• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who is your favourite Gen 8 starter so far?

Who is your favourite Gen 8 starter so far?

• Grookey (Grass)

Votes: 52 26.9%
  • Scorbunny (Fire)

Votes: 74 38.3%
  • Sobble (Water)

Votes: 90 46.6%

• Total voters

Dragon Pulse

^Veiled chameleons are common pets in Britain because most chameleons need damp climates, but Sobble has more common features with salamanders, which Britain has plenty of.

Don't look too deeply onto the "Lizard" label. Salandit-line and Charmander are also called lizards, even though both of them are salamanders.

I never said it was a lizard lol... I don't know why you're so fixated on that. Its a water type lol... Its obviously a crested newt if you ask me.
Sobble has traits of chameleons, and its legs and tail are literally similar to a chameleon's. I don't see the salamander/newt concept in it at all.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Well i used to loved bunnys as a kid,so i go for Scorbunny but final decition will be based on their final evolution.

The first stuffed animal I had ever gotten as a child was a pink/white rabbit that I used to hold in my arms a lot and bring to places with me, so getting Scorbunny as my starter would be very fitting. I personally don’t care how its final evolution turns out, as long as it stays one of my best friends fo evah :D

Oh, and I got nothing against the other starters. They are all great and look nice together as a set, especially with those super round heads.

Last edited:

BlackButterfree

I'm in the minority, but I love Grookey. Scorbunny's legs freak me out (they look just like Meowth's, who isn't designed to be bipedal in the first place, and is only shown that way in games because of Team Rocket's Meowth), and Sobble is just weird-looking.

Creyk

The bunny has a lot of potential and I never preferred the fire starter before now.

PocketMonsterRealm

Since Crystal
I'm going with Sobble so far. All of the starters look great and seem to ALL have great potential. Grookey is my runner up.
For Sobble, I am hoping for a large lizard. Like a Water Monitor or Iguana, but it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up having something to do with the phrase of "Crocodile Tears". I hope for something on all fours and monstrous/cool.
For Grookey, I am hoping for a Lemur mostly, but a furry cute monkey with a long tail will do, that is a martial artist with a staff. Grass Fighting. However I could see it come out as Fairy. I know may seem like a silly reason but, i heard the grass is suppose to be feminine by pattern which I know is something that is pretty much made up by the fandom, and he made the grass regrow and sparkle in the trailer. So I wonder if it goes this route if its stick will be like wand or baton something.
For Scorbunny, I do think he will be electric and be a great pokemon but nothing in particular comes to mind to me. Maybe in the pose of a runner about to take off? Perhaps have a broken clock face somewhere or holding a broken pocketwatch running against time. I kinda think of a reference to the white bunny from Alice in Wonderland.

JohnLynch

I'm in the minority, but I love Grookey. Scorbunny's legs freak me out (they look just like Meowth's, who isn't designed to be bipedal in the first place, and is only shown that way in games because of Team Rocket's Meowth), and Sobble is just weird-looking.
I dont get the wobble interest either. I'll be going Grookey as well. I love monkeys and would have thought it would be the most popular option myself.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I bloody love Scorbunny.

It is actually the first Fire starter I legitimately favored over the other two. I'm pretty excited to choose it as my starting pokemon.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
I’m team Sobble for now, but look forward to the evolutions to see if they change my mind since they have done most generations, last gen was the first gen since gen 3 where I liked all 3 stages of the starter and stuck with my initial decision.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Sobble has won both the Japanese and the Twitter poll. I'm honestly so surprised by sobble being the fan favourite... I thought everyone would hate it.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Sobble has won both the Japanese and the Twitter poll. I'm honestly so surprised by sobble being the fan favourite... I thought everyone would hate it.

It's a small, cute creature that cries all the time. That's basically candy to the depressed adult audience.

Scorbunny still tops the Galar starter ranking for me, though. Sobble's a good second. But the final evos are what'll really determine the best one.

firepanda

Colour me very underwhelmed. All three starters are bland — green monkey, red bunny, blue ...thing.

fabac29069e06d7fd2e17e9124105d44d80a9388r1-739-415v2_128.jpg

Sobble is my favourite. Objectively, the design is boring, blue and blobby — but chameleons are cool and I still think it's kinda cute. I wish the head wasn't so big though — they get bigger every generation.

0507859f5d0ee762fbf2aabd1bbe680f15424577r1-900-900v2_128.jpg

Grookey is the blandest of the bland. I have no feelings on the matter, because it is impossible to muster any strong feelings about Grookey. It is the 18th monkey Pokemon in the national dex. It is Green because it is a Grass type. It has zero distinguishing features or characteristics.

bugs_bunny_whisper.png

Why do all the fire starters end up kinda Furry? For four generations in a row now, the fire starter's final form has been a bipedal mammal. I like fire types, but I've given up on ever picking a fire starter, since they always end up prancing around on their hind legs in a much-too-human way. I have very low hopes for Scorbunny, which once again is the most cartoonish and anthropomorphic of the lot.

RoySceptile

Bakaner
Grookey.
I'm a fan of Infernape, so I'm really hoping we get another speedy monkey. Personally hoping for the Grass/Rock type going around.

Honestly just hoping all the starters have good stat spreads and typings.

gwen-watson

A Marvel Baby
I love all three. But admittedly have a bad feeling Scorbunny is gonna be another Fire/Fighting. Grookey is cute but hard to pinpoint so far. Grass/Psychic maybe?

But I'm LOVING Sobble. I typically pick water starters anyway, but Sobble really stood out. He looks perpetually umbothered and I hope he ends up super awesome in his final form.

NidokingJ

Addicted2Pokemon
I’m going to go with Grookey, his name is awesome and he’s a monkey, one of my favorite kind of animals. I’m thinking he will be Grass/Fighting perhaps for the third evo. And I’m fine with that, Verizon is the only one I can think with that typing atm. Flying weakness but I can maybe train up a rock or steel mon to counter act this.

Scorbunny is cool and maybe looks like he can become a fire/ground typing (since bunny’s like to be ground types)

Sobble looks interesting and stealthy hoping his final typing is ghost because how awesome would it be to have a water ghost starter mon evo.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I’m going to go with Grookey, his name is awesome and he’s a monkey, one of my favorite kind of animals. I’m thinking he will be Grass/Fighting perhaps for the third evo. And I’m fine with that, Verizon is the only one I can think with that typing atm. Flying weakness but I can maybe train up a rock or steel mon to counter act this.

Scorbunny is cool and maybe looks like he can become a fire/ground typing (since bunny’s like to be ground types)

Sobble looks interesting and stealthy hoping his final typing is ghost because how awesome would it be to have a water ghost starter mon evo.
Chesnaught & Breloom

KKS-Lapras

I really do hope with Scorbunny's final evolution, they do something unexpected, at least from past precedent. It's not my favorite this Gen, the awesome Sobble holds that distinction, but with Scorbunny, it does seem like it could hold potential. It's the first Fire starter in several generations that starts out bipedal. What if it goes the opposite direction of past Fire starters, what if it becomes a quadruped?

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
#TeamSobble!

That makes it in terms of base stages:

Gen 1: Charmander
Gen 2: Totodile
Gen 3: Mudkip
Gen 4: Turtwig
Gen 5: Snivy
Gen 6: Fennekin
Gen 7: All of them.
Gen 8: Sobble

I loved Popplio the most initially with Litten as huge close second! Glad I’m able to love base Water starters again! Popplio evolves into an elegant Pokémon named Primarina so hopefully Sobble can give the same impact! Maybe it’ll be a repeat like Gen VII where I liked Incineroar and Primarina equally and another Galar starter joins up with Sobble!

Arcticwolf10

My favorite is currently Scorbunny as he is precious and I’m generally biased towards Fire Types anyways (though my bottom two starters are Infernape and Emboar) but Sobble is an extremely close second as I just want to snuggle him Grookey is my least favorite since I already am not fond of monkey Pokémon but he reminds me too much of Pansage and I absolutely LOATHE the elemental monkeys

KKS-Lapras

It's a small, cute creature that cries all the time. That's basically candy to the depressed adult audience.

I missed this comment til I was scanning through the thread again. This is so accurate. Sobble so fits the emotional state of so many currently, it's uncanny.