• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Who was the better rival for Ash? Gary or Paul?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XY Rules

Pokemon Master
I think both of them were good rivals for him to have. But Paul really seem to push him to his limits an questioned Ash's sense of morals. This caused Ash to work harder than ever before especially after his first loss to Paul. So what do you guys think?

Also a side question, Gary vs. Paul. Who woul win?
I think Paul would win, if Gary had remianed a trainer like Ash, I'd say they draw.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
As a character Gary was better, but as a rival Paul was better.

Ash and Gary don't even battle a single time in the entire span of Kanto. Their first battle is at the end of Orange Islands. Gary then disappears for almost the entire span of Johto outside of 3 episodes and then they just battle again in the league.

As a character Gary was better, but as a rival Paul was better.

Ash and Gary don't even battle a single time in the entire span of Kanto. Their first battle is at the end of Orange Islands. Gary then disappears for almost the entire span of Johto outside of 3 episodes and then they just battle again in the league.

Exactly this. Gary matured much more quickly and overall was a better character than Paul who took until getting a resounding defeat from Ash in the Sinnoh League before getting the picture, but as a rival Paul was far more of a threat than Gary was, it was deeper as well as more complex, and arguably the rivalry between Ash and Paul is the best one in the whole anime.

SlimeStack

I think Gary is more likeable as a character, but Paul definitely has the rivalry down perfect. Paul's appearances were paced much better and the two of them were mostly on equal footing, they were truly competing to prove which was the better trainer. With Gary, it was mostly a case of playing catch up until the Johto League, which I don't like, it made them too unequal to be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.