• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who is your favorite of Ash's rival so far?

Favorite of Ash's rivals

• Gary

Votes: 53 36.1%
  • Casey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paul

Votes: 73 49.7%
  • Barry

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Conway

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Nando

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trip

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Bianca

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Stephan

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
i choose gary since he actually uses alot of my favorite pokemon and is always ahead of ash

Izzyaudino

Gary. Because hes Gary Oak.

haha... well not really, I just really love Gary's personality. He's such a Jerk. And i love it uwu

besides him, i really love cameron

His team was awesome and he made me LOL a lot. And if nate was in the anime, i think he would be like him for some reason. Maybe it is because he has a lucario... hmmm...

Izzyaudino

I like Bianca and Barry. They both made me laugh so hard.

I always wondered if Bianca and Barry were related somehow XD

They both look rather similar and act the same way.

Outburstz

Even though Paul is a beast and has a real argument to be #1 I just can't pick him over Gary. Dude was just so funny I mean he had a car cheerleaders and made fun of Ash at every turn. If Ash did something Gary did it better I just loved that dynamic.

PanchamSquirtle

My pick is Paul and nobody else even comes close. Not even Gary.

Ash & Paul's rivalry is what really made me love DP and make it my favorite Pokemon series. They had some fantastic battles and Paul made Ash become a better trainer.

They were total opposites and made for a lot of drama between them.

Also, I loved the Chimchar storyline.

Akarui Hoshi

The Bright Star
Paul. He just seemed so legit, it's tough to explain. I place him over Gary because I feel like Gary was significant not because of his actual role in the anime, but because he resembled Blue/your Rival from RBY. When I think about it really, Ash rarely ever battled Gary, I know they were childhood rivals or whatever, but I didn't see much of it in the actual anime storyline. Whereas Ash had plenty of battles against Paul. I found it interesting cause to me, it didn't actually seem like a "rivalry" at the beginning, cause they weren't really equals, Paul was always ahead of Ash. But I think when Paul found out about Ash beating the Battle Frontier (an achievement he didn't have), then it became an actual rivalry instead of Paul just outclassing Ash, and I thought that was really cool.

Last edited:

TheMewster

Pokémon Connoisseur
Paul, hands down!
Had the best character development than any rival of Ash's in my opinion...

Zorupix

Master of Illusions
Gary MF Oak. This guy was a true rival, and always gave Ash a hard time. And Gary even got some character development. In the end, he ended up wanting to follow in his grandfather's footsteps. Ash's rivalry with Gary was the central driving force behind Ash's first journey. And what other rival do you see with his own team of cheerleaders? That's right. Only Gary. And who got ten gym badges when there are only eight gyms? Gary MF Oak.

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
I don't think anyone beat's good old classic Gary lol. Though I must say Barry and Bianca were pretty fun too :3 Espesally Barry, he was hallerious.

Sprinter1988

They all had their up-sides, but I chose Paul as he was actually a constant presense in the DP series, being seen, mentioned or alluded to very often. He was somebody who was slightly stronger than Ash, had just as much experiance as him and was actually a driving force in the series in terms of making Ash want to better himself and for helping Ash's bonds with his pokemon grow stronger. With Gary, Ash always seemed to be playing catch-up and to me Trip never felt like a suitable rival character, being an over-powered beginner just didn't feel right.

Everyone else had a "friendly rival" thing going.

Crystal Clair

Shinji was of course, though I now really which that they'd attempt to make an interesting rival again. Maybe somewhere between Shinji and Ash. Someone who still isn't completely friendly with Ash but doesn't downright abuse their Pokemon, though not someone who goes out of their way to make fun of Ash.

But they just didn't feel they could top Shinji so they added Shooti.

It's hard to believe that Shinji is 7 years old now and has been gone for over an entire arc. Though it's not like I'm currently obsessing over any Pokemon characters at the moment.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
gary, partially because I like the original anime but also because he would have made an excellent trainer, he had a high level of common sense, cared for his pokemon, and he caught a large number of them and he knew how to ratate between them properly ash only managed to beat him because of charizard. its a shame he decided to retire but whatever.
though I am not surprised to see that paul has the most votes since like gary he had a high level of common sense and knew how to train his pokemon to become tough his only major flaws were his extremely picky nature, his harshness, his tendencies to be a jerk, so to sum it all up he was a good trainer but a jerk(not bashing)

ArcaneStar

Village Idiot
I chose Paul mainly because he was the exact opposite of Ash and it was certainly interesting to see them challenge each other's ideals. Although you have to admit that Paul was always intended to be one of Ash's greatest (if not the greatest) Rivals. The Sinnoh Saga was basically "Ash vs. Paul" and Ash did grow a lot as a trainer due to Paul. Now if we can get an equally challenging rival in XY who's has more of a comradarie feel but is practically Ash's equal in battling that would be great. Basically a "Cameron done right."

I find Gary to be my favorite, he has much development (unlike Ash who regressed in BW) since the anime begin.

Pink Harzard

So majestic
Gary.
In the first seasons I disiked him for being a jerk, but he has grown a lot. He is helping Prof. Oak and knows a lot about Pokémon. Ash can definitely learn a lot from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.