• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who is Ash's Best Ace?

Who is Ash's Best Ace?

• Pikachu

• Charizard

• Sceptile

• Infenape

• Krookodile

• Greninja

• Lycanroc

• Lucario

Results are only viewable after voting.

SevereRacccon6

Sinnoh and Kalos Enjoyer
My personal choice is obviously Infernape lmao: Best character arc and Ash Vs Paul had Infernape at an insane level took out half of Pauls team including the ace

Raw strength is a tie between Ash-Greninja and the Zard, if charizard used a gimmick/mega evolved he is the clear strongest ashmon lol

Coolest ace is sceptile for that darkrai kill lol

Lycanroc and Krook were solid and all but they dont measure up to the others imo

Pikachu with the nuke at the end is prolly the strongest but hes never consistent so he could be anywhere from krook level or above the rest hes just a DEM when he needs to be

However Lucario is gonna surpass them if he takes out Leonzard since thats like prolly the strongest pokemon ever shown in the anime besides the legendaries

actually it's not that bad, Lucario has received a lot of hate lately

Anyway I'm preparing for Lucario vs Charizard, I'm going to wait for the opening to come true so I won't be disappointed if it ends up being true.

The funny thing is if M-Lucario does beat Gmax Zard it automatically becomes no.1 overshadowing Greninja and Pikachu
And if it beats Mega Garchomp it automatically becomes no.2, second only to Pikachu who I imagine will get the honour to beat Gmax Charizard then

Anyway we still don't know if Ash will really beat Leon

Pokemonfan5

Without a doubt it's Ash's day one partner Pikachu

You can say his strength is inconsistent but Pikachu is the one who win Ash all of his biggest achievements in his life, Pikachu is the one who win Ash orange league and final Battle Frontier battle, he is the one who help Ash the most to beat Gladion and become Alola champion, Ash's strongest feat right now is beating Tapu koko and it's thanks to Pikachu as well

Last edited:

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
Without a doubt it's Ash's day one partner Pikachu

You can say his strength is inconsistent but Pikachu is the one who win Ash all of his biggest achievements in his life, Pikachu is the one who win Ash orange league and final Battle Frontier battle, he is the one who help Ash the most to beat Gladion and become Alola champion, Ash's strongest feat right now is beating Tapu koko+Guardian of Alola and it's thanks to Pikachu as well

Agree that Peakachu is the strongest (if the writers feel like it), but I don’t think that Tapu Koko is Ash‘s strongest feat.

Sceptilee

Definitely Pikachu, even if my heart says Sceptile lol. It's a bit too early to say for sure though but it will probably be the mon to down G-max Charizard, or if that's a combined effort like Drake's Dragonite, then Cynthia's Garchomp. Hopefully it's Pikachu who gets the win, I don't want more ridiculous feats for Lucario lol and Charizard's typing counters Lucario in every single way (not like that matters in the anime though).

I do want to say that Sceptile is very underrated, Tobias Darkrai was probably the strongest pokemon Ash had ever defeated until maybe Tapu Koko (Alain's Charizard was probably up there but Ash couldn't beat it). Raihan's Duraladon should technically be stronger but getting one-shot by Base Lucario is really unfair for it and it will forever be a joke unfortunately. The fact that Darkrai won 6-0 in the Sinnoh League final against who is probably the strongest trainer not named Ash or Paul is very underappreciated and definitely pushes it to E4 level if not higher. But it does technically use cheap moves like putting it's opponents to sleep and then recovering health so it's not an absolute feat of power or endurance. Still very impressive though.

I guess we'll all keep our eyes on who defeats Mega-Metagross, Mega-Garchomp and especially Leon's G-max Charizard now.

DayQuil95

Y'know, after rewatching many of the series, I have changed my opinion on the subject by a little. So, in terms of power, it's undisputed that Pikachu is the strongest ace by a lot, not only is he the one with the most experience and closest to Ash, but also has fought the most foes out of them all, so it's no surprise that the yellow mouse is an absolute powerhouse and that if it was to evolve, it would be a million times stronger than them due to all of its previous training combined with the massive boost from Pikachu to Raichu, which would require the others to catch up to it.

In terms of story, it has to be Infernape for sure, they took a simple ability combined with a nicely-designed starter and turned it into an excellent character that could give goosebumps to everyone watching, from a Chimchar with extremely high potential that was mistreated and traumatized from its abuse training to an absolute powerhouse that is among Ash's top 5 strongest Pokemon of all time and swept through half of Paul's team along with tutoring Champion-Level Pokemon like they are some newbies, goes to say a lot about his massive power and potential. Every moment with Infernape in DP felt great to me, from him hugging Ash as a little Chimchar while crying, which goes to show that Ash doesn't need to act extremely serious to be considered mature, and that maturity comes with responsibility in your acts and the ones around you.

In terms of iconicity, it's for sure Charizard, the anime turned it from "that cool dragon starter" to the literal most iconic Pokemon of all time and a practical mascot for the franchise in everything but the title. Of course, Infernape and other Pokemon have improved upon the basic concept of Charizard's arc with the years of more experience of writing the writers acquired, but that still doesn't change how much impact and weight this thing had whenever it was sent in OS-AG, because you never could know what it was going to do, other than the fact that it was going to be something memorable. From causing Ash to lose the Kanto league the way he did to beat Gary's Blastoise to crippling Blaziken enough for his opponent to lose the next match, and to peak in his showings by beating a legendary in a straight 1v1 without any help, Charizard was just great and I hope that he gets another opportunity to show up in the future because knowing his character, he for sure continued training and getting stronger alongside the likes of Infernape.

Now in terms of my personal favorite, it's for sure Sceptile. I have been underestimating this dude for years now, in terms of power and personality, but now that I rewatched through a lot of AG, I have fully understood just how badass this ace is. For one, he didn't depend on anything to become strong, other than his own relationship with Ash, no special training in the Sceptilic Valley, no overpowered Overgrow, no Bond Phenomenon, no Mega Evolution, no Aura Powers, nothing, just his bond with Ash that allowed him to get to the next levels, and for this I consider him to be Ash's most natural and deservedly powerful ace in terms of development and power acquired through a series. Then you amount this into the fact that Sceptile was also realistic, it didn't have a flawless W/L record of steamrolling through everything and being unbeaten at an early stage, it started out weak and inexperienced, living under Swellow's shadows, but then grew up into the strongest member of the Hoenn squad, and easily one of Ash's all-time strongest Pokemon, by learning from the multiple beatings it took.

And for all these reasons, my favorite episode involving Sceptile, and easily in my top 3 Pokeanime episodes, is Cutting The Ties That Bind, that episode just had everything in it, from Sceptile and Ash showing just how much they care about each other, to the core aspect of the Pokemon franchise and what made it unique in the first place, and then concluding with Sceptile's depression arc ending in an excellent note of saving a wounded Ash from Team Rocket before beating two Pokemon from Spencer in the Battle Frontier. The whole thing just felt really great to watch, and this combined with the previously mentioned aspects of Sceptile made me like him much more than Infernape, Charizard, Pikachu, Greninja, and others.

IkeBayern

Guys I have a question, is there a difference between a trainer's main and ace Pokemon?

Like Pikachu is considered Ash's main Pokémon partner but not always his ace.

Is that a distinction we can make?

I've seen it with Marnie's Morkepo (her main partner) and Grimmsnarl (main battle mon).

Last edited:

DayQuil95

Guys I have a question, is there a difference between a trainer's main Pokemon and ace Pokemon?

Like Pikachu is considered Ash's main Pokemon partner but not always his ace.

Is that a distinction we can make? I've seen it with Marnie's Morkepo and Grimmsnarl.
Oh, definitely. It's just that in most cases someone's main Pokemon also turn out to be their aces, but in other cases like Paul, his main is Electivire, but his strongest is most likely Torterra, while Alain's main is Charizard, who is also his ace.

IkeBayern

By default it's got to be Pikachu, been there since the beginning and it's Z-Move is pretty hectic. Only issue that the plot makes the yellow rat so inconsistent hence it'll go from defeating a legendary Pokemon to losing to Surskits and Snivys.

- Charizard is the OG of iconic feats but it hasn't been a relevant battler since the Battle Frontier days, sadly I feel like they've tossed him away for other Charizards like Alan's and Leon's

- Story wise Infernape, don't need to explain much. Tbh I thought it was going to be one of the mons that would come back into Ash's main team during Journeys (seeing how much focus it got) went on alongside Mr. Mime and Larvitar.

- Krookodile

*Sadly really didn't get a chance to develop as much as I would've liked for it to be considered a real ace, it's a very strong mon but not enough feats for me to classify it as an ace.

- Lycanroc

* It might've won Ash the Alola league but I adamantly believe that Pikachu was Ash's ace in S&M.

- Sceptile:

*Well apart from beating Darkari I don't really think it was all that, it only really came into its own late into the AG series

- The frog:

* I would say it is Ash's strongest mon out there. You saw what it did to Lucario, I honestly believe the frog is the most naturally talented of all the aces and would wipe the floor with 90% of opponents out there.
* Yes it lost to Alain and Charizard but considering how OP those 2 were portrayed as during XY&Z, I don't have an issue with it.
* Only sad thing is that all of Ash's Pokémon got one over their rivals at some point while he never got a chance to, btw I know Leon embarrassed Alain but remember he's never lost a battle and the episode itself was poorly written.

-Lucario

* This may be controversial but I voted for Lucario, personally I don't like it that much (Gengar and Dracovish are my JN favs) and others have been better so far.

* But the reason I voted for it is not because of what it's done. But the potential and what it's gonna do before this series is all over, btw I also think that Lucario will remain with Ash for the new anime series as well, just a hunch though.

* Mega evolution, beating the Monarch, having Aura powers, so many narratives and a storyline only fitting for an ace.. Journeys poor writing hinders it a lil bit but the Ash-Lucario bond has been a decade in the making and it will get better

Last edited:

Sceptilee

Oh, definitely. It's just that in most cases someone's main Pokemon also turn out to be their aces, but in other cases like Paul, his main is Electivire, but his strongest is most likely Torterra, while Alain's main is Charizard, who is also his ace.
It's definitely pretty confusing, for instance I've mostly heard people say that Meowth was Tyson's Ace but I personally think his Metagross was the strongest and maybe his Sceptile too (hard to judge although it did well in the battle before and could have been his starter). Meowth was definitely his main pokemon though since we saw it the most. I've also heard of Electivire being referred to as Paul's Ace although that's likely Torterra.

I think a lot of people often use these interchangeably but you've put it down pretty well, main is the most iconic pokemon of that user while Ace is their strongest or most reliable mon.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
1.Pikachu (Gimmick Powerup)
2.Greninja (Battle Bond)
3.Lucario (Aura/Mega Evolution)
4.Greninja
5.Infernape (Hax Blaze)
6.Charizard
7.Pikachu
8.Sceptile (Overgrow)
9.Infernape
10.Sceptile
11.Krookodile
12.Lucario
13.Lycanroc

Charizard imo was Ash's strongest base pokemon in the previous series,the writers decided leave to Charizard in the dust and go with Pikachu and ever since it's been the one to take on the biggest challanges (Regice/Latios/Tapu Koko/GMAX Charizard)

SnappyConcreteCockatiel-max-1mb.gif

Charizard went through legitimate training and proper progression to where it could've been used in the positions that Pikachu was in

Magmar -> Dragonair -> Blastoise -> AG Articuno -> Latios -> Reshiram -> MCX -> Moltres -> JN Articuno -> GMAX Charizard

3ba5c7cf5b7f3d17fbcd8b60ac8234bf.gif

Charizard was never given the chance to use Mega Evolution,Z-Move or G-Max,the writers cut it's legs from under him by stopping it's training at Charicific Valley and not letting Ash use it in future battles post BW.

Last edited:

Sceptilee

In Journeys, Charizard seems to have taken a back seat to Infernape which is pretty disappointing. Probably because of the DP remakes and also, they already have enough Charizards to market although Ash's Charizard is still the OG. Undoubtedly his most powerful pokemon until we got competition with Infernape, Sceptile beating Darkrai and Pikachu beating Regice/Latios.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
In Journeys, Charizard seems to have taken a back seat to Infernape which is pretty disappointing. Probably because of the DP remakes and also, they already have enough Charizards to market although Ash's Charizard is still the OG. Undoubtedly his most powerful pokemon until we got competition with Infernape, Sceptile beating Darkrai and Pikachu beating Regice/Latios.
It appeared that way since Infernape went to seek out Moltres after battling with Charizard on Oak's Ranch but there isn't enough evidence.

Going off what I said earlier Charizard would have no problem replicating what they did in DP.This includes going through half of Paul's team at the Sinnoh League without the reliance of an ability, breaking out of Darkrai's Dark Void due to also having a strong bond with Ash and then proceeding to KO it,and lastly tying or defeating Latios.

I know that there's been this talk about Charizard being a battle bot but the way I see it Charizard's sole purpose was initially to help and bail Ash out of the toughest situations which was something none of Ash's pokemon were able to achieve due to not going through the same type of training that Charizard went through.

Each time it came back it got stronger and learned new moves.This was what made Charizard special compared to the rest of Ash's pokemon.Had the writers continued this route we would've seen Charizard pulling off the same feats that Pikachu,Greninja,Sceptile and Infernape did and then some.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
1.Pikachu (Gimmick Powerup)
2.Greninja (Battle Bond)
3.Lucario (Aura/Mega Evolution)
4.Greninja
5.Infernape (Hax Blaze)
6.Charizard
7.Pikachu
8.Sceptile (Overgrow)
9.Infernape
10.Sceptile
11.Krookodile
12.Lucario
13.Lycanroc
Where is Incineroar at tho? And why is Krookodile ranked higher than Lucario and Lycanroc when considering it only beat Iris Dragonite, it is outclassed by the other two mons