• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who is the best dog Pokémon?

Who's the best doggo?

• Growlithe/Arcanine

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Houndour/Houndoom

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Poochyena/Mightyena

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Riolu/Lucario

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Lillipup/Herdier/Stoutland

• Furfrou

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Rockruff/Lycanroc

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Yamper/Boltund

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Fidough

• Zacian/Zamazenta

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
You're talking about what Muneo Saito said on Twitter right? When he talked about Entei he did say something like "I didn't want it to be simply an animal. So I settled on a silhouette that could look like a dog or a cat" but he also said about Entei that "you could say it was basically like a lion" so a lion was the main basis for the design based on what Saito said.

Saito also specifically said that Raikou is "tiger-like" and Suicune is "leopard-like" so it's clear that he had cats in mind more than dogs even if the Beast Trio has some minor dog qualities.
I'm not arguing that the cats were the primary basis, but the fact that Muneo Saito went out of his way to state that he didn't want Entei to exclusively look like a cat in response to the lion statement likely means that the canine influence is a notable secondary contribution to its (and likely Raikou and Suicune's) design. If it was something that was more minor, I think he would've glossed over it or just mentioned it offhand, but he felt the need to make note of it as it was something that influenced his designs of the beasts.

Now granted, I don't think they should be on the poll either as they're cats first, dogs second, and "Beasts" covers them so much better regardless. However, again we do have Mightyena on here despite being hyena first, dog second itself (and no, hyenas aren't canines before that's brought up), so I can understand why someone would bring up the Beast trio when talking about the poll since it's already stretched the options a bit.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Fools. All dogs are best dog.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I can't objectively argue for any one being the best, but my favourite is one I'm surprised not to see on the poll itself: snubbull. This li'l pink cutie is literally the #1 dog pokémon (growlithe and arcanine are some sort of striped-hyena-looking shishi type thing, snubbull's the first to be a clear-cut domestic dog).

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I thought that Zacian and Zamazenta are pretty doggish enough too, so I added them as options. (My favorite of the two is Zacian.)

Random Man2

HYPER BEAM!
Arcanine. It has helped me so much in Draft Leagues thanks to its awesome stats and versatility, and it can even be surprisingly useful in National Dex AG, in which it can check some notable threats such as Zacian, Marshadow, Black Kyurem, Zekrom, and Ice Rider Calyrex.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Best dog in term of the time it was created : Arcanine cuz life was awesome back then
Best Pokemon in term of design: The fairy dog

Mirai

Mega Lucario looks godly so that's my favorite canine Pokemon. In terms of cute canines then I guess I would pick Rockruff or Fidough.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Today is International Dog Day, which makes this poll even more appropriate! :D