• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who might win in a battle Gary vs Paul?

Gary vs Paul

• Gary

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Paul

Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

silent_control

Gary Oak vs Paul. Who might win? Paul, who has proven to be a serious opponent for Ash, or Gary, Ash's first rival?

I'd choose Gary, because he has caught more Pokemon than Paul, and now being a researcher he has more knowledge of Pokemon. Also even when Gary was a trainer he seemed to be more attached to his Pokemon than Paul was to his own Pokepals.

Josef Stylin

I want to dye
This is a tough choice, but I'd say Paul.

I mean, I do think Gary trains his pokemon too, but since he focuses more on being a researcher, I don't think he focuses on training his pokemon as much as Paul probably does.

Yeah, it is a tough choice, but I am gonna lean towards Paul, and I'll tell you why. As much as people hate Paul and his training methods, it got him all the way to the Final 8 of the Sinnoh League which was a huge accomplishment. Sure, he looked like a weakling next to Cynthia but I mean come on she's the champion. And he didn't do well at all against Brandon (again, a very strong trainer). There's not much to base this on though since we really haven't seen Paul and Gary in action at all really except against Ash.

I agree with Bullkid. Gary is now a researcher so he is obviously spending less time training now and it showed when he was defeated by Commander Saturn and Hunter J and her grunts. Blastoise used to be a powerhouse and the fact that he went down so easily against either Hunter J or Saturn (I forget) is really telling. I know Galactic and Hunter J train their Pokemon but probably not to the extent that a Pokemon trainer would.

Gary is all talk when it comes to Pokemon battling I think. He is good don't get me wrong, but in the Indigo League, he was out rather early and in Johto, he did do better but not as good as Paul did in Sinnoh. We don't know how Paul was as a trainer in the beginning so we can't really judge. Gary had some impressive one on one wins against Ash, but Paul's first six on six battle really showed how strong Paul could be.

Like I said, we can't judge too much since we didn't see Gary battle that much, but I will say Paul. Paul is still training hard as we speak.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I'd say it depends on when the battle takes place. If this is Johto League Gary, then I'd say Gary all the way. He has powerful Pokémon and is still skilled as a trainer. If this is Sinnoh Gary, then I'd say Paul since Gary's out of practice.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
It's difficult to choice. Paul is still training but Gary could show some hidden tricks and make good use of the knowledge he got as researcher.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Gary, because when I was a kid I wanted to marry him.

Don't question my choice, m'kay? :I

Uh, okayyy?

I had an attraction to him too but then in Johto I somehow felt that he was not the same anymore. He had changed so fast once he lost the Knato league. Then after Johto, he just decided to be another one of Professor Oak's puppets. First Tracey and now him. It's is very unattractive to see anyone be Professor Oak's lackey.

So I'll have to go with Paul for right now.

Gary. Paul's pokemon are badly trained.

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
Gary. He will always be the better rival of Ash and is one of the strongest in the entire anime series. Paul won't stand a chance.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Paul. Better Strategy and uses real Pokemon abilities and takes advantages of Pokemon's stats and weakness. To be fair Paul was invented in a age where Pokemon battles were much better then they were in the days Gary was still around. So if Gary was still a trainer now he might have been the better of the two. But since that is not to be, I pick Paul. Not because he's my favorite character, he was simply created where Pokemon battles are more advance and strategy based. Gary would put up a good fight though, especially Johto Gary.

Status
Not open for further replies.