka at least got a pokemon to bond with for the entire series and even got to command him to attack sometimes, unlike the other little kid companion, Max, who usually only bonded with pokemon that would never be seen ever again.

I remember it quite differently tbh...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  8. keepitsimple

keepitsimple Eduardo and Alphonso

Nobody said they hated Dedenne lol

9. Kintaro

Dedenne was kinda Togepi 2.0 only a bit less bothersome because we didn't see it held in every episode.

10. ash&charizardfan

I used to think that as well but dedenne was much better version of togepi, it had more refined relationship with goomy/goodra and it also did showed maturity by trying to protect other pokemon as well can't say the same for togepi it acted as a spoiled brat from start to the end of OS. Dedenne may be underwhelming but much better version of togepi.

satopi and Xuxuba like this.
  11. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

I mean, you did call him the worst.

One might expect that you didn't like him that much.

12. Kintaro

In Kanto/Orange I liked Togepi because at the time it was a new mysterious pokemon from the then upcoming Gold/Silver games, and it's Metronome power made it seem like the writers had something planned for it. Then for the entire span of Johto it does nothing but sit in Misty's arms for 200 episodes.

They should have evolved Togepi around mid-Johto and had Misty keep Togetic on her team. It evolving in AG just felt like the writers realized they never put Togetic in an episode (not even with another trainer), so did it there.

Xuxuba likes this.
  13. satopi

satopi All hail Satomine Night!

Axew's a close second (I mean he did do a lot of annoying things in BW and despite I love his trainer and his potential, it just won't cut it.)

I chose Piplup despite his achievements, being useful, and belonging to best girl Dawn, he was a complete Pikachu clone that's too prideful, beefed with Ash's Oshawott which is a no no, and his voice is irritating in the dub. Dawn's Piplup made me think differently of all Piplup... but I only dislike Dawn's Piplup.

Though there's more annoying Pokémon out there (Jigglypuff, Ash's Corphish, Ash's Noibat, Misty's Togepi, James' Mareanie, Rotom, Clemont's Chespin, etc.) I'm disappointed in the options.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  14. ash&charizardfan

Yep they wasted its potential of having special powers kinda like with psyduck who ended up being a gag pokemon, probably ha to do with his trainer taking back seat for much of the series.

Togetic was introduced in gen 3 so its so at best it could have evolved towards the end of OS but even that would be better than what it got, evolving in two episodes in AG was like writers realizing that wait we have got a togepi a baby pokemon who didn't do anything so just evolve it and even better release it as well to give emotions ad make it memorable.

15. Kintaro

You know all this thread proves is how often making "mascot pokemon" tends to backfire. The writers try to market these pokemon for kids or toys, but the pokemon either end up annoying or get no development since they usually don't evolve, etc.

16. satopi

satopi All hail Satomine Night!

At least we were sad when Togepi left. :D Also, yes it barely did anything but I really enjoyed it's Metronome gag where it saved everyone in the nick of time and it had adorable moments too. Despite it making Misty more motherly, it also changed her into a more considerate and softer person, it truly was her signature Pokémon. Togepi was more of a baby Pokemon rather than a spoiled brat. I can't hate Togepi when it's role in one of the early Pikachu shorts was so memorable. I guess nostalgia helps too in Togepi's case.

17. PokeDeadpool

PokeDeadpool New Member

Neither. The Entire cast of SM tops the annoyance chart! XD!

LilligantLewis likes this.
  18. Kintaro

Of the first 5 main girls, only May and Serena didn't really have a forced mascot pokemon that was kept out of its ball all the time. Misty had Togepi, Dawn had Piplup, and Iris had Axew. And since they were out in every episode (or in Piplup's case after the first 30ish eps or so), we always had to see their pokemon do things. I'm not sure if can count the SM girls here, sometimes their pokemon are out but not always and they're not really heavily promoted.

I'm actually really happy May and Serena didn't have to have a pokemon mascot out in the open all the time, they're the only 2 of the original 5 female leads that did not.

19. ash&charizardfan

May and serena had starters so they didn't needed mascot pokemon though both got eevee which is also a mascot pokemon, while in dawn's case could be two reasons for having piplup out of her pokeball fist could be its popularity, it wasn't walking pokemon from day one more like it became walking specially towards the end of first year and the second one could be to show dawn as being co-star of the show, piplup and dawn were given same initial story as ash and pikachu in first episode of OS.

20. Kintaro

Yep, but none of theirs were treated as a pokemon out of its ball or forced mascot like Togepi/Piplup/Axew were. I actually really like how in the early DP episodes Piplup was still prominent but Dawn kept it in its ball. I can't remember which ep they started letting it out all the time, it was somewhere around 30-40 eps into DP or so...then it just remained out of its ball in every episode.