• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who is better, Groudon or Kyogre?

Groudon or Kyogre

• Groudon

Votes: 37 33.9%
  • Kyogre

Votes: 72 66.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pansy :]

anustart
I've always found the fact that groudon and kyogre are fighting a bit ridiculous, as (i think) most of kyogres moves do 400% damage to a groudon.

Skydra

I've always found the fact that groudon and kyogre are fighting a bit ridiculous, as (i think) most of kyogres moves do 400% damage to a groudon.

You thought wrong. Groudon is pure Ground type. For some reason so many people think of it as Fire/Ground. Kyogre's Water moves do 200% though.

Kyogre has better design and is more powerful. It's my choice.

meteor64

Show Me Ya Noobs
Everyones said "lol kyogre cos groudon is grond type so it gets pwnzors"

Has anyone considered the effect weather has on this matchup?

If Groudon is the slower of the two (which is more likely in a competitive environment, but I won't go there) then the sunlight activates after the rain. This will halve the power of Kyogres water attacks. Groudon can suck up a Surf easily from Kyogre in the sunlight, and if it has a Choice Band, it has a decent chance to OHKO Kyogre with Earthquake.

So, in a specific set of conditions, Groudon CAN beat Kyogre 1-on-1.

Anyways, I always liked Groudon more, the Goliath idea always appealed to me more than the Leviathan.

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
I kinda like both, but I think Kyogre looks a bit cooler, also I really love the Rain + Thunder combo Kyogre can easily pull off.

Beastiken9

Under construction
In battle, it depends which weather effect happens first. If kyogres, groudon wins because drought activates=1/2 power water attacks. If groudon, kyogre wins by a landslide. No pun intended.

surfer treecko

Highly Explosive
Kyogre, in terms of appearence and usefulness. It has STAB Water Spout and 100% accuracy Thunder, and all of it's best moves use it's better attacking stat, unlike Groudon.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Kyogre may be stronger, but Groudon is just plain hands down cooler. Kyogre is an ugly fish with nothing going for it in terms of appearance except being downright unatractive.

Last edited:

bippacooleth

Quiver Dance=Success
Kyogre was on my first Sapphire team, my second lv 100 and I recently SRed for a shiny Kyogre in HG. Basically, its pwns Groudon and I used to love ripping my brother over the fact that my lv 100 Kyogre could defeat his lv 100 Groudon in one shot

Yellow Aura

Light of Hope
I picked Kyorge, I've always liked water-types better I guess, but as I was a wee-lad when I got it, I don't really remember- oh yeah, all the other guys had Sapphire, that's why. I guess I was just a follower. :)

AmpharosFanatic

Kyogre is stronger, but I like how Groudon looks more...

Mankanshoku Mako

Groudon for me! Because it looks awesome and its' solarbeam dosent need to be charged.
plus, i dont really like water pokemon lol.

You shouldn't be running a groudon with special moves in the first place. And using sunny day really isn't that much of a hassle.

Lucas.G

Veteran Member
Groudon can use Solarbeam (with his ability in one turn), that can kill Kyogre but if Kyogre uses Hydro Pump before Groudon he will kill Groudon, it depends on stats but I think the are the same