• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who has actually encoutered a shiny pokemon asides the freebies in games?

Rebel562

Odd Teambuilder
My first shiny ever: Golbat in LeafGreen. Ran from it because I thought my game glitched.
My second shiny ever: Oddish in Pearl. Forgot about it and deleted the file.
I've encountered a third, but I can't remember what Pokemon or what game it was. I don't have it anymore, obviously.

SuperPichu

Pokémon!
I have encountered a Shiny Weavile as a Sneasel on Diamond(my first one), a Shiny Walrein when it was a Sealeo on White (my fourth one) and 2[/s] Shiny Ponyta in SoulSilver (My second and third ones)(Both outside Mt. Silver)! 8D
All Random Encounters and Sealeo and the 2 Shiny Ponyta were both encountered while I was training.

Lluc

Not a Very Well-Known Member
In Pokemon Black I found a shiny Gothorite in Route 9. I didn't care for shiny Pokemon since they are just Pokemon with different colors so I killed it. I also found a shiny Joltik in Chargestone Cave, same story as Gothorita.

Arlo

...and so on...
I'm pretty sure I caught at least one shiny on each of the Gen III games, and two on Emerald, but I haven't caught one since - none on DPPT, none on HG/SS and none on White (haven't played Black or either of the 2s yet).

I blame it on the DS...

Ropav

Howls of Loneliness
A golbat on emerald but Besides that I have seen nothing.

just mew

my first shiny was hoothoot in gold. thinking it was a glitch, i ran away :s
in also saw caterpie , poochyena and zigzagoon. Oh, and the poochena and zigzagoon encounters were crazy :
zingzingzing! A wild Poochyena appeared! (Shiny)
*caught
A wild (forget) appeared (non shiny)
*ran away
and then... zingzingzing! A wild Zigzagoon appeared! (Shiny)
*jawdrop *caught
so basically 2 shiny in like 5 minutes.. :D

Jaredt222

Jedi Master
My first shiny was pelipper and it was pretty cool seeing him green on ruby. and my second one was on pokemon diamond floatzel

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess
I haven't met many shinies either. A Rattata on my LeafGreen, which I reset and lost it. Besides that, I had found a shiny Geodude, Quagsire and Seviper.

Seviper is the only shiny I've met in my Gen V games, that was on my White version. I've yet to met one on my Black and on my White 2.

Aakash98

Pokemon Ruby I caught a Shiny Marill and nothing has happened ever since. I hope it happens eventually some day.

My first real shiny was a Unown-R in SoulSilver. Then a Rattata and a Shroomish in Emerald.

I traded the latter two for HG Kyogre and Arceus respectively, then traded them back to the original owners. The shinies were like money really.

DX 2401PT

Monitor
Just counting the random encounters, ... 29 since Generation III. A few in Gold, namely Tentacruel, Nidorina, Zubat, Ursaring (x2), and... that's it.
Out of the 29 Generation III~V random encounter shinies, 3 have gotten away. Rhydon (Battle Tower, Ruby), Hariyama (Whirlwind, Ruby), and Weezing (Explosion, Platinum). As my friends say, I am quite lucky in the games (saw Pokerus twice, once in Gold, once in Ruby).

Zachmac

I'll do it from first to last.

Ponyta(FR) - First shiny, uncaught, thanks to lack of pokeballs. Didn't know what a shiny was.
Mankey(FR) - I wasn't paying attention, and when I heard Mankey's loud cry, I got startled, so I dropped my GBA and it froze. I still wasn't sure what a shiny was, but I still wanted one.
Zubat(E) - In a cave, near the beginning of Emerald. At this point, I knew what a shiny was, and caught this one.
Bedew(P) - I got it through the pokeradar, though I didn't really know how to chain, I kept finding Bedews, and ended up finding a shiny one at one point.
...Then I lost the Platinum version Budew and Zubat(actually, a Crobat then), and never ended up finding it...
My next shiny was a litwick, also caught, when EV training special attack on my Black Version. I traded it for a shiny Haxorus, just to find out it was RNGed...and I don't find RNGed shinies all that valuable, so I may as well of thrown it away. And even then, I did feel upset for losing it before remembering to test if it was RNGed, even if I liked Haxorus better.

Last edited:

GildedScizor

The drinking bird
I haven't used the Mesuda method or anything like that to improve my odds of seeing one but so far I've seen a shiny Oddish on Sapphire, shiny Zubat in Emerald, and shiny Gastly in Diamond.

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
Unown I in Gold, Geodude (killed by charmander's flamethrower) and Unown Z in Fire Red, and Foongus in Black.

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
Several times for me xD; One was a Shiny Woobat I ended up KOing, though.....that stank x_x;

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Me. 12 of them with Random Encounters, and chaind 2. :p

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I've only ever encountered two random Shinies; a Shuppet in Sapphire, although I didn't have any Poke Balls on me at the time (>.<), and a Sandile in White, which I still have (although now it's a Krookodile).