1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Who do you guys think was the strongest companion?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Sham, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Sham

Sham Smile

Honestly my top three would possibly be Iris, Dawn and Kiawe.

My lazy explanations include:

Iris- The 99 winning streak at a particularly young age, being accepted into Drayden prestigious school and finally being offered a Gym position.

Dawn- Mostly for her strategies and coming up with new ways to combine moves offensively. Not to mention was able to reach the finals of the GF on her first attempt

Kiawe- Kinda implied he was strong since the beginning, his league placing and the fact that he was considered for becoming a Kahuna if I remember correctly

If I had to rate them complete order though

Kiawe>Iris>Dawn>May>Misty=Brock>Sophocles>Lana>Mallow>Serena

edit: I forgot Clemont and tbh I don’t know where to put him

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  2. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ ^Me whenever I visit the PAD

Lillie is definitely the strongest out of all of them.

Followed by Dawn and Kiawe

RafaSceptile and Sham like this.
  3. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

Hikari and Iris always came across as the strongest females in the cast, although Haruka and Kasumi could probably give them a run for their money in fair circumstances.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Sham likes this.
  4. Applecorp

Applecorp Well-Known Member

Strongest was either May or Dawn. Misty could be a top contender too if she uses her Mega Gyarados but for all we know Dawn and May could have Megas too.

Leonhart likes this.
  5. Mew2

Mew2 Team Rocket's Enemy

I could easily see them with Megas, especially May since she would have at the very least Mega Blaziken. And she could also have a potential Mega Venusaur and/or a Mega Blastoise if she evolved Wartortle. Dawn would be tougher since the only Pokémon she had that could potentially Mega Evolve would by Buneary and that's only if she evolved into Lopunny, though if she returned, I could easily see her with a Lopunny that could Mega Evolve.

As for who the strongest companion is, for the girls, I would say it's a tossup between May and Dawn. In a straight up battle, I would say that May has the edge since her strongest Pokémon, Blaziken, has a type advantage over Dawn's strongest Pokémon in Mamoswine (I know Mamoswine is also a Ground-type but it would be hamstrung by not being allowed to use Earthquake due to the animé's ban on the move, which could even out the fight significantly, while Blaziken would have access to all of its advantageous attacks) and May's Pokémon are generally at a higher evolutionary level but Dawn has some strategies that are useful both in Contests and in regular battles. Given how Ash also helped her, I could see her managing to make it at the very least a good fight, even if she would initially have a disadvantage. Counter Shield would definitely be used quite often and may catch May off guard at first. If she uses it at an opportune time, it could help net her a win.

Leonhart likes this.
  6. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I'd want to see Haruka use Mega Bursyamo and for Hikari to evolve her Mimirol into Mimilop and Mega Evolve that. I miss when the previous female traveling companions would show up and battle the new ones.

7. mysticalglacia

mysticalglacia Alola Shill

For the female companions, I’d rank them:

May > Dawn > Iris > Misty > Lana > Serena > Lillie > Mallow.

May is overall most likely the strongest, from her seniority in Contests to her straightforward but also tactical battle style. From what I remember she’d use Contest combos but her focus was always more on getting physical with the opponent, and that coupled with her generally strong team has her first. Dawn, as aforementioned, focused more on techniques and combination moves but did plenty of outright battling as well. About equal maybe but May has the edge. Iris was established as a talented trainer from the start and while they let her show that in battle, the issues with her team gave her the short end of the stick. I never really saw her as better than May/Dawn either, even though she was clearly strong. I don’t really know what to say about Misty? Mega Gyrados carries but she did do more battling than the rest below her and is a Gym Leader. Now for Lana, the writing talks more about her strength than actually showing it. Still she’s proactive; on the occasions she did battle she was good. Honestly people rag on Serena a lot, me included. It’s true pretty much all of her battles were called off for some BS reason (or in the case of Gallade, not even explicitly shown to faint even though it was clear she beat it), but during the battles in question she was competent and decent enough to think up strategies. It was a bit weird how her skills improved on a whim in XYZ, but I didn’t really take issue with it and was just glad she was portrayed as holding her own. Lillie isn’t strong at all but her analytical approach gives her leeway; Mallow doesn’t know what a battle is.

Overall, I’d say May, Dawn, and Clemont.

LilligantLewis and Leonhart like this.
  8. SerGoldenhandtheJust

SerGoldenhandtheJust Well-Known Member

For males: Kiawe>Clemont>Brock>Cilan>Goh>Tracey>Max
    For females
    Iris>Misty>Dawn>Lana>May>Lillie>Serena>Mallow

Leonhart likes this.
  9. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

I'd have to say either Brock or Kiawe.
    Steelix tanked a z-move! It's sad we didn't get to see Kiawe rematch him as he could potentially win now. And yes, that's overall not just 'male specifically'

Female wise? May or Dawn

SerenaRulez likes this.
  10. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humans are tools

Overall i think brock being a battler and former gym leader plus most importantly having a different variety and types of pokemon. After that i put iris and misty then clemont who is a strategist then may and dawn, iris and misty are both active battlers who battle frequently while may and dawn mostly battle in contest battle which is water down version of pokemon battle.

It should be-
    Brock> Iris> Misty> Clemont> Kiawe> May> Dawn> Cilan> Lana> Serena> Lillie> Mallow

Leonhart likes this.
  11. CMButch

CMButch Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

Go is the strongest. He has badass Golurk and he will have strong Pokemon in future.

SerenaRulez likes this.
  12. Shuriken Throw

Shuriken Throw Well-Known Member

Dawn. She won lots and managed to beat May’s Glaceon too. Dawn’s strategies and determination helped make her the strongest and best companion.

13. SerGoldenhandtheJust

SerGoldenhandtheJust Well-Known Member

Considering how easy it is to take off its bandage that may not be true :p

CMButch likes this.
  14. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

Did Hikari really beat Haruka's Glacia, though? I might be misremembering, but I thought that Hikari won the battle because her Pochama had more points left on his counter at the end of the match, not because Pochama had actually knocked Glacia out.

SerenaRulez likes this.
  15. Kuzehiko

Kuzehiko Well-Known Member

May.
    >has a full team
    >2 powerhouses
    >May's Blaziken is as strong as Ash's Sceptile that defeated Tobias' Darkrai.

Then Iris, Misty, Brock and Dawn.

SerenaRulez likes this.
  16. Animac

Animac Well-Known Member

Between Iris and Clemont. We don't know if magearna can battle, but i guess Lillie is the weakest... if not her, then definitely mallow.

And yeah, regardless of what opinion we have of him, Go is probably going to be the strongest of ash companions by the end of Journeys.

SerenaRulez likes this.
  17. Almighty Zard

Almighty Zard He has returned.

And yet people still complain about that, claiming May "held back" as she could've used Blaziken (or heck even Venusaur) and easily crush Dawn but she choose to use a freshly evolved pokemon, and Dawn didn't exactly beat Glaceon, she won via points and barely at that.

May was more about knocking out her opponents in contests (though this stemmed from her being influenced by Ash) where as Dawn wins came more from taking advantage of the point system more times than not.

I really can't make a call on this one personally.

18. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

I'm tempted to say Lillie is at least more capable strategically, just Snowy wasn't trained to have any powerful moves besides her Z Move. Mallow had a fully evolved Pokemon and a mythical but never really learned the ropes besides spamming attacks, though she at least knows a Z Move now. They both might pass higher than Bonnie with Dedenne (and no I don't count her "commanding" Zygarde).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    SerenaRulez likes this.
  19. Sham

Sham Smile

Apples and Oranges. By the time May was facing Dawn she had three regions worth of Contests under her belt and Dawn had one (halfway). Using Glaceon was only fair given the EXTERNAL situation and to make it look less one sided to the viewers. Piplup is Dawn’s partner so obviously he’s going to be stronger than most of Dawn’s other Pokémon.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    SerenaRulez and Kuzehiko like this.
  20. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I disagree about Citron. The only time he showed that he was an above average battler was during the Miare City Gym battle, and even then it seemed to me that he was only shown in that light to make the Gym match more intense. The writers weren't consistent enough with Citron's strength as a trainer after that point, so I don't think he was meant to be one of the strongest companions.