• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who here has been a fan of the series since Kanto and is finally departing after all these years?

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
I know all of us OG fans always joke about Ash being around forever, but now that he's leaving I feel finality to childhood, lol. Now it's like "lol the protag you knew and followed since you were 8/9 is finally growing up so that means you finally have to as well" which is absolutely ridiculous considering I'm 33 now, but it feels like just that. Seeing him leave feels like that one tether left of a connection to childhood is finally being severed and it's heartbreaking, in a way. Like yeah - we knew it was going to happen and NEEDED to happen. He's just always been a consistency throughout life, and now that he's leaving it's quite bittersweet.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
the fact we're getting new blood is what has me wanting to keep watching. I enjoyed Ash's story at first like most, but when it became apparent they were holding him back intentionally (especially in the sinnoh league with Tobias), as if winning a league was the end of his journey, he got stale and didn't feel like a true character to me anymore, all I started seeing was a puppet condemned to be an eternal failure , until he won the alola league which reignited my interest in his story, JN's breaking so many patterns with him and no longer holding him down, regardless of the execution he felt alive again to me, but even so the damage was done, I still felt it was more than time for him to be replaced.

why they never pulled the trigger to let him go sooner is an eternal question we'll never know.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
the fact we're getting new blood is what has me wanting to keep watching. I enjoyed Ash's story at first like most, but when it became apparent they were holding him back intentionally (especially in the sinnoh league with Tobias), as if winning a league was the end of his journey, he got stale and didn't feel like a true character to me anymore, all I started seeing was a puppet condemned to be an eternal failure , until he won the alola league which reignited my interest in his story, JN's breaking so many patterns with him and no longer holding him down, regardless of the execution he felt alive again to me, but even so the damage was done, I still felt it was more than time for him to be replaced.

why they never pulled the trigger to let him go sooner is an eternal question we'll never know.
Could be that higher ups were not confident in a new protagonist for quite a while until even they realized he was stagnating

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
I started watching the anime back in 2006 the CN in my country aired the OS episodes back then. To me the anime was all about the pokemon and the people that surrounded Ash and Pikachu and it is kinda heartbreaking that they are barely featured in the last remaining episodes.

Espeonite

Unova was the worst region for Ash, they really just dumbed him down to a newbie after 4 regions, should have just replaced him if that was what they were gonna do.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
the fact we're getting new blood is what has me wanting to keep watching.
Yeah i basically feel the same.

Also, unlike some people, I don't live vicariously through Ash, so I'm not that bothered that he'll be leaving.

Getting new main characters is the most exciting thing to happen to the Pokemon anime in years.

Quinton

Writer at TheGamer, RPG Site, Nova Crystallis
I've been a fan since the original UPN airings for Kanto - just never engaged with the fandom until recently.

I'm not planning on leaving, though.

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
Yeah i basically feel the same.

Also, unlike some people, I don't live vicariously through Ash, so I'm not that bothered that he'll be leaving.

Getting new main characters is the most exciting thing to happen to the Pokemon anime in years.

I can definitely agree. I've grown fond of Ash primarily because of familiarity. One of my favorite things about watching anime series with continuing seasons is that you grow attached to characters and love to see where the next adventure will go. I don't think Ash is a flawless character or even a totally amazing one, but I'm certainly attached to him. The fact that Ash has been in our lives for over 20 years is pretty wild, and it makes it almost surreal to think he's really departing after all this time.

That being said, I'm really intrigued to see where the anime is going to go now.

Alolan Glaceon

Glaceon master
After so many years, I think it's good that Ash is leaving, after all, a certain era had to end and if there were more series, maybe there would be many people complaining like in the current series or the previous one because they expected it to be like in the 6th generation, And it wasn't, so it would only get worse now. What would the next championships or other things bring? That would be boring. Let him rest, although it is with a heavy heart that I honestly say this, but it had to end the way it did, I watched this series for 23 years and I was very upset with Ash,. Give the new series a chance, maybe there will be something interesting.

Ryker101

Yeah Ash’s departure was long overdue. I like the kid but he became stale after a while. It felt like they wrote themselves into a corner so they’d reset him. Which makes it harder to buy into his journey. He also should’ve aged, slowly and subtly ofc

Pokemon’s never been about one protagonist, it’s a universal thing. Just like Red, Ash can be a legendary trainer in the distance but coexist with new protagonists. Doesn’t have to be the main focus

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
Yeah Ash’s departure was long overdue. I like the kid but he became stale after a while. It felt like they wrote themselves into a corner so they’d reset him. Which makes it harder to buy into his journey. He also should’ve aged, slowly and subtly ofc

Unless it was mentioned in the Japanese dialogue, I don't ever recall Ash's age being explicitly mentioned after OS.

That's why growing up, I thought Ash was aging from OS-DP. I was in high school when DP was airing, and I thought Ash was around my age (14 or 15) based on how mellowed out and 'mature' he behaved, and how skilled he was as a trainer.

I just thought they were doing the pre-growth spurt protagonist concept, similar to Edward from FMAB or Shirou from Fate/Stay Night.

Then, BW hammered it home that he was still 10. XY didn't try to retcon that by saying he was a teenager. Instead, every series has just doubled down that he's 10, and now Yuyama came out saying that he's forever 10.

Gingertail24

I'm happy Ash is leaving. I think I got really frustrated with his character post DP where it was clear he was basically clay, molding his personality/arc to whatever they need him to be for each series. Despite the inconsistencies. Doesn't help that it feels they honestly don't know how to internally develop him post DP imo

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
sometimes I think a poll should be made of which "transition" people feel is the worst post "Japan" regions.

Cause his character or lack there of sure didn't stick during that period, at least not until JN's imo and that was only because he had finally won a league, thus was not completely changed from being held back.

BlueDragonfangirl

sometimes I think a poll should be made of which "transition" people feel is the worst post "Japan" regions.

Cause his character or lack there of sure didn't stick during that period, at least not until JN's imo and that was only because he had finally won a league, thus was not completely changed from being held back.
Well, I wasn’t asking for different opinions on here but some how got some any ways.

Ryker101

Unless it was mentioned in the Japanese dialogue, I don't ever recall Ash's age being explicitly mentioned after OS.

That's why growing up, I thought Ash was aging from OS-DP. I was in high school when DP was airing, and I thought Ash was around my age (14 or 15) based on how mellowed out and 'mature' he behaved, and how skilled he was as a trainer.

I just thought they were doing the pre-growth spurt protagonist concept, similar to Edward from FMAB or Shirou from Fate/Stay Night.

Then, BW hammered it home that he was still 10. XY didn't try to retcon that by saying he was a teenager. Instead, every series has just doubled down that he's 10, and now Yuyama came out saying that he's forever 10.

It was weird as. They were simultaneously having him grow and mature over the years but simultaneously said he was the same age. Not sure why they were allergic to it. Wouldn’t have hurt to make him taller or smth over time

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
It was weird as. They were simultaneously having him grow and mature over the years but simultaneously said he was the same age. Not sure why they were allergic to it. Wouldn’t have hurt to make him taller or smth over time

They honestly didn't have to say anything. They could have given some vague response like, "Ash is constantly growing." That way, people could just assume he's aging but hasn't had a growth spurt yet. It's not like 10-year-olds need verbal affirmation that Ash is their age as long as he remains shorter and looks youthful.

I remember this video from the day that postulated he'd be 16 entered DA!:

If XY completes rest of 16; SM is 9-12 months based on Kukui's kid; and JN is almost another 1 year if the PWC is an annual cycle, then he'd be 18-19 by end of the series.

I almost think this could have worked out elegantly for the staff. Ash becomes an 'adult', hits his long-delayed growth spurt, and the show moves onto to the next kid protagonist.

His victory in the PWC becomes a lot more plausible too if it's known that it took him 8-9 years as a Pokemon Trainer to be the best.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Im ok with that tbh. I watched the first series as a kid and in my opinion ever since xy ended, the show got very inappropriate and out of direction
So maybe it is good that we have a completely new series now