• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who stopped watching when 4kids got the boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
I'm curious about something.

I started watching the pokemon anime when I was a kid. For nearly ten years I heard the voices of Veronica Taylor, Eric Stuart, Rachael Lillis and Maddie Blaustein - I GREW UP listening to those guys. To me, they were Ash, Brock, Misty and Team Rocket. They were Pokemon.

I watched hundreds of episodes of that show, getting up every sunday morning to catch it. Through the piles of anime I've seen, Pokemon is my first and favourite, I just love it that much.

So when 4kids lost the dub rights and Pokemon USA took over, I was pretty irked. I thought 'they can't do that! It'd be like changing the Simpsons's VA's - it wouldn't be the same!!' and I was one of the many fans who wrote to them in petition and said that if they didn't keep the original actors, I wouldn't be watching anymore. I would, for the first time since watching it, turn off Pokemon.

And when they didn't...I did. My Pokemon Journey ended, and I'll never see Ash become a Pokemon Master (it was taking him a hell of a long time though, to be fair ¬__¬). I don't regret it, even now. I think the show has been going downhill for a long time, and the handover to Pokemon USA just finally killed the magic. I Have the classic indigo league eps on DVD; that and the memories are enough for me.

But my question is...who else did the same? Is there anyone like me who stood by the old VA's and petitioned, and then kept their word and refused to watch anymore? Did you tune in briefly out of curiosity and change your mind? Or were you never bothered that the VA's changed and kept watching anyway? Let's hear your thoughts.

Dragon Master Fiona

Dragon Master
With me personally, I didn't petitioned anything with Pokemon. I just stopped watching the show after Johto. At the time, the third gen just didn't interest me, in the shows and in the games. I've as recently have tried to get into the 4th gen but I haven't been able to. I can play the 4th gen games no matter what but I can't watch the show. It just has been that bad. The show just doesn't hold an interest anymore. I tried watching the episode that was promoting HG/SS. I was two to five minutes in, I turned off my TV, and started playing my pokemon heart gold (imported by the way). I couldn't stomach it and also it was getting really annoying that Kotone/Lyra was screwing up Dawn's name all the time. The show has lost its magic but I'm glad the games haven't.

Frontier Brain B

I'm that good.
I pretty much stopped watching when it took them forever to get to Goldenrod City, and then I picked it back up at late Jhoto League/AG. But that did not last long either, dub-wise, because 4Kids is pretty ridiculous. They change things that... don't need to be changed. It's not censorship, it's untalented writers who think they're clever. It's dumb.

But, before I go on a tangent, the topic at hand: PUSA's actors are worse than 4Kids' line-up, and I do not watch the dub at all.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
All right, I was able to log on one last time before saying goodbye to SPPf for a week. Time to go out in some freakin' style.

*ahem*

You missed the bandwagon of "BOYCOTT THE DUB" and "DUB IS RUINED" and "NEW VOICES ARE TEH SUCK" a good four years ago. While I'm sure other people thrive through the post-SOVA movement (and they are a dwindling minority, believe me), nobody really cares what they have to say anymore. if you stopped watching, that's fine. Nobody's going to hold it against you. If you want to continue whining about it, however, you're being irritating. We've gone down this road so many times that it's become a futile matter.

Additionally, VA talk is pretty much banned both here and on Bulbagarden due to the extensive warring that has occurred over them. Four years later and that ban still isn't being lifted any time soon.

That said, I noticed there's a handy new topic in General Pokemon Discussion to whine about anything post-Kanto. So I'm going to close this because we're really sick of all this whining, but there are places to mindlessly argue with other people who both agree and disagree with your opinion (although prepare for blanket generalizations and some incredible lack of intellectual reason from either side).

Status
Not open for further replies.