1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Who do you think will be the Game Director of Gen 8?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation 8 Discussion' started by shoz999, Nov 6, 2018.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Master of Disguise!

So for those who don't know, Pokemon has mainly two directors on board. The first was Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of Pokemon. He handed this job to Junichi Masuda. As of recently, Junichi Masuda in an interview stated that he might, key word MIGHT, stop being director after Let's Go Pikachu. That's quite heavy for Pokemon fans that Junichi Masuda, who has been responsible for a lot of Pokemon's innovations, might pass on the role to someone else. It's also somewhat of a hint that Gen 8 may not be directed by him. On the other hand though, game directors stating their intentions at all that they 100% intend a particular game to be their last game does not always hold true. In fact, it's surprisingly common for game directors to go back on their word and work on the next installment with passion and creativity. A great example is Hideo Koijima of the Metal Gear Series. Hideo Koijima originally planned to stop working on the Metal Gear series at Metal Gear 3. He then worked on Metal Gear 4 and stated that it would be his last game. Only for him to return to Metal Gear 5 and say the exact same thing. So even if Junichi Masuda says he 100% intends to leave instead of might, you can't always take it as a 100% going to happen. On the other hand, Junichi Masuda has expressed how tired he is of attempting to always appeal to the ever changing Pokemon fanbase while advancing the Pokemon games on a technical level during interviews. He has even stated that this is literally partly the reason why we don't see sequels to favorite spinoffs that often like Pokemon Snap.

So I guess the next question is who will direct future installments if Junichi Masuda decides to take a break from the Pokemon series? A lot of signs are pointing to Shigeru Ohmori. For those who don't know, he is the man behind the Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire remakes, which I think he did a stellar job despite the lack of a Battle Frontier. After that, he was given a chance to work on an original main series title, Pokemon Sun and Moon which is hailed by fans as one of the greatest Pokemon games ever made and also holds the darkest and most emotional-depth story line ever in the Pokemon series. Other than that, there's really not a lot of other people that come to mind and this is only a what-if possibility as Junichi Masuda only stated he might stop being the director after Let's Go Pikachu.

Overall, who do you think will be the Game Director of Gen 8, the person who oversees much of the creativity on both a technical, story-telling and world-building level?

2. Ducolamia

Ducolamia SAYYYY WHAT???

I assume Ohmori since he was pretty successful with S/M. I actually do like some of the design choices he made and from what he saw Masuda was preparing him to be his pupil, so I'm curious for another region he makes. Hopefully something colder. As for level design, they could do way better now that they're on a console so I believe they can expand dungeons more.

That being said, I love the mons designed for 7th gen, but I want more of them.

PocketMonsterRealm likes this.
  3. Cradily17

Cradily17 Well-Known Member

I think Ohmori will return as well. I just hope we finally get the option to skip cutscenes and dialogue this time, as well as less handholding.

4. Nodame

Nodame Cute Pokemon only

Who is the responsible with the design of new Pokémon ?

5. Dragalge

Dragalge Boltrom

Usually it's Ken Sugimori but a few other artists have partaken in designing the new Pokemon iirc since Gen V with James Turner.

6. shoz999

GameFreak employs tons of concept artist that make Pokemon based on the region's environment or theme, animals, concept or objects that haven't become Pokemon before, or are specifically built around gameplay mechanics. After that, I believe they give it to the game director and he makes the final decision whether they get approved or not.

7. Nodame

Nodame Cute Pokemon only

I see. I don't think Turner does good designs, he better not waste Gen 8 slots. Poiple was cute though.

8. Prof. SALTY

Prof. SALTY The Scruffy Professor

I'm pretty happy with all his designs honestly.

I also think Ohmori will direct. I'm looking forward to seeing what gen 8 will bring

9. Nodame

Nodame Cute Pokemon only

Me too. I think Ohmori makes the best stories, so looking forward to that. I hope Gyms are back.

10. Prof. SALTY

Prof. SALTY The Scruffy Professor

Yeah gyms coming back would be nice. At least give us badges instead of stupid identical crystals.

11. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

Nodame likes this.
  12. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Well-Known Member

Nope.

It has been a whole bunch of people ever since Gen 1. For example https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Atsuko_Nishida

13. shoz999

Actually I've looked around and I've noticed a trend of GameFreak picking all sorts of different Game Directors for the expansions whereas main series and remake games are much more consistent with people like Satoshi or Junichi taking over the role of Game Director in order to set the boundaries for those generations.

14. bobandbill

bobandbill Winning Smile Staff Member Super Mod

I would like to see Morimoto at the helm, although given he directed Emerald and HGSS he may not be given a new generation headliner set. He's got a good track record at any rate imo, and I want to see someone with the philosophy of "add as much content as possible" directing Pokemon games again, rather than stripping away aspects.

shoz999 likes this.
  15. UltimateNinja

UltimateNinja Master of Ninjutsu

Ohmori most likely but I think only with Masuda advising him so just like with SM. Back then I thought he wasn't ready to direct a whole new generation, but he probably learned from the mistakes in both ORAS and SM.

16. Stygian

Stygian Active Member

Ohmori, hopefully without Masuda still heavily influencing decisions this time