• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who is Ash’s best friend? (Besides Pikachu)

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Inspired from a old thread, felt like this topic could be updated.

I always thought of Brock as Ash’s best friend besides Pikachu with Misty and Dawn as close seconds but sometimes I wonder if I, as well a lot of other people only think that because of how long Brock traveled with Ash.

Lately I’ve been appreciative of the dynamic between Kiawe and Ash although I’m not sure if I’d go as far as to say Kiawe is Ash’s closest friend. I’m still going to give Brock that title for now.

So who do you think Ash is closest to out of all of his current and past companions?

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
How about all of em ?! Satoshi don't play fav you know ?

Kintaro

Banned
It's probably intended to be Brock, since he was there so long and Ash and him had a bond. Only problem is the Ash/Brock friendship was so poorly focused on in AG/DP that you would often forget how long they knew and traveled with each other. Like I said, it's likely *intended* to be Brock, but the writers just didn't do a good job emphasizing it as the show progressed.

Dream Lad

Banned
Among the humans, can't go wrong with Brock. Longest traveling companion, an older brotherly figure to Ash. Misty is up there too since she was the second-longest traveling companion, her special lure, now she's come back in Sun & Moon. Dawn and Ash had a great bond (should have been the ship) in Diamond & Pearl. I suppose if Serena is meant to be Ash's eventual squeeze, then she must rank high too even if her and Ash's friendship wasn't as good as others already mentioned.

Among the Pokemon, I think Ash will always have a special bond with his Kanto Gang of Four, and Charizard is probably Ash's #2 after Pikachu. Infernape and Ash had a fantastic connection, overcame a lot. Greninja obviously had the Synchro development. Sceptile a little bit less so, but still fairly strong.

Crude Top Ten:

1. Pikachu
2. Brock
3. Charizard
4. Misty
5. Infernape
6. Dawn
7. Greninja
8. Bulbasaur
9. Sceptile
10. Squirtle/Serena
Honorable Mention: May

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
For the humans, I think it was Brock, Misty and Dawn. Both Brock and Misty traveled with him for so long and you could see the bond develop between him and both Brock and Misty. As for Dawn, she was like a sibling to him and they taught each other and helped the other get better in their respective goals.

That's hard to answer since he gets along with all of his pals but I think his bond is strongest with Dawn and Misty compared to the others. Even Brock who was with Ash for so long didn't feel like BFF material compared to those two girls.

Kintaro

Banned
Well Misty and Brock are just bound to have some due to being the first companions, but I do wonder why they made his bond with Dawn so strong compared to the other girls. He definitely didn't have a bond as close to May, Iris, the SM cast, and with Serena the crush aspect came from her.

Honestly most of the time it feels like Ash's companions are traveling with Ash for no reason, only because that's the way the anime is set-up, but he doesn't really have a strong enough bond with some of them to warrent them traveling with him for entire regions.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
I actually agree. Although in SM I do see a good bond between Ash and Kiawe and Ash and Lillie, but sometimes it previous sagas it just felt off.

Kintaro

Banned
I can see why Bonnie and Clemont traveled with Ash, Clemont admired him from the start and Bonnie looked at Ash as a hero too. Clemont's whole development in the saga was him wanting to be strong like Ash.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Citron probably had the most hero worship towards Satoshi out of all the male cast members, but I was never a fan of his "bromance" with Satoshi because it fizzled out somewhat after the Miare Gym battle.

Kintaro

Banned
Citron probably had the most hero worship towards Satoshi out of all the male cast members, but I was never a fan of his "bromance" with Satoshi because it fizzled out somewhat after the Miare Gym battle.

If you watched the last ep of XY and the eps in the Team Flare arc, it did not. The writers even made that Japanese ending theme with Clemont writing a "admiration/thank you letter" to Ash about how much he grew with him.

DatsRight

My general problem with the XY cast is how one sided those bonds felt, Ash was so idealised so it didn't really feel much like he was attached to them, he liked them but he was mostly one track goal and Pokemon focused.

I liked SM for challenging this more often, like when he causes problems for Lillie's phobia from treating things too lightly and like his usual adventures, he genuinely feels bad. He realises she needs more than just passive encouragement from a distance. You could tell he wasn't that used to being intimate between one companion and I think that made that bond more significant. A shame they didn't get as much time together individually afterwards besides the odd episode, though Kiawe and Sophocles definitely feel like Ash's bros.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
Hmm, Brock I guess? They seemed like good friends, almost like brothers even. Ash treats all his friends pretty much the same way though so I dunno how to rank them against each other.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Well he’s called his OS/AG companions his best friends but excluding that I’d say Misty, Brock, or Dawn. He treats his friends fairly equally but these 3 have the closest bonds with him

XY Rules

Pokemon Master
Gonna have to echo what a lot of others have said and go with Brock, Misty, and Dawn as the top 3. Brock being in the lead of course.
-Travelled with him the longest.
-Was his big brother/mentor figure.
-Was about to split up with Ash multiple times but always came back (excluding the end of DP).
-Speaking of the end of DP, you saw just how proud Brock was of Ash during the Sinnoh League.
-They had a lot of great bromance moments in all four sagas.

Misty and Dawn are tied for second. Misty because she traveled with him for the second longest amount of time. Misty was like his sister since they bicker almost all the time, but still care about each other like how a brother and sister do, so they’re definitely really close.

Dawn because she has the most organic feeling best friend interactions with him. They almost always work together/partner up, tease each other, learn from each other, have very few fights and when they do it’s resolved quickly and then won’t have another one for a long time. I know that’s how I interact with my best friend at least.