• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who has actually encoutered a shiny pokemon asides the freebies in games?

Xynno

I'm a bit curious now, since it would be rather dumb to ask this question in the shiny thread. Who has never actually encountered/caught/breeded a shiny pokemon in their pokemon career. (aside those freebie shinies like the shiny haxorus or gyarados.)

<----- This person right here. I have NEVER encountered a shiny aside the freebies, ever since they were introduced in the original gold and silver. Its like 10 -12 years of never encountering a shiny.

Last edited:

Lorenzo The Comic

Pokémon Maniac
Well... I managed to encounter a few Shiny Pokémon in Generations III and IV such as Spinda and Elektrike, but I still have yet to encounter a legit shiny in any Generation V game or even successfully breed a Shiny Pokémon.

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
I actually encountered in every Gen a shiny, (except in gen 1.)

Rakurai

I found a Gloom in Emerald and an Aron while I was trying to Pokeradar chain for one in Diamond.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
Never seen one, couldn't care less if if I did see one.

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
People should finish their games first before even worrying about shiny Pokémon, their like collectible items for people that already completed the games. Hell, if you find one while completing the game you should be lucky. I encountered 2 shiny Carvana's while searching for a Feebas. (2 Different cartridges though.)

Charoshi

Charmander is best
I hadn't found one since LG, where I had one Caterpie. I found tons in Silver though.

That was until a week or so ago, where I hatched a shiny Aipom and a shiny Charmander <3

landshaymin

Follow my lead.
I've only seen shiny Pokémon through random encounters. Maybe 6 or 7. And on each cartridge only 1. But I've lost half of them through accidentally resetting. :-( My last shiny is a Klink on W2.

Buuz

Smash Trainer
Coincidentally, i made a list two days ago. It's not very long but i am pretty happy about finding them. They're all random encounters:

1) Spearow, on firered
2) Geodude, on diamond
3) Gastly, on platinum
4) Spearow, on soulsilver
5) Buneary, on black 2 (this happened last sunday)

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
I encountered a shiny Goldeen in Crystal and shiny Bidoof and Psyduck in Platinum. Unfortunately, I don't have them anymore.

- Shiny Whismur on Emerald
- Shiny Elektrike on Sapphire
- Shiny Oddish
- Shiny Paras on LG
- Shiny Spearow on LG (about ten minutes after Paras)
- Shiny Sharpedo on Emerald
- Shiny Ralts on Emerald (Wally's Ralts)
- Shiny Zigzagoon on Sapphire
- Shiny Wailmer on Sapphire
- Shiny Graveler on Diamond
- shitload of shiny Magnemite/Shinx on Diamond (chaining)
- Shiny Gastly on Diamond
- Shiny Budew on Platinum
- Shiny Medicham on Platinum
- Shiny Patrat on White
- Shiny Elgyem on White

Last edited:

Trainer10913

The Ninja
I found a Gloom in Emerald and an Aron while I was trying to Pokeradar chain for one in Diamond.

I also caught a shiny Gloom but in Pokemon Diamond. Didn't have a clue what it was back then but caught it anyway. And I have to say, I'm glad I did!

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I've seen a ton of random shinies.

Onix in Crystal
Squirtle and Zubat in FireRed
Wurmple and Electrike in Emerald
Geodude, Hippowdon, and Beautifly in Pearl
Gyarados in Platinum (this is the only one I failed to catch, though)
Geodude, Chinchou, Drowzee, and Suicune in SoulSilver
Solrock in Black

And I might be missing a few from that list.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
I've been lucky enough to encounter ten random wild shinies since Gen 3, of which I have caught six.

Seedot in Ruby (caught, now a Nuzleaf)
Camerupt in Diamond (knocked out)
Geodude in Diamond (Selfdestructed)
Tentacool in SoulSilver (caught)
Sandile in Japanese Black (caught, now a Krookodile)
Timburr in Japanese Black (knocked out with aforementioned Sandile, ironically)
Golduck in American Black (caught)
Terrakion in White (caught)
Terrakion in Japanese Black (didn't catch, and yes, I really have seen two of these guys)
Onix in Platinum (caught, now a Steelix)

I also have the shiny event Legendary Beasts, Pikachu-colored Pichu, Red Gyarados, and a Cleffa from the Odd Egg in Crystal. There's also the shiny Kecleon some guy gave me for my Deoxys way back when... Yeah, that was stupid. >.<

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
My first copy of Diamond was shiny crazy. encountered 4 shinys in one play through. Unfortunately I traded it in for something else and quit playing for a while. Only other shiny I've caught in Gen 4 was a lucky shiny Bibarel in Great Marsh in Platinum. I also got a shiny Liepard out of White and a Boldore (now Gigalith) out of black.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
In terms of REs, I've seen a Wurmple on Ruby, a Gastly on Pearl, and a Tentacruel and a Raticate on Platinum.

So, you know.

Aegon

Excluding RNGs, I've encountered two in Platinum (Electabuzz and Meditite), three in White (two Garbodor and a MM Totodile) and one in Black 2 (Roggenrola).