• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who do you think is the main antagonist?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I'm going to make my own uneducated guess.

The villain is someone using Marnie's clout in order to fuel his own nefarious deeds in getting the wolf legendary.

Paraqua

Beginning Trainer
Maybe your in-game mother is the main antagonist xD

But all joking aside, I think there's a good chance that Professor Magnolia is the main antagonist instead of Chairman Rose. My reason for this is because in the previous games, it was the regional professor who gives the "Welcome to the World of Pokémon" speech before you play the game, but according the the reviews given so far, it's Chairman Rose being the one giving that speech.

I find it a bit suspicious that Professor Magnolia is not the first character you meet as you start the game.

Julia Artemis

Magnolia does have some Baba Yaga vibes going on so that's possible and for the pokemon professor to be at least one of the villains would be an interesting twist. I remember first playing Diamond and wondering if Rowan was actually working with Cyrus

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Magnolia does have some Baba Yaga vibes going on so that's possible and for the pokemon professor to be at least one of the villains would be an interesting twist. I remember first playing Diamond and wondering if Rowan was actually working with Cyrus
Having her grandoughter (forgot her name) being the main villian or related to him/her would be amazing....

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I think that Raihan is the leader of Team Yell, but he isn't the main villain of the game.

D*N

Musical Star
At this point, it kinda has to be Rose or Oleanna. I think the plot is about the league system being corrupt and the only two characters who have enough power to really successfully corrupt it are those two at the moment.

Team Yell is just going to be the new team Skull, although I think they will be on the opposite side of the real big bad this time with them fighting against the corruption, just not in a good way.

Bede is just gonna be a jerk who might sympathize the big bad. Kinda like Malfoy in the Harry Potter series. He's not gonna be the big bad himself tho.

If they are going for a real twist, Magnolia would be somewhat of a possibility. Her bird cane could be some Jafar cane ****. If this was the way they were going I think Rose and/or Oleanna also still needs to be a bad person.

Last edited:

catzeye

Writer's Block
I'm going to go for Oleana as the chief antagonist, with Rose and Team Yell being minor.

On the Pokemon Facebook page it was mentioned that she was the one who created the Dynamax band that allowed the Galar league to be famous. It's a good set up for an "unappreciated scientist goes rogue" if she gets tired of Rose's antics and kicking off the legendary plot.

Rose gives me Mr. Krabs vibes in that he's not blatantly evil, but his actions definitely come off as antagonistic due to some insatiable love of money. Like I see him endorsing Leon (who may have come from a not so priviliged background) giving him an initial underdog that's easy to root for due to his likeable personality. I could see him being paid off by an aristocratic group to endorse Bede (and eventually give him the crown), and not caring so much of the impact that would have on Leon.

I know Team Yell looks like a red herring, but I'm actually betting that they might be a more dangerous than we are thinking. I can see a plot where there antics go too far on a couple of occasions which would have to force Marnie to take more of a stand or risk not being able to complete her goal due to all of the negative publicity surrounding her. It would very much be an interesting story about how to use your fame correctly.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Oleana as the 'Plumeria', while the main antagonist is an unrevealed character. Since they emphasize on discovery a lot, I better find it out myself in game.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Whoever it is, I hope it's a good enough twist that makes everyone go... NANI!?

tenor.gif

Seriously though. As funny as this meme is, I hope one day tons of fans get this kind of reaction from a Pokemon game lol and what better way than a villain's identity being revealed! It's these kinds of reactions that stories invoke that make them even more memorable.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

tenor.gif

Seriously though. As funny as this meme is, I hope one day tons of fans get this kind of reaction from a Pokemon game lol and what better way than a villain's identity being revealed! It's these kinds of reactions that stories invoke that make them even more memorable.

Most players had that reaction back in Gen 1 with Giovanni being revealed as the final gym leader and Blue as Champion.

I sadly wasn't one of them. Silver was my first game. :(

Anyhoo, I'm hoping we get a nice shock in the story this time around. Lusamine being a villain was obvious the moment she was revealed. The only real shock was finding out how incredibly insane she was.

captainfez3

The Chill Trainer
Chairman Rose all the way. I could see it being a thing where Rose has a deal with Leon to help him remain the champ, which is why he is undefeated, for his endorsement of Rose's business. He is after the wolf legendary to help Leon become untouchable or something. That, or the usual over the top end of the world secret plan that brings Leon around and you all team up against him at the end.

Ultra Beast Lover

Most players had that reaction back in Gen 1 with Giovanni being revealed as the final gym leader and Blue as Champion.

I sadly wasn't one of them. Silver was my first game. :(

Anyhoo, I'm hoping we get a nice shock in the story this time around. Lusamine being a villain was obvious the moment she was revealed. The only real shock was finding out how incredibly insane she was.
Lance was my personal "Nani" moment, dunno how because I think that by the time I got there the Hoenn episode with him in it had aired, then again I thought it was Harrison in that episode so...

Hopefully it'll be a surprise, hopefully we don't have a character randomly monologue or say something only a villain would say

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Lance was my personal "Nani" moment, dunno how because I think that by the time I got there the Hoenn episode with him in it had aired, then again I thought it was Harrison in that episode so...

Didn't Lance first appear in the Hoenn anime in 2005 (US air)?

I take it you played Gold & Silver rather late?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Bede is just gonna be a jerk who might sympathize the big bad. Kinda like Malfoy in the Harry Potter series. He's not gonna be the big bad himself tho.

Japanese media rarely ever depicts the jerk character as remaining a jerk though. I have a hunch Bede will soften up as the game goes on, namely that he'll encounter problems created by his bad attitude and/or problems he cannot solve on his own, and he'll have to learn to be nicer and swallow his pride. (Being proud is really looked down upon in Japanese culture, which is why so many bad guys in anime, manga, and Japanese video games have a cocky attitude.) Generally, they'll remain abrasive and irritable, but they'll engage in teeth-clenched teamwork with the heroes when the real villains attack.

Rose gives me Mr. Krabs vibes in that he's not blatantly evil, but his actions definitely come off as antagonistic due to some insatiable love of money. Like I see him endorsing Leon (who may have come from a not so priviliged background) giving him an initial underdog that's easy to root for due to his likeable personality. I could see him being paid off by an aristocratic group to endorse Bede (and eventually give him the crown), and not caring so much of the impact that would have on Leon.

Hope is Leon's brother, so they're likely to come from the same socioeconomic background. Do we know how it is for Hop?

tenor.gif

The villain is the player character him/herself. They start out on their journey pretending to be new to Pokémon when they're actually the leader of a villainous team in hiding who intentionally had their memories wiped so as to not look suspicious. Their goal is to become the Champion, but do it legitimately, then use the position's power to take over the region and control the big superweapon in the middle.

And hey, we've had some crazy reveals in other stories. In Sonic and the Black Knight, it was the tutorial character. One episode of Outlaw Star had the antagonist be a potted cactus on a countertop. And then there's the shifty-eyed dog in The Simpsons...

Julia Artemis

Hasn't there been a lot of talk about Eternatus being the big bad. Maybe that's too similar to Necrozma but at the same time I could see them doing this again. I have a feeling that Zacian and Zamazenta actually come from the same pokemon except in one version uses a sword and another version uses a shield. Kind of like Cosmog in a way but significantly cooler and more interesting

D*N

Musical Star
Japanese media rarely ever depicts the jerk character as remaining a jerk though. I have a hunch Bede will soften up as the game goes on, namely that he'll encounter problems created by his bad attitude and/or problems he cannot solve on his own, and he'll have to learn to be nicer and swallow his pride. (Being proud is really looked down upon in Japanese culture, which is why so many bad guys in anime, manga, and Japanese video games have a cocky attitude.) Generally, they'll remain abrasive and irritable, but they'll engage in teeth-clenched teamwork with the heroes when the real villains attack.

Uhm I didn't even say anything about whether I think Bede would be redeemed or not but ok.

But I agree with that like they even redeemed Silver, which is the jerkiest of jerk rivals.

DannyDark

Regarding antagonistic rivals, I think I wouldn't mind them becoming somewhat good as long as it doesn't become a group endeavor, as in I don't really want a large group of friends with half-baked personalities like in XY.

Hugh was honestly quite a good balance of valuing strength, respect for the protagonist and edgelord... I wonder if he can be considered an anti-hero with his hate-fueled outlook during the initial stages of the game?

Brendan017

I think the main villain will be a yet unknown character too. I think Rose being at the beginning of the game instead of the professor would make him being a villáin weird, and Oleanna doesnt seen like a leader type. Magnolia would be interesting but she is not really a leading type either.