• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who here has been a fan of the series since Kanto and is finally departing after all these years?

ZarudeSandstorm

Why do you need an excuse to watch a cartoon? Why not just watch it because you want to....
Because cartoons are for kids and I am 25 year old? Lol.
This way I grew up with Ash and "vice versa". Ash didn't grow up with us( older fans) but anime " acts" as he did.
These new kids are basically reboot. So, this is basically me watching kids cartoon without any excuses. It's easy to swallow. TBH

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't plan on "departing", but I probably won't keep up with the new anime on a regular basis. I suppose it depends on whether I like the first few episodes or not: I might drop the new series if it's not to my liking, or continue watching it if it's appealing enough. Time will tell.

Gingertail24

Because cartoons are for kids and I am 25 year old? Lol.
This way I grew up with Ash and "vice versa". Ash didn't grow up with us( older fans) but anime " acts" as he did.
These new kids are basically reboot. So, this is basically me watching kids cartoon without any excuses. It's easy to swallow. TBH
I thought the "cartoons are only for kids" thing has been discussed to death

There are many adult animated shows

Shows that are more aimed for kids still have terrific storytelling that any audience can enjoy. Gravity falls, young justice (sorta, I think it leans slightly more for young adults), samurai jack (minus the awful ending lol), adventure time, Avatar last Airbender

You do you, but cartoons being just for kids is false

Last edited:

ZarudeSandstorm

I thought the "cartoons are only for kids" thing has been discussed to death

There are many adult animated shows
There's difference between adult animated show and show for kids, tho. I mean it's clearly self explanatory.
Shows that are more aimed for kids still have terrific storytelling that any audience can enjoy. Gravity falls, young justice (sorta, I think it leans slightly more for young adults), samurai jack (minus the awful ending lol), adventure time, Avatar last Airbender
I am not talking about storytelling, I am talking about making bonds and target audience. Ashanime is targeted towards the kids but thing is I as a kid was watching it and would still watch Ash, TR and Pikachu because I grew up with them and somehow they "grew up" with it me too. So that's an excuse for 25 year old to watch a cartoon for kids. I 'made' bond with them because they are part of my childhood.
The only way I would continue watching Pokemon anime is by making Ash back since I grew up with him or making some kind of adult oriented Pokemon with young adults, their journeys, their battles etc. Like on Adult Swim.
BTW storytelling on those shows for kids can be good but nowhere near good as storytelling in actual adult oriented shows or movies( good ones). Writing is more complex, dialogue heavy etc.
You do you, but cartoons being just for kids is false
lol ofc I was talking cartoons for kids, I am not talking to cartoons for everyone. South Park is a cartoon for adults. Specifically here, Pokemon anime is for kids.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Who told you I was leaving? I'm sticking around at least for this Paldea one.
There's difference between adult animated show and show for kids, tho. I mean it's clearly self explanatory.
Yeah, the difference is nearly all adult animated shows make the exact same assumptions about their audience. Animated kids shows tend to be far more unique and captivating.

Aimed at adults: Simpsons, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, Bojack Horseman, etc.
Aimed at kids: Amphibia, Gravity Falls, Phineas & Ferb, The Owl House

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
Most cartoons aimed at adults are full of toilet humor and lack substance. Incredibly a lot of cartoons for teens and children have more depth.

ZarudeSandstorm

Who told you I was leaving? I'm sticking around at least for this Paldea one.

Yeah, the difference is nearly all adult animated shows make the exact same assumptions about their audience. Animated kids shows tend to be far more unique and captivating.

Aimed at adults: Simpsons, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, Bojack Horseman, etc.
Aimed at kids: Amphibia, Gravity Falls, Phineas & Ferb, The Owl House
Funny how you mention adult animated sitcoms which are more episodic and comedy oriented, you didn't mention adult oriented shows like some DC animated movies( and some shows), Death Note anime,Castlevania anime,Cowboy Bepop,AOT, Samurai Jack final episode of adult swim these are on top of my head.
I didn't watch those kids shows except Phineas and Ferb back in the day what captivity it had again? LOL , it's same every episode. Writing and storytelling is exactly what it's aimed at: for kids.
Most cartoons aimed at adults are full of toilet humor and lack substance. Incredibly a lot of cartoons for teens and children have more depth.
That's because you're thinking about "bad" comedy shows like Family Guy probably. Try South Park for comedy or other adult animated shows like I mentioned above.

Gingertail24

I am not talking about storytelling, I am talking about making bonds and target audience. Ashanime is targeted towards the kids but thing is I as a kid was watching it and would still watch Ash, TR and Pikachu because I grew up with them and somehow they "grew up" with it me too. So that's an excuse for 25 year old to watch a cartoon for kids. I 'made' bond with them because they are part of my childhood.
The only way I would continue watching Pokemon anime is by making Ash back since I grew up with him or making some kind of adult oriented Pokemon with young adults, their journeys, their battles etc. Like on Adult Swim.
BTW storytelling on those shows for kids can be good but nowhere near good as storytelling in actual adult oriented shows or movies( good ones). Writing is more complex, dialogue heavy etc.

lol ofc I was talking cartoons for kids, I am not talking to cartoons for everyone. South Park is a cartoon for adults. Specifically here, Pokemon anime is for kids.
Yeah but that doesn't dispute my point tho.
Avatar is mainly targeted for a younger audience. But the writing is so good that people of all ages can enjoy. You don't need an excuse to watch a show targeted for kids if the writing is good.

And yeah I'll agree that if both shows are well written, I do think the adult oriented one is usually the one I think has more stronger writing but that's subjective for the most part

Also great opportunity to recommend Bojack horseman for anyone here. But it deals with heavy topics so be warned

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
I mean if you don't look deep enough every animated adult show looks like a South Park wannabe but there's plenty of gems out there

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?

ZarudeSandstorm

Yeah but that doesn't dispute my point tho.
Avatar is mainly targeted for a younger audience. But the writing is so good that people of all ages can enjoy. You don't need an excuse to watch a show targeted for kids if the writing is good.
I have never watched Avatar so I don't know if it's good or bad. And I won't watch it because it's outside of age range. I would only watch kids anime and cartoons that I had shared some "bonds" with , once they change the core of that show/anime like MCs, I am done.
Yes, I do. Excuse for Pokemon is because Ash, TR and Pikachu are there. Excuse for TMNT is that I grew up with 4 turtles, so even if it's kids show I would still watch it because I grew up with TMNT. I grew up with Ben 10, so I would still watch it because I grew up with Ben 10 etc.
Even though new Pokemon series' writing is great, I still won't watch it because no Ash and it's aimed at kids. Simply there's no time with other games, shows and movies. I found out time for Pokemon anime only because of childhood heroes of mine.Now that they will be gone soon, I will fill minutes or hours of my life with other stuff.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?

Gingertail24

I have never watched Avatar so I don't know if it's good or bad. And I won't watch it because it's outside of age range. I would only watch kids anime and cartoons that I had shared some "bonds" with , once they change the core of that show/anime like MCs, I am done.
Yes, I do. Excuse for Pokemon is because Ash, TR and Pikachu are there. Excuse for TMNT is that I grew up with 4 turtles, so even if it's kids show I would still watch it because I grew up with TMNT. I grew up with Ben 10, so I would still watch it because I grew up with Ben 10 etc.
Even though new Pokemon series' writing is great, I still won't watch it because no Ash and it's aimed at kids. Simply there's no time with other games, shows and movies. I found out time for Pokemon anime only because of childhood heroes of mine.Now that they will be gone soon, I will fill minutes or hours of my life with other stuff.
I mean I found that ironic considering many adult cartoons and other forms of media are and can be inspired by stuff that people would consider "just for kids"

It shows you shouldn't limit yourself to just adult stuff for quality stuff. And I highly recommend avatar. Yes it's aimed at a younger demographics but there is a reason why that show is universally praised and why it's considered one of the best animated shows in the west. Especially as it has one of the best characters/redemption arcs I've seen. Especially when so many other shows fumble that

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Funny how you mention adult animated sitcoms which are more episodic and comedy oriented, you didn't mention adult oriented shows like some DC animated movies( and some shows), Death Note anime,Castlevania anime,Cowboy Bepop,AOT, Samurai Jack final episode of adult swim these are on top of my head.
I didn't watch those kids shows except Phineas and Ferb back in the day what captivity it had again? LOL , it's same every episode. Writing and storytelling is exactly what it's aimed at: for kids.

That's because you're thinking about "bad" comedy shows like Family Guy probably. Try South Park for comedy or other adult animated shows like I mentioned above.
pretty sure both Death Note and AoT are classified as shonen (though tbh adult oriented anime does tend to have more variety than adult oriented western cartoons)

ZarudeSandstorm

I mean I found that ironic considering many adult cartoons and other forms of media are and can be inspired by stuff that people would consider "just for kids"

It shows you shouldn't limit yourself to just adult stuff for quality stuff. And I highly recommend avatar. Yes it's aimed at a younger demographics but there is a reason why that show is universally praised and why it's considered one of the best animated shows in the west
If its aimed at adults I dont see point why I wouldnt give it a try? I would rather give a chance to adult oriented cartoon than kid oriented cartoon. Because on the default they would please me more since it targeted towards me. If it doesnt goodbye see ya next thing.
Thnx for recommendation if somehow day is 48 hours then I would try it. Simply as an adult there are many obligations that one person must do and thus limiting entertainment options really badly.