• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who misses the traveling aspect of the series?

Honestly it doesn't matter that much if there is traveling or not. The underdevelopment of the SM cast is not due to the fact that they aren't traveling, but rather because 1.There is literally no progression in some of their goals and 2.Most of the episodes that are focused on a certain character comes out to be shallow or has no development. A series where Ash stays in one place for the majority of the time can theoretically work, however SM is not a good blueprint to go off of. The thing that SM desperately needs is a refined goal with a defined progression, such as Gyms and Contests. You can easily do that with a stationary setting with the companions traveling to different areas once in a while.

This. Traveling isn't the problem. Just shoddy writing. SM has a lot of that.

Ashton Ketchum

Me too. After all - it's one of the key points. No matter how many strongly did not scold BW saga, but it was all for what we love this anime (well, almost). Adventures, spectacular battles, pleasant restrained humor. And all of this is traded on the tone of "funny" humor. It's like "Pirates of Caribbean 4" without epic and sea battles. One more reason wait 8 gen. Adventures, good humour and epic battles should back (and totally go in shonen way).

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Me too. After all - it's one of the key points. No matter how many strongly did not scold the saga, but it was all for what we love this anime (well, almost). Adventures, spectacular battles, pleasant restrained humor. And all of this is traded on the tone of "funny" humor. It's like "Pirates of Caribbean 4" without epic and sea battles. One more reason wait 8 gen. Adventures, good humour and epic battles should back (and totally go in shonen way).
But what if Gen VIII doesn’t have traveling either? How are you so sure it will go back to that? ._.

Seriously though, it got stupidly boring seeing the same forests 100 times. Being stuck on one island for a lot of the series isn’t much better but tropical island -> generic forests and forgettable anime-exclusive towns.

Ashton Ketchum

But what if Gen VIII doesn’t have traveling either? How are you so sure it will go back to that? ._.

Seriously though, it got stupidly boring seeing the same forests 100 times. Being stuck on one island for a lot of the series isn’t much better but tropical island -> generic forests and forgettable anime-exclusive towns.
Well, this saga is one big unloading. And after that, adventures should return.

ShadowForce720

Well, this saga is one big unloading. And after that, adventures should return.
I wouldn't be so sure about that, your probably making the assumption that gen 8 will have gyms which isn't a safe assumption to make, is it possible gen 8 will have gyms and Ash will be doing the traveling around again? Yes, but it's not safe to say as they could easily do the stationary approach or even try a different approach all together.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I miss it, but a stationary hub at least makes it more fleshed out (though it's detrimental for every other island, we have like 1 screenshot of heahea city, and paniola town was also barely seen, V.P.Canyon, and VERY arguably Wela Volcano are the only non-melemele location that were fleshed out well). It's fine for SM, but it should go back to traveling for the rest of the show (though what I REALLY don't want is "Generic forest clearing #13242"/"Generic pokemon center battlefield #552316" like we had in XY/XYZ)

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Two problems play into Mallow and Sophocles not having enough "development" that I can think off. First of all like most characters in the anime they're either based off of Gym Leaders (or TC in this case) and PC. Usually when they base characters off Gym leaders they make their goal relating to wanting to master the type their in game Gym is based off of (Misty and Iris) or just overall making them a third wheel (Brock, Cilan and Clemont) and since it's ridiculous to have mutiple type master goals they just made them supporting characters. Now the reason why characters Lillie, Kiawe and Lana receive most focus is due to Lillie being based off an NPC who one could argue was the true protagonist of the games. Her story was already written before the show even started and not to mention she's connected to Ash's rival and the main villian of this Generation. Kiawe being older than everyone else played perfectly into him mentoring Ash and teaching him about Z-moves and overall being the most experienced than the rest of the classmates. Lana I can't really explain but I prefer over Mallow and Soph so she can have a pass xD. Sun and Moon's biggest problem to me is the lack of goals (well relevant interesting goals). The only character to have a goal related to Pokémon was Lana and Lillie. Mallow wants to run the best restaurant and I don't even know if Sophocles announced his. I'm not saying Contests need to make a return but randomly slipping in sport episodes and created plots as you go (like Steene's evolution) isn't going to make up for actual goals.

Although I do find it weird people weren't going as hard for DP Brock and post Lumoise Gym battle Clemont to get development as much as Mallow and Soph.
because we had pre-dp brock and early XY/lumiose city clemont, soph has nothing (as of yet, please develop him celesteela episode and hokulani observatory) and Mallow's "joining the group together" stuff barely appeared at the beginning and is gone now.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
I like the Sun Moon anime, but I do miss the traveling aspect, even if there were a lot of similar fillers. I hope they bring the traveling back next time around, except with some new ideas.

DatsRight

because we had pre-dp brock and early XY/lumiose city clemont, soph has nothing (as of yet, please develop him celesteela episode and hokulani observatory) and Mallow's "joining the group together" stuff barely appeared at the beginning and is gone now.

I feel like Sophocles at least gets token efforts at displays and taking part. A lot of people like his chemistry with Ash and Kiawe, and Togedemaru and Charjabug are at least regular comic relief (I like they at least bothered to give an Electric type other than Pikachu some unique utilities as well, even if they're underdeveloped, eg. Togedemaru's Lightning Rod). I'd say we see more bits of involvement or character from Sophocles now than we do Lana.

I'm hoping the Ula Ula arc will give him some development and focus onto his agenda.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
In my perfect world Ash never leaves Pallet next gen because the region will actually all be digital and he just logs in with a headset or something.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
In my perfect world Ash never leaves Pallet next gen because the region will actually all be digital and he just logs in with a headset or something.

I know you're joking, but that would be horrible.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I know you're joking, but that would be horrible.
I'm actualyl serious. I'd love a sci fi take for a region. Or a region in space. Could be a lot of fun

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I'm actualyl serious. I'd love a sci fi take for a region. Or a region in space. Could be a lot of fun
Forget about Iron Man 3-style Ash stays in one place pls! But space could be fun if Team Galactic returns, maybe in Gen VIII if there are DP remakes.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I miss it. Despite being overdone, it's fun to watch. Pokemon is travelling anime.It's as same as example Jackie Chan being cast in romantic movie. You will watch it (maybe enjoy it)and you will miss something buried inside that you will always remember when you watch Jackie( it's an action,his kung fu) Or DBZ, it's as same as DBUltra(per say) turn into crime anime. It's not same thing,though. Or Friday 13th turns into comedy series etc.

Slapstick-Olivia

I kinda miss it to. But I have to say, that a traveling aspect not always benefits the anime. One upside of traveling is to meet a lot of people and a lot of locations. But this can also be a pro and a contra point for the anime. On the upside is, you will meet a lot of different people and locations, but on the downside is, that Ash and co. never really stay long at one place or never really interacted long with the new persons they just met. Most of them are forgotten after the end of the month, because in the next episode they meet another new character and visiting another new town.

With a non-traveing-storyline the writers can take more time to develop the new characters and also the history of the new location and also us viewers can learn a bit more of them. I would for example be never such a huge fan of Olivia, if they only did one or maybe two episodes with her. I got more time to learn about her. What her personality is, what her quirks are, what her role is in the story etc.

Last edited: