• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who is the Strongest Ash? (2021 Version)

Who is the Strongest Ash?

• Kanto Ash

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Johto Ash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hoenn/Battle Frontier Ash

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Sinnoh Ash

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • Unova Ash

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Kalos Ash

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Alola Ash

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Journeys Ash

Votes: 32 42.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sham

The Guardian of War
It depends what are we talking about here entertainment wise or strength?

entertainment
OS>DP>BW>SM>AG/JN>>>>>>>>XY

strength
SM>XY/DP>AG>JN/BW>OS

edit: oops I didn’t see the actual poll!

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The thread title should be "Who is the strongest Ash", people don't read polls they're going to vote for their favorite Ash lol

It's Journeys as he has Pikachu and Dragonite on the team and Infernape/Charizard/Sceptile/Snorlax/Krookidile/etc in reserve

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
Why are people voting for anyone other than Journeys?
Ash literally defeated a champion, is literally set up to become the world's strongest trainer. This ain't about which version you find better, it's what's stronger
I'm pretty sure the order would be JN Ash> SM Ash> XY Ash> DP Ash> BF Ash> BW ash> Johto Ash> Kanto and OI Ash
Based on feats. Each series really gradually improved his skill power aside from BW which lessened it and dumbed it down. SM Ash is definitely more childish but his competency was never decreased.
It depends what kind of poll this is, and since the 'best' is loosely defined, it comes down to subjective interpretation.

When I consider 'best', I think of characterization, development, progression and interactivity. JN Ash may be the best in strength but most of the character angle has been either sidelined heavily or done off-screen or in a rushed manner. XY Ash was too static for most of the series, and a bit too 'shonen' like. SM Ash, while much more exhibiting of his hearty personality, was too jarring a shift coming from the previous season and wildly inconsistent at times. And better not even talk about BW Ash.

This is why I believe that DP Ash was the best overall, he had the perfect blend between serious, humble and snarky, he actually progressed on-screen and had great interactions/bonds with both his Pokemon as well as his traveling companions. DP Ash was a natural progression/evolution of the overconfident underdog character we first saw waking up late back in the very first episode, a natural culmination of all his journeys before they started taking his personality and character all over the place with the next few series.

I'm not surprised that some of the votes here are synonymous with "which series is my favorite?" and hence "I'll pick that Ash", while the others think of it in terms of strength alone.

Last edited:

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
It depends what kind of poll this is, and since the 'best' is loosely defined, it comes down to subjective interpretation.

When I consider 'best', I think of characterization, development, progression and interactivity. JN Ash may be the best in strength but most of the character angle has been either sidelined heavily or done off-screen or in a rushed manner. This is why I believe that DP Ash was the best overall, he had the perfect blend between serious, humble and snarky, he actually progressed on-screen and had great interactions with both his Pokemon as well as his traveling companions.
I have updated the thread title, I was meaning about strength in battles but still feel free to discuss about other aspects of Ash’s Character. No problem with that.

Morax

King of heroes
XY Ash was too static for most of the series, and a bit too 'shonen' like
This meme needs to die. Son Goku and Monkey. D luffy are the poster boys for shounen. SMash is closer to 'le generic shounen protagonist' than XY ash ever was. The latter leans more towards LN/VN protags like kirito from SAO, emiya shirou from fate/stay night, naofumi from shield hero, rudeus from mushoku tensei, rimuru from tensura, Einz oowl gown from overlord etc.

Based on solely strength in battles.

I was given no reason to believe that Iris is a strong trainer, so for now XY Ash, but it'll probably become Journeys Ash because I'm pretty sure Journeys wouldn't skip a Ash v Leon battle.

RafaSceptile

XY ended six years ago please let it go and on top of that I didn’t even insult the show. I’m not sure why a ranking has you irate.
The worst part is that Morax quoted the entertainment rank, which is 100% subjective, not even the strength rank which is a bit more objectively. Talking about this rank, I'm curious about why you ranked JN in the same place as BW, or if this is a temporary rank until Journeys is in progress.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Why bias?
You didn't even bother mentioning the other versions of Ash to begin with. You only mentioned the one you like the most and the one you hate the most. That is bias. Am I wrong? I don't think so.

Also, Alola league is TERRIBLE yes, I agree, I also dislike SM and the Alola league is one of the reasons but feats are feats even if the league accepted fodder trainers. SM Ash and his team's strength is above DP Ash and close or equally to XY Ash. And SM Ash is as very skilled as XY Ash, it's all over the place.

I strongly dislike SM but as I said, feats are feats.
Why I mentioned the best and worse? Cuz the thread asked to memtioned only the strongest and not a full ranking. Just decided to add the strongest for the bottom as well

AJ97

In terms of feats

1) Journey's Ash
2) Kalos Ash
3) Sinnoh Ash

1) Journey's Ash: The anime has always shown Elite four members and Regional Champions to be far above the strength of regular trainers. Granted, this concept is no longer applicable considering how weak Iris was. And before you make arguments about how the Unova Champion can be much weaker than other regional Champions, just to give you some context, Caitlin, from the Elite four, put up a fairly decent fight with Cynthia.
So that means Iris should at the very least, should be able to do the same much better which is definitely very impressive.

So based on this accomplishment alone, Journey's Ash takes the first place.

2) Kalos Ash: This is the first region where Ash actually Puts up an even battle that could've gone either way, against an Elite four Tier Pokemon in the Kalos League. In fact, Alain struggled more against Ash compared to Malva (And this was a relatively weaker Charizard). And a weaker version of the Charizard that fought Malva, held it's own against Steven's Metagross. So this means Ash Greninja was clearly strong enough at its peak, to hold its own against Regional Champion tier pokemon and even maybe defeat elite four-tier Pokemon.
In fact, this is evident based on Ash's test battle against Diantha. While she obviously didn't battle seriously, she definitely was caught off guard mid-battle and knew that she would lose if she didn't take Greninja seriously. And this was a Greninja that had barely reached its full potential.

3) Sinnoh Ash: This spot had to go either to the Alola or Sinnoh Ash. The reason I picked Sinnoh is simply because of the level of competition Ash faced in Sinnoh was much superior to that he faced in Alola. Hence, making his accomplishments far more impressive.
For instance, Paul trumps Gladion any day in terms of skill. Far more experienced, stronger and calculative. Even the quality of trainers in the Sinnoh League, like Barry, Conway, Nando etc were overall much superior to the quality of trainers that took part in the Alola league.

Then we have Tobias and Kukui. Considering the fact that Ash's Torracat beat Kukui's ace, that sort of makes him an inferior trainer to Tobias already. A much more experienced and stronger Sceptile was necessary to take out Tobias's Darkrai (And this was after Darkrai took out Half of Ash's team). In fact, we don't even know whether Darkrai was truly Tobias's ace. While Tobias did use Darkrai a lot and beat the entire league with it, he still had Latios with him. Plus, I recall him acknowledging Ash of being worthy enough to be in the semifinals simply based off the fact that he had to use his second Pokemon. For all you know, his ace was probably a Rayquaza. So Ash being able to take out 2 of Tobias's Pokemon, which no other trainer in the Sinnoh league could've done (With the exception of Paul maybe), is far more impressive than Ash's feats in Alola.

In terms of skill in general, one could say Ash has more or less improved from region to region (With the exception of Unova). This is pretty logical given the fact that one would generally get better and improve with more practice and experience.

AJ97

Hi everyone, welcome to a new edition of "X trainer is weaker than Y trainer because Ash was able to beat X trainer unlike Y trainer"
It's called being Rational. Based of your display picture I can sense the level of bias already.
Instead of spewing rubbish and trying to use an empty mob-based mentality to argue while seeking out like-mindedindividuals, why not argue why Torracat is superior to Sceptile based on feats or Kukui is superior to Tobias.

RafaSceptile

It's called being Rational. Based of your display picture I can sense the level of bias already.
Instead of spewing rubbish and trying to use an empty mob-based mentality to argue while seeking out like-mindedindividuals, why not argue why Torracat is superior to Sceptile based on feats or Kukui is superior to Tobias.
First, because Ash growth as a trainer since DP, which is why he is able to win against stronger trainers like Kukui or Iris in comparison with the Ash from DP.

Second, because Tobias and Kukui have zero correlation so you can't compare how strong they are directly. They are not even from the same series and as I explained before SM Ash has much more experience in battling against strong opponents, there is a reaosn why he faced trainers like Sawyer or Alain in the past.

And third, because we don't know how is Incineroar in battle, so we can't confirm if it is stronger than Sceptile or not.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Please. Kid forgot electric type doesnt work on ground types and poison type is ineffective against steel type. Regression at its peak
Jk. But i do think we hvent seen him use alot of stratergy barring counter the counter way up in the league.
I don't think he forgot electric types don't work on ground types lol, it was more Pikachu doing its own thing if I remember correctly. Also that steel poison thing was more him forgetting Lucario was a steel type than forgetting type matchups and it was done deliberately to set up the Nagandel Tapu Koko strat by the writers. I do think we have, except for Ash Vs Faba he's shown the same wit he shows throughout the anime when it comes to battling. There's no reason to believe SM Ash is weaker than XY ash when he's a continuation of him and has shown no signs of regressing

When I consider 'best', I think of characterization, development, progression and interactivity. JN Ash may be the best in strength but most of the character angle has been either sidelined heavily or done off-screen or in a rushed manner. XY Ash was too static for most of the series, and a bit too 'shonen' like. SM Ash, while much more exhibiting of his hearty personality, was too jarring a shift coming from the previous season and wildly inconsistent at times. And better not even talk about BW Ash.

This is why I believe that DP Ash was the best overall, he had the perfect blend between serious, humble and snarky, he actually progressed on-screen and had great interactions/bonds with both his Pokemon as well as his traveling companions. DP Ash was a natural progression/evolution of the overconfident underdog character we first saw waking up late back in the very first episode, a natural culmination of all his journeys before they started taking his personality and character all over the place with the next few series.

I'm not surprised that some of the votes here are synonymous with "which series is my favorite?" and hence "I'll pick that Ash", while the others think of it in terms of strength alone.
I agree when it comes to best overall it would be DP Ash. However since it was meant for strength I'd go with JN. DP Ash felt the perfect culmination of OS ash and had so much going for him. In comparison every other saga has rebooted his personality with the exception of JN which continued SM's characterization but toned it down a bit.
Why I mentioned the best and worse? Cuz the thread asked to memtioned only the strongest and not a full ranking. Just decided to add the strongest for the bottom as well
Lmao yes you are being biased as hell if you think SM Ash is even weaker than OS or BW Ash. You pretending otherwise is just pathetic lol.

Morax

King of heroes
The worst part is that Morax quoted the entertainment rank, which is 100% subjective, not even the strength rank which is a bit more objectively. Talking about this rank, I'm curious about why you ranked JN in the same place as BW, or if this is a temporary rank until Journeys is in progress.
I quoted "BW>SM>AG/JN" though. Imagine getting triggered over that.