• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who do you guys think was the strongest companion?

Pokemonfan5

I think we need to make some differentiation between trainers who have proved to be strong through own means and those who happened to get strong Pokemon out of nowhere. I mean otherwise Bonnie would be tops easy for happening to care for the invincible Zygarde and just happening to give a command while it was cleaning house. I mean obviously every trainer gets some plot armour fixes, but there's a difference between those that were still capable without them and those that were more or less carried by them.

Like Ash got some powerful freebies in SM for example, but they made clear he was on the competence level to use them properly and had otherwise trained his other Pokemon for most of their boosts. He was able to use a Naganadel fluently against Tapu Koko and make it seem believable for example. It did take him a short while to get fluent with Melmetal however, though fair's fair, Melmetal and its signature abilities were more or less a new entry.

Meanwhile the point with Dawn and Iris was that they hadn't earned their prowess to use Mamoswine and Dragonite properly, and had to go through the progression to tame them. (On the other hand there's claims that they weren't as effectively used when they started obeying them.) Togekiss is a questionable 'blemish' however since you could say that, like Ash with Naganadel, Dawn was at the level to use it properly by then anyway. Ash had similar obidience issues with Charizard in the OS, when he was still a rookie and barely training, while Mallow through chance had a fully evolved battle queen and a mythical who were both obedient but barely knew how to use them.

Lana admittedly earned her Z Moves, Popplio's first evolution and Icy Wind, though the problem is more how to evaluate her skill level in the first place when she's had all of two proper battles. All we know is that she's far more advanced than Mallow but far less so than Guzma, which has a lot of middle ground.

Nobody count Squishy because Bonnie didn't catch it and done nothing as a trainer, like nobody count Nebby as Ash's Pokemon despite Ash done everything with Nebby which trainer do except catching him, like raising him to fully evolve to Solgaleo, use z move with him twice and command too.

Poipole had whole ultra Guardian season of his development and bonding with Ash's and his Alolan family (Alolan Mons+Kukui and Burnet), he only need to learn dragon pulse to evolved not experience, even than when Poipole comeback as Naganadel his lack of experience still shown in battle as he is still not as strong as other Ultra beasts, even Melmetal had good amount of battle experience and some great bonding moments with Rowlet and some with Ash before evolving both Poipole and Meltann take long time to develop than evolve, also there are sooo many Pokemons Ash got with very low or zero efforts like Krabby who had no experience and training suddenly beat a league trainer pokemon and evolve, Gliscor, Kalos dragons and more.

While Memoswine had zero development before he fully evolve from swinub-memoswine, Togekiss was directly handed over to Dawn, Misty got Gyarados from her sisters which she tame in just 1 episode than that's all about Gyarados, he only exist for battles nothing more than that. Iris Dragonite actually feel best of all as Iris need to gone through so much to earn the full trust of her Dragonite, compared to Misty and Dawn who just need to spend 1 Episode with their Pokemon to tame them.

Pokemonfan5

Easily Clemont

He easily defeated Pikachu lol
(Iris doesn't count, she had a big advantage, even snivy defeated Pikachu without electricity)

Clemont > Misty/May > Brock> Kiawe> Iris (Excadrill is at the same level than drayden haxorus) > Dawn

From here it's hard to choose

Cilan>Lana > Serena > Sophocles > Lillie

Viola also beat Pikachu with surskit, Pikachu was downgraded in that battle for Goodra to shine, both Luxray and Goodra had little to no battle experience, Goodra was going to release soon so they give him a important victory. Luxray was just handed over to Clemont for his gym battle with Ash like Dawn get Togekiss for GF final, luxray had nothing memorable after gym battle where Chespin and Bunnelby had so many great moments, the only difference is Luxray had great backstory with Clemont.

Also do you think Dawn's Piplup can beat legendaries too? Because Pikachu lost to Buizel which Dawn capture in same Episode with Piplup help despite Pikachu having type advantage and Piplup moves are weak to Buizel.

Last edited:
Nobody count Squishy because Bonnie didn't catch it and done nothing as a trainer, like nobody count Nebby as Ash's Pokemon despite Ash done everything with Nebby which trainer do except catching him, like raising him to fully evolve to Solgaleo, use z move with him twice and command too.

Poipole had whole ultra Guardian season of his development and bonding with Ash's and his Alolan family (Alolan Mons+Kukui and Burnet), he only need to learn dragon pulse to evolved not experience, even than when Poipole comeback as Naganadel his lack of experience still shown in battle as he is still not as strong as other Ultra beasts, even Melmetal had good amount of battle experience and some great bonding moments with Rowlet and some with Ash before evolving both Poipole and Meltann take long time to develop than evolve, also there are sooo many Pokemons Ash got with very low or zero efforts like Krabby who had no experience and training suddenly beat a league trainer pokemon and evolve, Gliscor, Kalos dragons and more.

While Memoswine had zero development before he fully evolve from swinub-memoswine, Togekiss was directly handed over to Dawn, Misty got Gyarados from her sisters which she tame in just 1 episode than that's all about Gyarados, he only exist for battles nothing more than that. Iris Dragonite actually feel best of all as Iris need to gone through so much to earn the full trust of her Dragonite, compared to Misty and Dawn who just need to spend 1 Episode with their Pokemon to tame them.
Well, in that case you're right, maybe I'm overrating Clemont. As everything is based on assumptions, the only thing we can assure is that Brock> Kiawe (Until Ep 50)

But still think Clemont is at the level of the other gym leaders, I think only iris can stand up to them, I had forgotten Dragonite LOL

Last edited:
My new top

Iris > Clemont = Brock = Misty >May=Kiawe= Cilan >Dawn> Lana > Serena> Sophocles > Zarala > Mallow> Lillie

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
Clemont stronger than Misty and Brock even though both of them have Pokemon that can mega evolve while Clemont's strongest Pokemon is just Luxray?

Not to mention all the other Pokemon that Kasumi and Takeshi have, many of which can put up a decent fight and most of which are arguably stronger than Citron's Horubee and Harimaron.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
My new top

Iris > Clemont = Brock = Misty >May=Kiawe= Cilan > Lana > Serena> Sophocles > Zarala > Mallow> Lillie

Where is Dawn?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

DatsRight

Not to mention all the other Pokemon that Kasumi and Takeshi have, many of which can put up a decent fight and most of which are arguably stronger than Citron's Horubee and Harimaron.

Truthfully Brock and Misty's abilities were pretty erratic, they suffered the Worf Effect just as much as Clemont in their original run while Misty recurrently relied on dumb luck with Psyduck and Togepi. They got better in their return appearances but that's because those tend to streamline focus onto them so they can shine properly.

Even Misty's Mega Gyarados only put up the same level fight as Bunnelby against Pikachu so I think it's kind of down the middle there.

Truthfully Brock and Misty's abilities were pretty erratic, they suffered the Worf Effect just as much as Clemont in their original run while Misty recurrently relied on dumb luck with Psyduck and Togepi. They got better in their return appearances but that's because those tend to streamline focus onto them so they can shine properly.

Even Misty's Mega Gyarados only put up the same level fight as Bunnelby against Pikachu so I think it's kind of down the middle there.
At this point the mega pokemon are not that impressive

DatsRight

At this point the mega pokemon are not that impressive

Yeah, I mean they're kind of 'last season' now, no doubt the Z Moves will get the same treatment and then Gigantamax when the next big gimmick comes, becoming a more moderated power boost instead of an elusive and unstoppable trump card they were when their debut games were being promoted.

I mean could you imagine Sabrina being as invincible now as she was in the OS when Psychic types were the aces?

SatoSereFan224888

Brock with Clemont a close second.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Naroot said:
We saw May take out evolved pokemon like Medicham, Grumpig, Cacturne, Jynx, Banette, Flygon, Absol, Venusaur, Ariados, Vibrava, Octillery, Wigglytuff, Scizor, Vileplume, etc.

Not to discredit Haruka entirely, but some of those Pokemon seemed like they were trained almost exclusively with Contests in mind, so one could argue that some of those weren't that strong since their trainers taught them moves and strategies that were better suited for Contest battles than regular battles. And Contest battles were typically less about strength and more about impressing the audience.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Not to discredit Haruka entirely, but some of those Pokemon seemed like they were trained almost exclusively with Contests in mind, so one could argue that some of those weren't that strong since their trainers taught them moves and strategies that were better suited for Contest battles than regular battles. And Contest battles were typically less about strength and more about impressing the audience.

I mean maybe in the case of some of the lower ranking coordinators but Drew, Solidad and the other strong ones had Pokemon that could battle well and not just in contests.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
I mean maybe in the case of some of the lower ranking coordinators but Drew, Solidad and the other strong ones had Pokemon that could battle well and not just in contests.

There are bond to be some exceptions, but for the most part I didn't get the feeling that certain AG saga Pokemon Coordinators such as Kimimaro, Eriko, Grace, Kanata, and Wakana were particularly impressive battlers who could be considered strong outside of Contests.