• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who is the Strongest Ash? (2021 Version)

Who is the Strongest Ash?

• Kanto Ash

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Johto Ash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hoenn/Battle Frontier Ash

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Sinnoh Ash

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • Unova Ash

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Kalos Ash

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Alola Ash

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Journeys Ash

Votes: 32 42.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AJ97

Ash peaked in Kalos. It’s been downhill since SM started. He only won the Alola League because the competition was weak besides Gladion.
While I absolutely agree with the fact that Ash's feats in Alola were much inferior to Kalos given the weaker competition, I disagree with the point that Ash dipped in skill. This is very evident based off Ash's feats and performance in journeys so far. Compared to Unova for example where we actually see him struggle against inferior competition compared to Sinnoh, we don't see same happen in Alola. And it's very consistent with Journeys.

Funny enough, I really am shocked why people aren't hyping up Ash's victory over Iris compared to his win in the Alola league. I get that Iris is a companion and was inferior to one of the weakest iterations of Ash, that said, she was still confirmed to be a regional champion and the fact that Ash actually defeated a regional champion is such an amazing feat. So I don't think it's fair to say that it's been downhill since SM.

RafaSceptile

Funny enough, I really am shocked why people aren't hyping up Ash's victory over Iris compared to his win in the Alola league. I get that Iris is a companion and was inferior to one of the weakest iterations of Ash, that said, she was still confirmed to be a regional champion and the fact that Ash actually defeated a regional champion is such an amazing feat. So I don't think it's fair to say that it's been downhill since SM.
Wdym? Peopls that actually enjoy the good things about Journeys were hyped for that. JN is winning the poll for a reason

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Journeys is kind of at the top by default. Wish the writers were better at showing it to us.

Journeys > Kalos > Alola > Sinnoh = Hoenn > Unova = Johto

I agree to most of this, and yeah, but default one could argue that Journeys should end up being the best, but I don't perceive it as such. Sinnoh should be higher-up then Alola, or an '=' at least. Naganadel isn't a permanent team-member, nor could I see it do much against Gliscor considering its moveset is horrible against Ground/Flying (aside from Dragon Pulse). Melmetal's supposed strength was hamfisted and evenso, it only has one win that wasn't comedic, get around Double IronBash and your fine. Incineroar has barely any feats comparable to Infernape's wreckage of the latter Sinnoh gyms and would likely lose the 1v1-matchup. Lycanroc is the go-to-doggo in my eyes of Alola and I rate it higher then Incineroar, but I don't see it winning against Torterra (which is a powerhouse when the story isn't deadset on glorifying Infernape (vs. Volkner/Paul)(see Grotle vs. Palmer, Torterra vs. Bertha the story still dictated that Ash couldn't win, but the performance still shows that Torterra isn't as weak as people just looking up a w/l-claim it to be)) - Buizel could also be a solid match against Lycanroc, or at least chip at its health to let Torterra finish it off. And then you have Staraptor absolutely destroying Rowlet.

Unova > Johto. I'm a Johto fan, but what would that team do against Pignite, Krookodile and Leavanny throw in Boldore and the only thing Johto can hope is that Heracross can do something. Note that I only consider the teams as they were in the series they finished their original runs. So Donphan and Quilava are still a pisspoor Phanpy and stronger then usual Cyndaquil and Noctowl still had a semi-useless moveset compared to its DP-return moveset.

Wdym? Peopls that actually enjoy the good things about Journeys were hyped for that. JN is winning the poll for a reason

Journeys is the most recent show. There's probably quite a few that didn't watch OS/AG/DP or even BW when they first aired..

I mean Ash beat Drake first try and he was considered the champion of the Orange Islands in the animé. Ash came ridiculously close to beating Tyson and he went on to win the Hoenn League, Ash was the only guy who defeated Tobias' Darkrai in the entirety of Sinnoh (in this case, whichever opponent Tobias' needed to beat in order to progress to the league victory).

Yes, Ash beat 'champion' Iris. But Iris was never portrayed as very effective (aside with her Drilbur-streak and Excadrill) and was always seen as intraining at best. With regards to Ash's victory over Gladion, at least Gladion was shown as an impressive battler for the entirety of his stay on the show. I can only assume people don't rate the Iris-battle as highly is because the writers hamfisted Iris into her gamecounterpart with very little actual progress shown and a lot of it being phoned in by Drayden. Also, Ash's Journey Dragons have received VERY little development and the Dracovish win came off as badly as Gible beating Conway's Shuckle/Dusknoir.

I mean, it's kinda sad that it was Melmetal doing the most damage to Silvally during that battle, because Melmetal was just as hamfisted onto Ash's team as Iris' 'champion'-status. Just as much as how gimmicky Meltan's win over Shaba was as Dracovish's win over Iris' Dragonite.

GGuitarGuy95

Journeys Ash. Ash has made progress each Region, except BW. If we’re talking Team wise, I’d argue his XY team is probably the strongest. His Kanto/Johto Team is a close second.

charinija

Pokemon Master
I think Ash's progress has been orderly in every series.

I think there was no development between Kalos and Alola alone. But Alola also became a champion.

Ash is only weak in the first 2 seasons. Especially in the first season, Ash was not good at anything.

In Johto, Ash has added some improvement.

In Hoenn it took to another level.

Sinnoh is the pinnacle of development. He is now Dawn's role model.

It actually developed in Unova as well. But the writers did not give him good pokemon.

I think Kalos is already a masterpiece.

Although Alola seems to be in decline, Ash became the champion.

He is now at the level of teaching Koharu and Goh in Journeys. Ash is a role model now.

The İris was shown stronger than it should have been. So he will test his real strength against Leon.

Last edited:

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
I think Ash's progress has been orderly in every series.

I think there was no development between Kalos and Alola alone. But Alola also became a champion.

Ash is only weak in the first 2 seasons. Especially in the first season, Ash was not good at anything.

In Johto, Ash has added some improvement.

In Hoenn it took to another level.

Sinnoh is the pinnacle of development. She is now Dawn's role model.

It actually developed in Unova as well. But the writers did not give him good pokemon.

I think Kalos is already a masterpiece.

Although Alola seems to be in decline, Ash became the champion.

He is now at the level of teaching Koharu and Goh in Journeys. Ash is a role model now.

The İris was shown stronger than it should have been. So he will test his real strength against Leon.
This felt like you composed a Poem/Prose glorifying Ash.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I'd argue early OS was where Ash was at his weakest. As battle driven as the series was, being battle driven is not the only qualifier for strongest. Strongest requires both brains and sheer power. Ash's team clearly had power, I won't dispute that, but Ash clearly had a lot of growing to do if he wanted to grow stronger.

Jers745

I dont know :p
I'd argue early OS was where Ash was at his weakest. As battle driven as the series was, being battle driven is not the only qualifier for strongest. Strongest requires both brains and sheer power. Ash's team clearly had power, I won't dispute that, but Ash clearly had a lot of growing to do if he wanted to grow stronger.
Then i think it had more to do with his responsabilities as a trainer than his battle skills

SatoSereFan224888

While I absolutely agree with the fact that Ash's feats in Alola were much inferior to Kalos given the weaker competition, I disagree with the point that Ash dipped in skill. This is very evident based off Ash's feats and performance in journeys so far. Compared to Unova for example where we actually see him struggle against inferior competition compared to Sinnoh, we don't see same happen in Alola. And it's very consistent with Journeys.

Ash from SM onwards is so immature compared to his Kalos adventures. Iris in the anime is far inferior to her game counterparts. Also I felt Ash didn’t lose the Kalos League. He got screwed out of winning the Kalos League in my honest opinion.

RafaSceptile

Ash from SM onwards is so immature compared to his Kalos adventures. Iris in the anime is far inferior to her game counterparts. Also I felt Ash didn’t lose the Kalos League. He got screwed out of winning the Kalos League in my honest opinion.
Being "inmature"=/= being weaker. He just acted much more childish than XY Ash, but his battle experience or strength was around the same level, and even when people were claiming that Ash doesn't deserves the Alola League champion title, he won against the strongest trainer in Alola.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Then i think it had more to do with his responsabilities as a trainer than his battle skills
Well, responsibilities and discipline are major components of mastery of anything in literary traditions of the Sinosphere, so why not Pokemon?
The idea that Ash "didn't lose the Kalos League" is pure nonsense. You can feel anything you like, but your feelings are not backed up by any facts.

Jers745

I dont know :p
This is so inmature, please madurity doesnt mean he has to be super serious that he is a bit childish is his trait since the begining and it has never changed, also through alola and journeys ash has showed that he can be serious when needed to be
Well, responsibilities and discipline are major components of mastery of anything in the Sinosphere, so why not Pokemon?
Yeah your right

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
journeys ash has showed that he can be serious when needed to be
Don't know about you, but I'd consider getting ready to fight a giant alien hand a serious moment.

Not a moment to make "funny" faces.

Last edited:

Morax

King of heroes
Don't about you, but I'd consider getting ready to fight a giant alien hand a serious moment.

Not a moment to make "funny" faces.
There's a time and place for everything. SM/Journeys insert them gags everywhere which completely kills the tension.