• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who is in your opinion the best female character in Pokemon anime?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Lillie best girl-entertaining even in fillers.

Serena. Amazing character. Amazing development. So relatable. Also I LOVE HOW SHE IS CANONICALLY IN LOVE WITH ASH AISHDOSVDLDVDLSHSKKSB I SHIP IT

Bendicion

Water Master
Misty is the GOAT and its non-debatable. Easily the BEST female companion this anime has ever had. The fact that she was such a feisty girl with a fiery personality at times but was an ardent water pokemon trainer aspiring to become the worlds greatest Water Pokemon Master represented such a unique dichotomy that I haven't seen in any other character before. Truly a multi-dimensional character, and I'm unbelievably proud of how far shes come despite her rough background. As a person, it bewildered me as to why she went to such lengths to prove her worth to her sisters who constantly took advantage of her or took her for granted. I think she lowkey suffers from a slight inferiority complex when she compared herself to them, for above many things, all she wanted was to be considered as beautiful and talented as her older sisters.

Last edited:

togepikindness

SILVER IS THE BEST POKEDEX HOLDER
Misty is the GOAT and its non-debatable. Easily the BEST female companion this anime has EVER had. The fact that she was such a feisty girl with a fiery personality at times but was an ardent water pokemon trainer aspiring to become the worlds greatest Water Pokemon Master represented such a unique dichotomy that I haven't seen in any other character before. Truly a multi-dimensional character, and I'm unbelievably proud of how far shes come despite her rough background. As a person, it bewildered me as to why she went to such lengths to prove her worth to her sisters who constantly took advantage of her or took her for granted. I think she lowkey suffers from a slight inferiority complex when she compared herself to them, for above many things, all she wanted was to be considered as beautiful and talented as her older sisters.
imo I don't really think Misty showed that many growth just in that Whirl Island Competition but I think May does although its just May winning and winning and winning (booooring) but i mean May didn't even like Pokemon to become the Princess of Hoenn

togepikindness

Best girl Dawn will always rule my heart. Have an incredibly soft place in my heart for Lillie as well though
My ranking would be
Dawn > Lillie> Misty > Chloe > Mallow > Serena > May > Lana
DAWN IS MY FAV POKEGIRL. Cute, good in contests never gives up she rules

Bendicion

Water Master
May does although its just May winning and winning and winning (booooring) but i mean May didn't even like Pokemon to become the Princess of Hoenn
May was rarely, if ever, shown training and practicing for a competent win, instead relying on luck, "hax", and borderline deus ex machina for her wins. May is the kind of character who opens the episode with "My Pokemon and I have been training extra hard! I don't even know how and why she got that title, she didn't even win no grand festival.

DatsRight

May was rarely, if ever, shown training and practicing for a competent win, instead relying on luck, "hax", and borderline deus ex machina for her wins. May is the kind of character who opens the episode with "My Pokemon and I have been training extra hard! I don't even know how and why she got that title, she didn't even win no grand festival.
I don't deny that May relied on a lot of cheap moments (a LOT of characters rely on plot armour in the show), but to go say MISTY is the antithesis for that and a well developed trainer would be a total lie. If anything Misty was the very embodiment of 'All talk, no results' for most of her run, criticising Ash for his poor training and grandstanding at other trainers who offended her, but just sulking and failing to handle her own team the moment they proved a problem and spending a lot of the time inactive, only getting by because her Pokemon conviniently bungled the right way (eg. Psyduck's headaches, which were spammed to high heaven all throughout her run and even interfered with the Whirl Cup, the one moment in Johto she was meant to be involved and proving her worth).

Not to say Misty is all bad, but May isn't either. They BOTH suffered from similar issues in that the writers stunk at giving them an agency and were constantly enabled for 'falling upwards'.

Bendicion

Water Master
I don't deny that May relied on a lot of cheap moments (a LOT of characters rely on plot armour in the show), but to go say MISTY is the antithesis for that and a well developed trainer would be a total lie. If anything Misty was the very embodiment of 'All talk, no results' for most of her run, criticising Ash for his poor training and grandstanding at other trainers who offended her, but just sulking and failing to handle her own team the moment they proved a problem and spending a lot of the time inactive, only getting by because her Pokemon conviniently bungled the right way (eg. Psyduck's headaches, which were spammed to high heaven all throughout her run and even interfered with the Whirl Cup, the one moment in Johto she was meant to be involved and proving her worth).

Not to say Misty is all bad, but May isn't either. They BOTH suffered from similar issues in that the writers stunk at giving them an agency and were constantly enabled for 'falling upwards'.
I never said that Misty was the most developed though. Misty didn't get to battle much, but her strength as a trainer was always portrayed realistically in my opinion. She never had undeserved victories that were handed to her because the plot demanded it like for May, and she was never portrayed as a young prodigy like Iris was. There definitely could've been more done to flesh out her ambitions and her goals though. It’s not much because the OS was solely focused on Ash, Misty/Brock were just sidekicks and supporting characters so they were never going to get much focus individually. Misty was here at a time when the Pokemon anime was just a fun adventure between friends so development wasn't as important. That doesn't make Misty a bad character, she just didn't develop like SOME of these girls did.

Most of Mays victories were illogical or poorly written (it was a superior version of Misty’s victories with Psyduck).

Sham

The Guardian of War
I never explained my reason why.

I’m practically found of Lillie because of the anime dealing with mental issues (which is a very real reality) and it’s great that they’re providing a space for kids (and all people) to learn about it with showcasing a bit of PTSD. With saying that, I think she was truly original in her display of being a Pokémon trainer.

She went at her own pace and instead of the writers automatically making her competent at the end of the series, maintained a realistic amount of growth. We even got that epic battle with Alolan Sandrew showcasing her growth. Her slower way of progressing was accurate and realistic considering her delayed time of becoming a trainer. And even then she insisted that she enroll in the school, taking agency to make herself better.

I like Iris because she was different than her predecessors and while her catch phrase was somewhat annoying at times, you could tell that she really cared about Ash. Her teasing of Ash was a learned behavior because she herself felt weird when she was behaving like a “kid” at Drayden’s academy. Being a prodigy was kinda awesome and her battles were cool.

She’s won a tournament, taken out Drayden’s ace, had an impressive winning streak and eventually was considered for the Opelucid Gym Leader. All of these experiences lead her to becoming Champion and it’s great how much growth she’s gotten.

togepikindness

Yes May is definitely not the best female charcater in the Pokemon anime. But I think that the reason why May kept winning wasn't because of hax. But I think how you said luck and deus ex machina was correct. But not only that she did that I don't think her rivals were pushy enough than Dawn. Harley (annoying a_hole who lost because of arrogance) Drew (I guess he was strong but didn't push more like Zoey) Solidad (came too late) Dawn actually had rivals which pushed her and none were forgotter especially Zoey. Even Kenny and Nando were unforgettable. It was good that Dawn won against May showing that Dawn relied more on strategy compared to May's luck and her non-pushing rivals. This is why DAWN is the best female character and is better than May.

togepikindness

Misty is the GOAT and its non-debatable. Easily the BEST female companion this anime has EVER had. The fact that she was such a feisty girl with a fiery personality at times but was an ardent water pokemon trainer aspiring to become the worlds greatest Water Pokemon Master represented such a unique dichotomy that I haven't seen in any other character before. Truly a multi-dimensional character, and I'm unbelievably proud of how far shes come despite her rough background. As a person, it bewildered me as to why she went to such lengths to prove her worth to her sisters who constantly took advantage of her or took her for granted. I think she lowkey suffers from a slight inferiority complex when she compared herself to them, for above many things, all she wanted was to be considered as beautiful and talented as her older sisters.
Honestly Misty is OG but that dosen't make her the best. Her quest to be Water Pokemon Master was rarely shown at times and was quite vague, but her Pokemon were strong. Honestly compared to other characters I don't think she is the best namely because she didn't really struggle at times and we never saw her really struggle to be the best compared to other characters and I don''t think she had a "rough background" Honestly Misty is OG and as a 00's kid I could relate but I don't think she wears a gold medal. Despite this, she caught a Gyarados which was really hard because she had a fear of em. And no other character had to actually catch one (like I know Dawn was afraid of Plusle/Minun but she never caught one. But honestly I don't think she's the best pokegirl

togepikindness

Best Pokegirls: 1. Dawn 2. Lillie 3. Chloe 4. Misty 5. Serena 6. Lana 7. May 8. Mallow
I'm a big Dawn fan (get it, Donphan) namely because of her awesome strategies in contests and her struggles.