• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who is your favorite of Ash's rival so far?

Favorite of Ash's rivals

• Gary

Votes: 53 36.1%
  • Casey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paul

Votes: 73 49.7%
  • Barry

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Conway

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Nando

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trip

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Bianca

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Stephan

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now since we have been through 5 generations of the Pokémon anime, there have been a large cast of rivals whether it be main rivals, secondary rivals, League rivals, Grand Festival rivals, etc. And while I would love to be able to fit all of them in one poll, I could only use up to 10 options. So what I have decided to do is create 3 different threads. One for the League rivals, one for Ash's main rivals and the other for the sidekicks' rivals. This would be a good way of getting more of your favorite rivals as an option on the poll and while that still doesn't mean I'll be able to get every rival as their own option on the poll, this will certainly help to put most of the fan favorites as their own options.

So this is for your favorite rival of Ash's.

Last edited:

J Ken

RAVE
Shooty/Trip FTW.

Luthor

i liked Gary and i always thought there was much more they could've done with trip but I found Paul the most interesting.

Dancing Togekiss

Gary was good because he was the original, had a reason the be a rival and also was was a decent battler.
Paul was basically Gary but clashed even more with Ash, was even better at battling and was just interesting in General.
Trip seemed good at first. Over confident because he beat a nerfed Pikachu. Howvere as the seires went on he bacme more useless and did less and less. The only decent pokemon we saw that he had was his serperior.

So really, I think Paul was the best. I hope they have a guy like Paul next Gen except he is nice to his pokemon and ties into the Legendary. It would be interesting.

tailsxcream fan

Pokemon Master
Paul he was the most interesting rival in my option with his battle style and type of pokemon.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Gary because even though he was a jerk, he actually pushed Ash to try harder and he ended up being a friend after he ended his rivalry with Ash.

BlueDragonfangirl

Trip doesn't count as a rival silly, Ash and him don't even really have a rivalry that much.

My favorite is Paul, he really pushed Ash with different types of battling skills and emotions, it was good.

gohan5

Irisboy
Gary and then Trip.

Gary was the rival, but it went deeper than that. They grew up together, the two of them are almost like brothers so they knew each other extremely well. Not to mention Gary always knew how to push Ash in just the right way, which was something he needed back then. Gary was a major driving force for Ash and part of the reason he has become the trainer he is today.

Trip was somewhat of a prodigy. He seemed to always be slightly ahead of Ash, despite the major gap in experience. He reminded people that no matter how good you think you are at something there can always be someone better. Though he wasn't without fault and he learned a lot more from Ash than the other way around. In this sense I think he was good for Ash, he gave him a reason to put that experience to good use.

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!
I would vote Paul due to how much he pushed Ash but to be honest I really like gary not just because he was funny and was more talk than action when it came to battling but also because he literally matured over time. You don't usually see this in the show considering there's lots of resetting.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Paul, because he really pushed Ash to his limits and appeared quite often. Gary is a close second, since he had a great personality and forced Ash to improve, but he rarely appeared.

Flame_22

My pick would be Paul. Paul seems to be the only one that really pushes Ash all the way. Furthermore, he has lots of trick up his sleeves such as sacrificing his first few Pokemon just to find out his competitors tactics, line up, etc.

idawnhikari

No Need to Worry!
I'd say Gary was the coolest Rival for Ash. Paul was a bit more harsh but Gary was good trainer to his pokemon despite picking on Ash at the same time. The last battle that they had
in the indigo league is still the best rival battle to me.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Who the heck voted for Bianca and Trip...

I had a toss up between Gary and Paul, but ultimately choose Paul for one reason, he actually represents the player audience perfectly. Wanting the best Pokemon, leaving nothing unevolved, and developing unique strategy's...

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
I can't believe people like paul. He was a jerk. Gary is where it's at!

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I loved Paul, he had this strict training that has him releasing something that he deems "not by his standards" just like stereotypical competitive players do. I also think he had a great voice.

I like them all, but I liked Gary the most. Paul was Ash's coolest rival, while Trip was the most calm and collected. Gary was the funniest and original, so the nod for me goes to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.