1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest
    As I'm sure you're well aware, sites aren't free to run and so we run leaderboard adverts to fund the site. These ads are often specific game ones run by Sega etc.
    To make sure we get relevant ads as much as possible, could you fill out this survey my ad network is running? It's 100% anonymous and will just help us keep relevant ads on the site
    https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8GL2ZTK
    It's open til April 3rd
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Who do you think is the least-interesting villain of Pokemon Adventures?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Manga Discussion' started by shoz999, Apr 13, 2019.

1. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

So the fan-base's general opinion of Red appears to be that he isn't really a boring character. Far from it actually. I have seen fans here in the forums praise Red as an interesting character in many aspects but it's not until he's compared to other far more interesting characters that he becomes the boring character. I've seen a few fans here and there on Serebii carelessly think that the majority of the fanbase views Red as just simply a boring character when in actuality the accurate term is least-interesting which I feel like a lot of people forget means the least of all the characters, as in by comparison Red is the least-interesting.

In the same aspect for this thread, I think most fans here love most, if not all the Adventures takes of the villains. Pokemon Adventures doesn't just show it's take on the villains dastardly plans or the dastardly actions. They show them who they are as a human being and what they believe in, what they fight for. It's why we think Ghetsis is just pure scum as a human being or that Cyrus is surprisingly probably the most human character of the entire Pokemon series or that if any of us magically appeared in the Pokemon world as an 11-year old who loved Pokemon but felt what the world was offering just wasn't enough, especially for competitive fans, or that your own Adventures took something precious away from you that you may end up as Giovanni, Lance or the Mask of Ice who were all once kids who loved Pokemon no different from Red or any of the other heroes that love Pokemon.

So with that being said, Pokemon Adventures has no shortage of interesting villains, many of which who drive and motivate the hero's story. So I think it will be a fairly difficult choice for some of you on who the least-interesting villain of Pokemon Adventures is.

2. Zhydra

Zhydra Master of Chaos!

At the moment, the least interesting would be Archie, Maxie and Guzma.

Archie and Maxie due to how they got turned into complete psychos when their game counterparts are NOT like this. In the games, they were dummies that thought they were doing good... but their actions nearly destroyed the world.

Guzma is a similar case, while Kusaka didn't sugar coat that he is a violent gangster that was driven to that stage by society, it seems that it is the only character trait he bothered keeping in... was the violent thug.

In the games, he had some care for his grunts, despite implications that he keeps them in line through intimidation. Here... he didn't care that the Beasts he let loose were a danger to his grunts and just wanted destruction. Taking dark traits from certain characters and making them darker for the sake of being darker... it kind of turns people off if they cared about them.

Here is hope that the anime does him better than the Manga. (USUM gives him a pretty good redemption scene for us while SM had Guzma learn what fear is.)

3. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

I disagree with what you say about Archie and Maxie not being like their game counterparts. If anything they are like their game counterparts and they are not in the same way of Adventures protagonists are adapted from the games. What I'm saying is that Maxie and Archie of the Ruby & Sapphire games are clean slates, generic bad guys who never revealed why they wanted to expand the lands or seas and therefore can be open to a variety of different interpretations. The part where you said them thinking they were doing good is but a new addition that some felt was a little forced from the ORAS remakes. Maxie and Archie never revealed their motives behind the expansion of land or sea in the original games. They simply just wanted it to happen. In fact if you think about it, in Pokemon Adventures Emerald, what Archie said of simply longing for the seas is quite accurate to the original portrayal of Archie & Maxie. They just wanted it, only in Pokemon Adventures it feels much more complete in the sense of pursuing power. Now if were talking about the ORAS portrayal of attempting to humanize Archie & Maxie, I can see what your getting at but in terms of the original Ruby & Sapphire, the portrayals of Maxie and Archie are faithful to an extant.

Now as for Guzma, that's an entirely different story for me. I think he's a good character... it's just we haven't seen a lot of him, too little in fact. The thing is this can be made up for through the Team Skull grunts. Some time ago I made a thread of what the anime could learn from Pokemon Adventures in terms of villains. One of those is how the grunts aren't just simple stock characters, they are representative of how the organization acts and thinks, of their leader's presence acting behind-the-scenes. For the most part Pokemon Adventures has been able to do this in a very compelling way until Gen 7 with Team Skull. You'd think Pokemon Adventures would take advantage of the fact that the Team Skull grunts are just brimming with personality in the games but no. The last time I remember the Team Skull grunts before Po Town was actually the very first island. Actually come to think of it I don't recall if Plumeria did much of anything. Plumeria is basically Team Skull's second-in-command and is also important in representing Team Skull and Guzma's presence as the boss himself. You don't really feel Guzma's presence, making these different decisions off-screen or his own personality through Team Skull because of the strong lack of on-screen appearances and actions of the Team Skull grunts. That's what made Giovanni such a hyped-up villain because the main character felt like he knew him through his grunts, his organization even though he never met the guy as the Leader of Team Rocket. Not here, there is a severe lack of Team Skull presence in this chapter. So for me personally, Guzma is probably the least-interesting villain and that is just such a great shame.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  4. ellifeedn

ellifeedn Thinker

I think that Team Flare might be the least interesting team in Adventures. Their persistent presence, while threatening at first, becomes rather exhausting after a while and it's not helped by having only a few characters display any... well character. And they don't have the excuse Team Galactic had with the mind controlled grunts.

5. lolipiece

lolipiece Me during high school Staff Member Moderator

It was outright stated in his first battle with Sun that Guzma isn't exactly what he seems, given that despite his thuggish nature, he used strategy to defeat Sun's supereffective Litten instead of pure brute strength.

And Hau's mention of his backstory, and Plumeria's flashback he mentioned that he didn'

6. Zhydra

Zhydra Master of Chaos!

I am aware, it still didn't change the fact that he was perfectly okay with letting his grunts get put into danger, content with destruction and being a bleeping psycho!

That is when I meant by a violent thug, not a dumb thug. He knows how to beat people up, how to break things and he is content to keep on doing it. I know something drove him to that state and that he was taken advantage of... but this was something he did with glee!

7. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

I think Team Flare is pretty interesting in terms of their relationship to their leader and his ideals. You got some Team Flare members who just want their talents to be recognized like Xerosic, some Team Flare grunts who just do it for the money, some Team Flare members who do believe in Lysandre's leadership and vision for the future believing themselves to be special regardless if their talents are recognized or they paid an outrageous fee and then there's Malva. In both the games and the anime, Malva's role as a member of Team Flare feels so late and underused, especially in the anime where she changes sides. Because of that she still feels more like an Elite Four member than a Team Flare member. Then you have the manga's depiction of Malva who feels more like a Team Flare member and an member of the Elite Four. Even the scientists were a tad bit interesting then there other counterparts, just a tad though. They still feel like basic more stronger grunts in a lot of ways but overall I liked how members of Team Flare represented Lysandre's ideals in both an honest and hypocritical fashion.

I don't think he necessarily did it with glee. It seems more like that "gleeful" smile is just an act in that he just gave up on himself, that he's kind of disappointed in himself of how things have gone, tired of the same antics that's getting him to nowhere and that the person he trusts the most may not even care for him. Just a hunch by his other faces he's been making.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 2:03 AM
  8. diakyu

diakyu Well-Known Member

Honestly, I've always thought it was Archie or Maxie, maybe Maxie purely because Archie becomes Guile Hideout. I think Ruby likely has one of the best arcs of any of the male main characters but man where the villains in that saga a big meh for me.

9. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

I personally think Archie and Maxie are awesome villains but they are awesome villains together. Separated, Maxie honestly really is the weaker villain which is ironic because his villainous organization had some of the most memorable underlings of the entire Pokemon series, at least for me. It's the reverse for Archie where although I think he's an awesome villain who becomes even ten times more intimidating when he loses everything but his underlings just aren't as memorable as Team Magma with the exception of Amber.