• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who Gets To Keep Togepi? (050)

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
So Ash got his Pokedex upgraded just in time to discover Togepi. I liked how Brock and Misty imagined what the egg would hatch into, and I was glad that Misty ended up with Togepi even tho she lost hee hee. :3

Opal Pikachu13

Was pretty funny on what the group thought on what the egg would be, I mean really, a Tentacruel or a Golem? xD Meowth's interactions with the egg was funny too. And like everyone else who said that Ash should have had Togepi and not Misty, I think it would've been better that way. Ash DID find it and not Misty, and Togepi didn't even do much of anything under Misty's care, and when it evolved it just left to guard other Togepis at that Kingdom in the Advanced season.. nothing more.

7/10.

Leonhart

Imagineer
And like everyone else who said that Ash should have had Togepi and not Misty, I think it would've been better that way. Ash DID find it and not Misty, and Togepi didn't even do much of anything under Misty's care

Yes Satoshi found the egg, but even if he had kept Togepy, I think he would've handled it the same way Kasumi did (i.e. babying it and not letting it get involved in battles).

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Omg, my fave episode! I liked seeing Meowth being motherly for a change. I do think Misty was the best candidate to take care of Togepi though. Between Togepi and the Ho-Oh appearance in the first episode, it was obvious they were going to bring out a lot more Johto Pokemon into the show.~

Leonhart

Imagineer
Between Togepi and the Ho-Oh appearance in the first episode, it was obvious they were going to bring out a lot more Johto Pokemon into the show.~

While true, I felt that such a momentous occasion such as the first proper 2nd Generation species debut in this episode was handled rather tepidly. Togepy was introduced with little fanfare now that I think about it.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Hee hee well mostly I found it unsettling that he wanted to eat Togepi's egg before it hatched. I mean it was a Pokemon egg, so I guess that confirms that some humans in the anime eat Pokemon?

IIRC, this episode also showed a fast food restaurant that sold Magikarp meat, so yeah, humans apparently do eat Pokemon. :(

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
IIRC, this episode also showed a fast food restaurant that sold Magikarp meat, so yeah, humans apparently do eat Pokemon. :(

I do remember seeing that restaurant at the beginning of the episode before Jessie, James and Meowth showed up with those egg baskets, tho I assumed the Magikarp logo was for decorative purposes. ^^;

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I do remember seeing that restaurant at the beginning of the episode before Jessie, James and Meowth showed up with those egg baskets, tho I assumed the Magikarp logo was for decorative purposes. ^^;

Speaking of TR, I don't know what their whole Dutch egg salesmen act was about. Like, it was their most random themed scheme in all of Kanto IMO...

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Speaking of TR, I don't know what their whole Dutch egg salesmen act was about. Like, it was their most random themed scheme in all of Kanto IMO...

Team Rocket's disguises were apparently based on some old Japanese song called 'The Minnesota Egg Seller', so fans of the English dub probably had no idea what that was about. Even I didn't know until I read that on Dogasu's Backpack a while back.

Leonhart

Imagineer

Since we had previously found out that Koiking have very little edible meat on them, it's far more likely that the restaurant here was Koiking themed, but didn't actually serve Koiking as food. Kojirou implying that they should consume Togepy's egg was unnerving, though. The Rocket-dan already had food anyway.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Meowth being like Togepi's adoptive mother was sweet and all, but he totally cheated when he fought Onix and used water buckets. So he deserved his loss against Pikachu.

Vipsoccermaster

Funny episode. Ash and friends should probably have done more research about egg hatching because usually the first thing a newborn sees is its mother/father. If they knew about that, then the tournament wouldn't have been required as Togepi has already chosen Misty, which was the first thing it saw.

DatsRight

Meowth being like Togepi's adoptive mother was sweet and all, but he totally cheated when he fought Onix and used water buckets. So he deserved his loss against Pikachu.

Didn't Ash and Pikachu technically do the same against Onix in their gym battle?

DatsRight

Sort of, but that was by accident. Ash didn't mean to kick off the sprinklers.

He had no qualms taking advantage of it before Brock's siblings got in the way though.

Then we have stuff like Pikachu lodging Aegislash's blades with a chip of wood.

Along with the fact only Brock moaned about Meowth cheating (better fighting him than Onix I suppose), where exactly is the line between resourceful and pragmatic with environment, and just plain cheating (besides if you're the designated bad guy)?

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I did kind of think that the whole tournament segment was contrived in hindsight, because we had seen so many mini tournaments already, and Togepy clearly liked Kasumi from the start.

I'll say this now: Misty didn't deserve Togepi. She usurped it from Ash who found the egg and then he won it fairly too. Even Brock usurped it which made me angry. Ash got ripped off.