• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who do you guys think was the strongest companion?

TheNewGuy

May.
>has a full team
>2 powerhouses
>May's Blaziken is as strong as Ash's Sceptile that defeated Tobias' Darkrai.

Then Iris, Misty, Brock and Dawn.

I have a small issue with this post - I don't think that Blaziken is "as strong" as Sceptile. Type advantage still matters in the anime, even if it clearly doesn't matter as much as it does in the game. I thought the writers there made a very clear decision to give May the advantage in order to negate the advantage Ash had as a trainer. They pulled a similar trick for Charizard vs. Articuno. Articuno was the "stronger" overall Pokemon of the two - that is to say, if Charizard and Articuno both faced the same opponent with no type advantage involved for either of them, Articuno would be the more likely to win - but type advantage reduced the gap in overall strength to the point Charizard was able to win in a direct match.

tl;dr: you aren't equally strong just because you tied a match, because type matchups exist. That said, even tying Sceptile - albeit in a contest setting - shows Blaziken to be a strong Pokemon.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
I have a small issue with this post - I don't think that Blaziken is "as strong" as Sceptile. Type advantage still matters in the anime, even if it clearly doesn't matter as much as it does in the game. I thought the writers there made a very clear decision to give May the advantage in order to negate the advantage Ash had as a trainer. They pulled a similar trick for Charizard vs. Articuno. Articuno was the "stronger" overall Pokemon of the two - that is to say, if Charizard and Articuno both faced the same opponent with no type advantage involved for either of them, Articuno would be the more likely to win - but type advantage reduced the gap in overall strength to the point Charizard was able to win in a direct match.

tl;dr: you aren't equally strong just because you tied a match, because type matchups exist. That said, even tying Sceptile - albeit in a contest setting - shows Blaziken to be a strong Pokemon.
I kind of understand where you're coming from but sadly I have to disagree with your claim. To be begin with the anime has shown us several times type advantage isn't really a big deal. Sure, it matters but it isn't always effective just like Iris' Dragonite taking damage x4 from Dawn's Mamoswine several times and still beat it. Has it ever happened two equally strong Pokemon lost to an opponent while the other equal strong Pokemon defeated it? I doubt it. I can't recall it myself so even if May's Blaziken had type advantage and did not get to beat Ash's Sceptile due to said advantage it does not mean May's Blaziken is weaker than Sceptile. We should also take into account Ash's Sceptile was into battles and training while May's Blaziken did this to a less extent which might explain why Ash's Sceptile is capable to tie with May's Blaziken when the latter is supposed to have type advantage.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Already discussed why I placed Lana above may in previous posts. Even if I place bonnie she would be dead last. Has shown no skill as a Pokémon trainer and only has a dedenne, heck isn't even a Pokémon trainer. Iris deserves to be on top of the list even if I don't like her character. Imo placing bonnie on a position anything other than last is a trash list

Bonnie killed Lysandre

nickdt

It seriously baffles me some people placed Kiawe above Brock (Who is the strongest male companion). Mega Steelix tanked a SE Z-Move against Turtonator (Who is by far Kiawe's strongest mon, especially since it went toe-to-toe with Gladions Lycanroc, who is arguably Gladions strongest mon) and didn't even seem remotely fazed by it either. Brock and Steelix have also mastered Countershield to perfection (Same with Geodude), which is another weapon in Brocks arsenal, since he uses it both offensively as defensively.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
It seriously baffles me some people placed Kiawe above Brock (Who is the strongest male companion). Mega Steelix tanked a SE Z-Move against Turtonator (Who is by far Kiawe's strongest mon, especially since it went toe-to-toe with Gladions Lycanroc, who is arguably Gladions strongest mon) and didn't even seem remotely fazed by it either. Brock and Steelix have also mastered Countershield to perfection (Same with Geodude), which is another weapon in Brocks arsenal, since he uses it both offensively as defensively.

Mega steelix was fazed quite a LOT when it took that hit. Considering Kiawe's growth after that battle I'd say he would be able to take down Brock

Leonhart

Imagineer
DatsRight said:
Brionne's evolution was pretty rushed. Popplio's however I will give credit was long deserved.

I thought Primarina was one of the blandest of the SM Pokemon though, it didn't really have anything I'd consider a character arc. In fact, with the possible minor exceptions of Snowy and Shaymin (and even that one only if you count the whole reincarnation theory), none of the Pokemon of the SM females did. I suppose that didn't really help in terms of developing them, there was nothing to work on as a trainer.

I think Osyamari evolving quickly was puzzling, but the writers probably just wanted Suiren to have an Ashirene as soon as possible so that her competing at the Alola League would seem more justified. I was never fond of the Ashimari line to begin with, but the saving grace of the whole situation from my viewpoint is that at least Satoshi never had the Ashimari line.

Applecorp

I think context of the battle matters, it wasn't really a real battle. Serena with her sylveon Pancham and braixen are definitely better than bonnie and her dedenne

In theory sure but Serena never won a battle so it makes me wonder if Serena really is stronger than Bonnie.

I'm not defending Bonnie though because she wasn't a trainer so her beating Chespin was like beginner's luck not skill lol. Even when she was befriending Zygarde I never got the feeling that she was starting to become a trainer.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
In theory sure but Serena never won a battle so it makes me wonder if Serena really is stronger than Bonnie.

I'm not defending Bonnie though because she wasn't a trainer so her beating Chespin was like beginner's luck not skill lol. Even when she was befriending Zygarde I never got the feeling that she was starting to become a trainer.

I'm pretty sure Serena's mons are stronger then a dedenne cmon now

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I thought Primarina was one of the blandest of the SM Pokemon though, it didn't really have anything I'd consider a character arc. In fact, with the possible minor exceptions of Snowy and Shaymin (and even that one only if you count the whole reincarnation theory), none of the Pokemon of the SM females did. I suppose that didn't really help in terms of developing them, there was nothing to work on as a trainer.

Blandness aside Primarina was still the strongest out of the SuMo girls' Pokemon. Magearna could be stronger 'cause it's a mythical but since Lillie never used it it's hard to tell for sure.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Just because she befriended zygarde doesnt mean shes a trainer who uses it. Also bonnie didnt command zygarde to murder orange man if i remember, squishy was gonna do that anyway and bonnie was just cheering him on
I haven't seen the episode in a while but the quote I remember is "Squishy! Do it!!"

DatsRight

Kiawe fought Brock in the first season of SM, and Gladion in the final arc in the series. He'd clearly upgraded since then (hell he even learned a new move in that last match). Remember he had only just learned how to use Turtonator besides tank strategies prior to the Kanto arc. Also compare his first spar against Ash, where Pikachu runs rings around Turtonator, to their later ones, where they're both pretty much toe-to-toe (and in their final one where Dusk Lycanroc, who WON the league for Ash, still struggles against Charizard).

I could buy Steelix (especially in Mega form) would still have the power advantage, but I feel the odds would be more even by this point.

Last edited: