• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who do you guys think was the strongest companion?

DatsRight

I disagree about Citron. The only time he showed that he was an above average battler was during the Miare City Gym battle, and even then it seemed to me that he was only shown in that light to make the Gym match more intense. The writers weren't consistent enough with Citron's strength as a trainer after that point, so I don't think he was meant to be one of the strongest companions.

It says something when we were more liable to see Bunnelby get his ass brutally kicked by TEAM ROCKET than Pancham or Noibat even suffer a hit.

Then again, who suffers the Worf Effect more often than Ash's Pikachu? :p

Leonhart

Imagineer
DatsRight said:
It says something when we were more liable to see Bunnelby get his ass brutally kicked by TEAM ROCKET than Pancham or Noibat even suffer a hit.

Then again, who suffers the Worf Effect more often than Ash's Pikachu? :p

Was there a specific scenario where Horubee jobbed against the Rocket-dan trio's Pokemon? I can't remember much about Horubee's track record, although I do remember that he got beaten up to the point where he needed bandages in his capture flashback episode, although that didn't involve the Rocket-dan.

DatsRight

Was there a specific scenario where Horubee jobbed against the Rocket-dan trio's Pokemon? I can't remember much about Horubee's track record, although I do remember that he got beaten up to the point where he needed bandages in his capture flashback episode, although that didn't involve the Rocket-dan.

They KOed him three times I think. The one when TR's Pokemon equipped themselves with special power-up armour, the Tyrunt episode where he and Dedenne were left with Bonnie, and the one with the Quilladin that was attracted to Eevee. I think there was another one where TR decimated him and a couple other Pokemon while Pancham and Chespin were arguing. Poor guy could match Pikachu and yet couldn't catch a break even against the show's biggest jobbers. :p

giancor

Overall: Kiawe > Iris > Misty > Brock > May > Dawn > Clemont

If we count megas Misty and Brock would be at the top by default:
Misty (M Gyrados) > Brock (M Steelix)> Kiawe > Iris > May > Dawn > Clemont

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
For the female companions, I’d rank them:

May > Dawn > Iris > Misty > Lana > Serena > Lillie > Mallow.

You forgot Bonnie, who goes here:

May > Dawn > Bonnie > Iris > Misty > Lana > Serena > Lillie > Mallow

For males: Kiawe>Clemont>Brock>Cilan>Goh>Tracey>Max
For females
Iris>Misty>Dawn>Lana>May>Lillie>Serena>Mallow

You forgot Bonnie; however, your list is so trash that I can't even help you insert her into the correct location. did you even watch AG and SM lol? How is May lower than Lana? And that's just the most glaring issue.

May>Dawn>Misty>Iris>Serena>Lana>Lillie>Mallow>Bonnie (if we count her)

We do count her. Thank for you actually remembering her. However, you put her in the wrong place.

Leonhart

Imagineer
DatsRight said:
They KOed him three times I think. The one when TR's Pokemon equipped themselves with special power-up armour, the Tyrunt episode where he and Dedenne were left with Bonnie, and the one with the Quilladin that was attracted to Eevee. I think there was another one where TR decimated him and a couple other Pokemon while Pancham and Chespin were arguing. Poor guy could match Pikachu and yet couldn't catch a break even against the show's biggest jobbers. :p

Well in a way it's not so surprising since Citron barely trained Horubee [or his Pokemon in general]. Citron's just lucky that he was a Gym Leader that Satoshi had to face eventually, otherwise his battle record probably would've been just as bad as Serena's.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
for males is Brock > Kiawe > Clemont = CIlan > Tracey > Goh ( for now , need to see more battle from him )
for females is between Misty and Iris ( if she can handle dragonite she could be the strongest ) > May > Dawn > Lana > Lillie = Serena > Mallow

nickdt

Is that even a contest

Brock > Misty > Kiawe > Iris > Clemont > Lana > Dawn > Cilan > May > Sophocles > Bonnie > Serena > Mallow > Lillie > Tracey

I don't count Gou for obvious reason (Him not battling and this series not being over).

So i see we count Bonnie.

Why is nobody listing SOPHOCLESSSS!

Shuriken Throw

And yet people still complain about that, claiming May "held back" as she could've used Blaziken (or heck even Venusaur) and easily crush Dawn but she choose to use a freshly evolved pokemon, and Dawn didn't exactly beat Glaceon, she won via points and barely at that.

May was more about knocking out her opponents in contests (though this stemmed from her being influenced by Ash) where as Dawn wins came more from taking advantage of the point system more times than not.

I really can't make a call on this one personally.

Using Blaziken would of been a bad choice, since it is a fire-type. And using a fire-type against a water-type would of been terrible. Plus, Glaceon was one of May’s strongest Pokemon to use in that battle. Skitty barley beat any water-types during the Hoenn series, neither did Beautifly. So I guess that’s why May used Glaceon.

Did Hikari really beat Haruka's Glacia, though? I might be misremembering, but I thought that Hikari won the battle because her Pochama had more points left on his counter at the end of the match, not because Pochama had actually knocked Glacia out.

But that means Glaceon couldn’t knock many points off Piplup. And it didn’t knock out Piplup.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
You forgot Bonnie; however, your list is so trash that I can't even help you insert her into the correct location. did you even watch AG and SM lol? How is May lower than Lana? And that's just the most glaring issue.

Already discussed why I placed Lana above may in previous posts. Even if I place bonnie she would be dead last. Has shown no skill as a Pokémon trainer and only has a dedenne, heck isn't even a Pokémon trainer. Iris deserves to be on top of the list even if I don't like her character. Imo placing bonnie on a position anything other than last is a trash list

DatsRight

Lana gives shades of being a glass cannon really. ALL her battles were total curbstomps, for or against her favour, which gives the feeling she's good in situations she's dishing it all out and can avoid taking any hits back, but with an opponent that can counter her and land some powerful damage, she quickly falls.

I dunno, it's hard to really rate the later girls. They don't seem to like them being in violent battles anymore (or at least ones where the violence is two way). There's a weird pattern now that the girls only ever suffer ONE official KO their entire run, otherwise their battles are usually toned down or interrupted before their opponent can do much damage to them. Even the best battlers need losses to measure their durability, hence it being easier to rate the earlier companions that had a more readable record of wins and losses, even the ones that didn't battle much.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Shuriken Throw said:
But that means Glaceon couldn’t knock many points off Piplup. And it didn’t knock out Piplup.

I suppose, I just found the wording strange since Pochama won the battle on a technicality rather than by beating Glacia. I always had a problem with those Contest counters though, because they didn't just count damage.

SerenaRulez

Already discussed why I placed Lana above may in previous posts. Even if I place bonnie she would be dead last. Has shown no skill as a Pokémon trainer and only has a dedenne, heck isn't even a Pokémon trainer. Iris deserves to be on top of the list even if I don't like her character. Imo placing bonnie on a position anything other than last is a trash list

But Bonnie won a battle unlike Serena so shouldn't Bonnie be higher than Serena based on that alone? Or are we only counting major battles and not practice battles against other cast members? :(

Leonhart

Imagineer
SerenaRulez said:
But Bonnie won a battle unlike Serena so shouldn't Bonnie be higher than Serena based on that alone? Or are we only counting major battles and not practice battles against other cast members? :(

I think most viewers consider practice battles and gag battles to be meaningless as far as battle records go, and in the case of Eureka and Dedenne winning against Citron's Harimaron, that battle was essentially a joke.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Kiawe>Brock>Cilan>Clemont>Sophocles>Tracey>Goh>Max

Lillie>Dawn>Iris>May>Misty>Serena>Chloe>Lana>Mallow>Bonnie

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
janejane6178 said:
How can someone claim Lana is stronger than May or Dawn? She has 2 Pokemon and barely battles....

While I don't think that Suiren was stronger than Haruka or Hikari, she was arguably the strongest female companion in the SM cast. Mao and Lilie was weaker than her by far, and at least Suiren had Ashirene which was well-developed compared to Mao's Amajo and Lilie's Shiron.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
How can someone claim Lana is stronger than May or Dawn? She has 2 Pokemon and barely battles....
If we take account of her skills outside of Pokemon, Lana is more physically fit and responsible than May or Dawn, having to deal with 2 troublemaking little sisters. So in a way, I do think Lana's stronger than May or Dawn, same with Brock from his backstory back in OS. And she battles pretty well, despite from a series where the boys are hogging the spotlights when it's about battles which isn't her fault.

Last edited:

DatsRight

While I don't think that Suiren was stronger than Haruka or Hikari, she was arguably the strongest female companion in the SM cast. Mao and Lilie was weaker than her by far, and at least Suiren had Ashirene which was well-developed compared to Mao's Amajo and Lilie's Shiron.

Brionne's evolution was pretty rushed. Popplio's however I will give credit was long deserved.

I thought Primarina was one of the blandest of the SM Pokemon though, it didn't really have anything I'd consider a character arc. In fact, with the possible minor exceptions of Snowy and Shaymin (and even that one only if you count the whole reincarnation theory), none of the Pokemon of the SM females did. I suppose that didn't really help in terms of developing them, there was nothing to work on as a trainer.