1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Who still has an original working battery?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation I & II Discussion' started by Fenixdown, May 26, 2013.

?

Does the original battery still work in your Gen 1 Cartridge?

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    80.3%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    19.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fenixdown

Fenixdown Member

I had just played through Red again trying out a single pokemon run. Finished it with relative ease past the second gym. I wanted to try out a non-starter run, one that would require me to breed for using my Gold cart.

Put Gold in, turn on the game... no save data.

I've owned both Red and Gold since the first year they came out, so I found it weird that Gold was the first one to have the battery go on. So now I'm wondering, how many of you still have the original battery in the Gen 1 carts that still work?

2. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie 桜咲くこの坂を今も上っている

Gold and Silver versions have the life expectancy of six years on average. There's really no surprise there. As for the original Red/Blue/Yellow, I'm not entirely sure, as a clock hadn't been included. There are people whose games still work after all these years, so I think it just depends on the person.

My Yellow version stopped working completely for whatever reason. I don't think the battery died, but it's gotten pretty beaten up over the years (because I sucked at taking care of my things) that I think it just died and never made it to the Yellow title screen again. I still have the cartridge on me for keeps, but it'll never be used again. And it's a shame, I would love to play it again especially now that I know the Mew Glitch does work on Yellow version. I don't know about my brothers, though, they apparently lost theirs. Chances are dust got into the cartridges, so they probably wouldn't work anymore if we ever did find them somehow.

3. MidnightMelody

MidnightMelody Degrassi Student

Just got the original Red today (Japanese) and the man had a new battery in it and everything. Works great

4. Aquarelle

Aquarelle Moderator Staff Member Moderator

My Yellow version is still on its original, still working battery.

My Red, Blue, and Green also have working batteries, but I got those games used so I don't know if the original owners ever changed the batteries.

5. pacman000

pacman000 Well-Known Member

Last time I checked, both Red and Blue still worked. *crosses fingers*

6. Lorde

Lorde Banned

Both my Red version and Blue version cartridges still work fine. I didn't know that the battery on those games could run dry, so now I'm worried that I'll have to replace the battery in the future.

7. PKMNinja

PKMNinja Black Ninja

Mine still hasn't died yet, but my gold, silver, and crystal did. Had to replace the batteries.

8. AuroriumX

AuroriumX The Interceptor

My Red cartridge is now 14 years old and my Crystal 12 years old, both are still working fine amazingly.

9. ☭Azimuth_055☣

☭Azimuth_055☣ Thou enraged?

My Blue cartridge is IIRC around 10 years old and is still surprisingly intact.

10. the ash man83

the ash man83 Avid TCG Fan

I have the same problem as the OP, my Yellow battery still works, and my Gold cartridge is almost dead (it starts up, but it always starts a new game, then freezes shortly after).

11. deh74

deh74 Seine Majestät

My blue version still works and my brother got it when it first came out. My crystal that I got new is also still running fine.

12. AllHailThrall

AllHailThrall Well-Known Member

We (as in me and my brother) lost our copies of Gold and Silver a long time ago, so I'm not entirely sure how those went. We still have a copy of Crystal but its internal battery died quite a few years ago and we don't know how to change out the battery. Yes, I know you can open up the cartridge and replace it with a clock battery of the right make, but we're not electricians and we're afraid of screwing up the cartridge permanently.

We do have a copy of Red, a copy of Blue, and a copy of Yellow, and all three of those save perfectly fine.

13. Shymain

Shymain Shaymin Lover

Surprisingly enough, it hasn't died, in spite of my constant using it... Well, until Gen III... Then in Gen V I started using it again!

14. Blazing Charmander

Blazing Charmander Well-Known Member

My Red, Blue and Yellow versions still work perfectly, but my Silver cartridge's battery died out a couple of years ago. I've been playing my Crystal version exhaustively in the past few months and have clocked up a good 60 hours on it with some rare Pokemon including a Shiny Suicune and some Gen 1 legendaries that I traded over from Blue. My worry is that I had Crystal about a year and a half later than Silver, so i'm thinking that I should transfer my best Pokemon and items to the N64 boxes on Stadium 2 for safekeeping in case the Crystal battery is due to die.

15. 11037

11037 ⊙ᴗ⊙

Just went and fired up my blue version, successfully gave old Blastoise my regards.

16. Bananarama

Bananarama Another trophy

It would depend on the game. My Blue and Crystal work, but Gold doesn't. That's for me, it's different for every other cartridge.

17. Retro-Chaos X

Retro-Chaos X Psychic Aficionado

My Yellow's battery still works, yet my Silver's isn't, however.

18. xYachu

xYachu Spicy Tuna!

My original gold is still working, but seriously my other three games are broken xD (Yellow, silver, blue)

19. Yamask

Yamask Super Barbie

My 11 year old Blue version still works.

20. Dodrio Can't Flap

Dodrio Can't Flap Crackers & Snacks

No idea how old my Red version is, as I got it at a second-hand shop, but the cartridge still looked pretty beat up. It does work perfectly, thankfully.

Anyone have any idea how long the internal battery for the Pokemon TCG game for Gameboy is supposed to last? Last time I checked, my copy of that game worked as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.