• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who is your favourite Gen 8 starter so far?

Who is your favourite Gen 8 starter so far?

• Grookey (Grass)

Votes: 52 26.9%
  • Scorbunny (Fire)

Votes: 74 38.3%
  • Sobble (Water)

Votes: 90 46.6%

• Total voters

ditto247

some people early on talked about how these three starters have similar body shape, too which scorbunny really doesn't fit that description, to me at least.

others said they seem shorter then past starters/too short, i don't get why a starter's height in any way matters. scorbunny also appears taller then some past base stage starters, could be because of its being bipedal and/or it's ears, so i don't get what that group were basing their point on.

then there were those upset that we have a second monkey starter. grookey is so different from chimchar, and i suspect its final evolution will be nothing like infernape. also, do said people really want to rule out similar animals being able to be used as inspirations for future starters, do they really want to eliminate the possibility of, say, another snake based starter, seems like really silly restriction to have.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
do said people really want to rule out similar animals being able to be used as inspirations for future starters,

Yes ppl do. See what happened when you suggest a Pokemon based on a wolly mammoth.

Lots of people consider it lazy to repeat animal inspirations. And while I can to some degree understand not wanting yet another {random animal} when we haven't seen a {potentially even more random, or less random animal}, I also don't see it as lazy. It's still a different Pokemon, a different monkey, a different rabrab, and a different chameleon.

Plus we don't know what the final stage may be.

All that to say I'm still Team Grookey, even if my most feared thing becomes a reality aka repeating a type already used with a Grass Starter.

KKS-Lapras

Yes ppl do. See what happened when you suggest a Pokemon based on a wolly mammoth.

Lots of people consider it lazy to repeat animal inspirations. And while I can to some degree understand not wanting yet another {random animal} when we haven't seen a {potentially even more random, or less random animal}, I also don't see it as lazy. It's still a different Pokemon, a different monkey, a different rabrab, and a different chameleon.

All that to say I'm still Team Grookey, even if my most feared thing becomes a reality aka repeating a type already used with a Grass Starter.
Which typing are you suspecting?

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Which typing are you suspecting?

You mean for types I don't want?

The main 2 I don't want are Grass/Fighting or Grass/Ground. Sure they both work in ways.... But we have seen both combos used with starters, and I want to tap unused starter type combos.

Add to that we have like 3 Grass/Fighting types (and sure only 1 Grass/Ground).

Also.... Let's avoid /Fighting starters for a while as well as /Fighting monkey/ape if we can.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I'm so sick of people being like "Grookey smacked a rock in the trailer that means he's gonna be a rock type"

Scorbunny slid across grass, does that mean he's gonna be grass?
Sobble was in a stone fountain so he MUST be a rock type too, right?

Kaddy2009

I'm all for Grookey, but I love Scobble too: maybe when their evolved forms are revealed, it'll make my decision easier, but I'm really hoping that Scobble is a ghost type: it just looks that way for me.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
For now I'm #TeamSobble, but certainly like many others this could change. There are 2 things that could change this, one is what many people expect, but one may be something haven't considered as a reason to change my starter pick, and I didn't expect it the first time it just happened, it just did. Let me explain. The way I will go through these 2 reasons that could happen is directly by giving direct examples of what I went through the last 2 gens.

Last gen: Rowlet at first, became Popplio upon final evolution reveal, less because of design and more because of Fairy type. For me, the main reason final evolution can change my choice is due to its secondary type not its design, but I see why design matters for others.

Two gens ago: This is the surprising one. I was Fennekin all along, even including final evolutions, but what changed my mind was the reveal that we will also get a Kanto starter. Because I wanted Charmander, I knew I didn't want 2 Firestarters so I switched to Froakie. So, while less likely, if a game mechanic that is yet unforeseen makes me change my mind, that could happen too.

Grookey is yet again, another monkey. But This time it’s a cute one. (Don’t worry Aipom you’re still cuter). I wish it gets a feminine looking design in the end like Popplio did <3
I wish if it was more like this, aw!
Z1rotid.png

I need time to warm up to Sobble. It’s generic.

That looks like a Furby.

I'm in love with Scorbunny.

I hope it evovles into a Football player with a tracksuit fur motif. I can See Sobble turning into a Loch ness Monster sail boat thing and Grookey maybe being a Neanderthall cricket player.

I agree that they may take UK inspiration, but I doubt it would be two sports, ya know? If one is sports and one is myths, maybe the third would be something else UK-related, such as, say, royalty, or something.

I love the memes coming from all 3

I'm wondering who is going to be the main meme starter this generation. A lot of times, it takes a few years, during a generation, and even after it, to determine who was the true meme starter of that generation, especially because the anime is the cause for a lot of memes. From my perspective, the first five gens featured a Water meme starter, and the most recent 2 have featured a Grass meme starter, so I'm wondering whether the Firestarter will finally be the meme starter.

Squirtle: mostly due to Ash's squirtle and Squirtle Squad memes
Totodile: again mostly due to Ash's Totodile but just in general its goofy appearance and voice caused it to be the meme starter
Mudkip: mostly due to that YouTube video challenge, but again taken from the anime
Piplup: huge anime influence on this one with Dawn's Piplup
Oshawott, Chespin, Rowlet: looking and acting like goofballs, mostly in the anime, although Chespin and Rowlet memes started as soon as they were revealed

I'm so sick of people being like "Grookey smacked a rock in the trailer that means he's gonna be a rock type"

Scorbunny slid across grass, does that mean he's gonna be grass?
Sobble was in a stone fountain so he MUST be a rock type too, right?

I think predicting types that have not yet occurred for starter final evolutions is not that far of a reach at all actually.

Taking Normal and Dragon out of the picture, because I don't think they'll ever happen, 2 gens ago, the ones that had not yet happened were Dark, Ghost, Fairy, Psychic, Electric, Rock, Bug, Ice

In Gen VI, they made Psychic and Dark happen.
In Gen VII, they made Ghost and Fairy happen.

From my perspective, it does appear that during the last 2 generations they've actually taken care to introduce new starter final evolution types that hadn't been used before. It obviously could have been a coincidence but I genuinely believe they're looking at the types they haven't used yet and trying to make it happen. It's too much of a coincidence otherwise (imo) for 4 of the 6 types the last 2 gens to be brand new.

In that sense, I don't think that all that people guessing Rock for Grookey or Electric for Scorbunny is unreasonable.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
For now I'm #TeamSobble, but certainly like many others this could change. There are 2 things that could change this, one is what many people expect, but one may be something haven't considered as a reason to change my starter pick, and I didn't expect it the first time it just happened, it just did. Let me explain. The way I will go through these 2 reasons that could happen is directly by giving direct examples of what I went through the last 2 gens.

Last gen: Rowlet at first, became Popplio upon final evolution reveal, less because of design and more because of Fairy type. For me, the main reason final evolution can change my choice is due to its secondary type not its design, but I see why design matters for others.

Two gens ago: This is the surprising one. I was Fennekin all along, even including final evolutions, but what changed my mind was the reveal that we will also get a Kanto starter. Because I wanted Charmander, I knew I didn't want 2 Firestarters so I switched to Froakie. So, while less likely, if a game mechanic that is yet unforeseen makes me change my mind, that could happen too.

That looks like a Furby.

I agree that they may take UK inspiration, but I doubt it would be two sports, ya know? If one is sports and one is myths, maybe the third would be something else UK-related, such as, say, royalty, or something.

I'm wondering who is going to be the main meme starter this generation. A lot of times, it takes a few years, during a generation, and even after it, to determine who was the true meme starter of that generation, especially because the anime is the cause for a lot of memes. From my perspective, the first five gens featured a Water meme starter, and the most recent 2 have featured a Grass meme starter, so I'm wondering whether the Firestarter will finally be the meme starter.

Squirtle: mostly due to Ash's squirtle and Squirtle Squad memes
Totodile: again mostly due to Ash's Totodile but just in general its goofy appearance and voice caused it to be the meme starter
Mudkip: mostly due to that YouTube video challenge, but again taken from the anime
Piplup: huge anime influence on this one with Dawn's Piplup
Oshawott, Chespin, Rowlet: looking and acting like goofballs, mostly in the anime, although Chespin and Rowlet memes started as soon as they were revealed

I think predicting types that have not yet occurred for starter final evolutions is not that far of a reach at all actually.

Taking Normal and Dragon out of the picture, because I don't think they'll ever happen, 2 gens ago, the ones that had not yet happened were Dark, Ghost, Fairy, Psychic, Electric, Rock, Bug, Ice

In Gen VI, they made Psychic and Dark happen.
In Gen VII, they made Ghost and Fairy happen.

From my perspective, it does appear that during the last 2 generations they've actually taken care to introduce new starter final evolution types that hadn't been used before. It obviously could have been a coincidence but I genuinely believe they're looking at the types they haven't used yet and trying to make it happen. It's too much of a coincidence otherwise (imo) for 4 of the 6 types the last 2 gens to be brand new.

In that sense, I don't think that all that people guessing Rock for Grookey or Electric for Scorbunny is unreasonable.
I think Smugleaf Snivy was more of a meme for Gen 5

SoulRebel726

I get that, but I also feel like there is a difference between "woolly mammoth" and "monkey." One is a bit more rare than the other. I mean, how many mouse Pokemon do we have? I don't really view that as a problem as long as they differentiate themselves enough. A monkey feels like a pretty broad category to just do one.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Nodame

Misty <3
I have a feeling Grookey will be the Popplio of the three and will have a majestic evolution in the end, I hope so..

Last edited:

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I get that, but I also feel like there is a difference between "woolly mammoth" and "monkey." One is a bit more rare than the other. I mean, how many mouse Pokemon do we have? I don't really view that as a problem as long as they differentiate themselves enough. A monkey feels like a pretty broad category to just do one.

I think I did say what I was trying to right. What I was getting at is that some folks care to much and think one rep is enough.

And in the case of Mamoswine that's crazy. It's not based on a wolly mammoth, it's based on a mammoth swine, as in a mammoth (meaning huge) and swine.

So a wolly mammoth Pokemon (as in one based on an ancient exctinct elephant) should happen. And shouldn't be not an option just cause. We have a pig that seems like it might be based on aspects of a wolly mammoth.

ChavaWM

Do people want sobble to be on 2 legs, 4, or change the legs for flippers like some sort of plesiosaur? Maybe even just 2 front legs and legless lizard like body

ShadowForce720

Do people want sobble to be on 2 legs, 4, or change the legs for flippers like some sort of plesiosaur? Maybe even just 2 front legs and legless lizard like body

Well I don't know about the others, but for me personally I would say as long as the design looks cool, I won't mind what they go for when it comes to limbs.

Like for instance even though this was fake the design of Sobble potential final evolution from this rumor which is fake, I thought was pretty neat here is the link someone posted that shows the design I'm talking about:

I'm unsure if this is real or not, but this image has been making rounds on my social media and it could potentially be the final evolutions of the starters.

View at your own risk: boards.4channel.org/vp/thread/37803130 (you will have to click the Pokéball to see it)

Last edited:

SoulRebel726

I think I did say what I was trying to right. What I was getting at is that some folks care to much and think one rep is enough.

And in the case of Mamoswine that's crazy. It's not based on a wolly mammoth, it's based on a mammoth swine, as in a mammoth (meaning huge) and swine.

So a wolly mammoth Pokemon (as in one based on an ancient exctinct elephant) should happen. And shouldn't be not an option just cause. We have a pig that seems like it might be based on aspects of a wolly mammoth.

I'm not at all against a woolly mammoth Pokemon, just as I'm not against another monkey. We're going to be on 1,000 Pokemon soon, so I have no issue with taking inspiration from the same animal multiple times.

Peter Harrison

So far my favourite is Scorbunny. But I want to see all the final evolutions first.